Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny O'Connell shocks and sway bars: suspension REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Johnny O'Connell shocks and sway bars: suspension REVIEW

We get asked all of the time for customer reviews of the Johnny O'Connell suspension package. We are starting to phase in these types of reviews on our website, as well as facebook comments. We posted on about amonth ago. But in the meantime, we figured it would be beneficial to post the most recent one that was emailed to us yesterday. If you have a review you want to send us, please do so. Send it to reviews@pfadtracing.com. We would love to hear from you.

Thanks to Stu from NY for sending us this thoughtful review.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, May 26, 2011 at 6:16 AM
Subject: RE: Enquiry from Pfadt Race Engineering
To: Jarrett Bryden <jarrett@pfadtracing.com>

Jarrett,

I completed my 2 track days at the Glen with the Niagara Region PCA. I am happy to report that the Johnny O’ Connell Stage 1 packaged worked great. My corvette is a 2008 C6 LS3 coupe, I have Yokohama AD08 tires on ZR1 wheels. 265 x 18 / 35 front & 295 x 19 / 30 rear. LG front brake cooling kit. Vararam intake, SLP loudmouth exhaust, Carbotech XP 12 front / XP10 rear brake pads, stock cross drilled rotors. Street / track wheel alignment. This vette is driven to and from the track.
The first day on the track I got used to the new suspension package, which is far superior to the standard z51 package. I had the rear sway bar in the middle setting. After I got use to the handling, that night I changed to the stiffer setting. I did run in the competitive driving mode. The handling is very neutral in the corners which gives you a lot of confidence, no surprises. Very little understeer (push) just enough, and no oversteer (loose). Did a lot of trail braking and was able to get on the gas sooner at apex. Some roll but much less that the stock z51 package.
I was running so well and had so much confidence in the car that I was able to pass just about every Porsche on the track, a 911 GT3 was pretty fast, he was my main competition. However, this is not a RACE, but a HPDE. It is not advised to do lap times, but I was hitting between 140- 147MPH on the back straight, but the 11 turns & schcane are where it’s at on this track!

This is a great package for someone who wants to drive their car on the street and take it to occasional track days. Pfadt coil overs would be my next step, but for now I am very happy with the Johnny O Stage 1 package.

Stu

Thanks STU! We appreciate the feedback!

The following users liked this post:
wildling (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

wanted to bump this up since this package is now on sale for the summer!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I have the Pfadt/JOC bars and shocks on my car and ran a personal best at VIR with them. My 2008 Z06 is stock except for the Phadt/JOC bars and shocks and Corsa cat back exhaust. I run on street tires. MY best lap BEFOE the Phadt/JOC suspension upgrade was 2:25.7.

My new personal best WITH the Phadt/JOC upgrade is 2:20.35. That's big/ The car corner so muc better and let me exelrate OUT of turns sooner and with more confidence..

I have the rear bar set to the middle setting. Not quite sure what changing it will do???

The perfect upgrade for a Corvette that sees track days AND street use.

Click for video of my 1 lap personal best at VIR
Old 08-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Fantastic Glen. Glad to see you're dropping your lap times with this kit right out of the box!

Adjusting the rear sway bar will increase the rear roll stiffness. The stiffer you set the bar (the hole closer to the center of the bar) the more tendency the car will have to oversteer. The softer you set the bar (the hole at the outside of the bar), the more the car will generally understeer.

If you found that the car was pushing all over the place, it would be time to set the bar to it's stiffest setting. However it sounds like the car is working great for you right now, so maybe another track day or two before making any setup changes would be good.

Please keep us updated on your progress! Sounds like you had a great time at VIR.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed just the sway bars and dropped 6 seconds off my best lap time at Inde Motorsports Ranch, but I also upgraded my wheels and tires at the same time so I don't know how much each contributed. I do know my body roll is much less than with stock C5Z06 bars and the car's balance is still pretty good. Street manners are still great. It just feels a bit stiffer over uneven, bad pavement, but not harsh. I would recommend them for sure.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:10 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ptindall
I installed just the sway bars and dropped 6 seconds off my best lap time at Inde Motorsports Ranch, but I also upgraded my wheels and tires at the same time so I don't know how much each contributed. I do know my body roll is much less than with stock C5Z06 bars and the car's balance is still pretty good. Street manners are still great. It just feels a bit stiffer over uneven, bad pavement, but not harsh. I would recommend them for sure.
Are you using the center rear bar setting? Or have tried another? I'm tempted to move in a hole and try for less understeer.
The following users liked this post:
vetteboyz06 (02-10-2020)
Old 08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Are you using the center rear bar setting? Or have tried another? I'm tempted to move in a hole and try for less understeer.
Center and I've never changed it, but that's a good idea. I too have understeer but also oversteer at times so I still think its got good balance, but with a bias towards understeer.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ptindall
Great to hear! Keep us updated on your progress as well. Keep driving your cars hard!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 AM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm curious how the cars drive on the street? Also if anyone has lowered the bolts on the car at all and if it has affected street/track manners?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I did the Johnny O bars and Pfadt poly bushing recently with the DRM Bilsteins. Transformed the car. Street ride is firm but not harsh (wife said it felt the same on the highway) and the car is very balanced on the track. Using center rear bar setting too. My lap times on the same tires and same track decreased nearly 2 seconds. My car is lowered on stock adjusters about 75% of what they allow.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I did the Johnny O bars and Pfadt poly bushing recently with the DRM Bilsteins. Transformed the car. Street ride is firm but not harsh (wife said it felt the same on the highway) and the car is very balanced on the track. Using center rear bar setting too. My lap times on the same tires and same track decreased nearly 2 seconds. My car is lowered on stock adjusters about 75% of what they allow.
Helpful!
Thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

I'm curious how the cars drive on the street?
The Johnny O'Connell setup rides very well on the street. We did after all setup the dampers specifically for street drivers who are looking to have a little fun with their cars as well. Most folks have said the shocks ride a little firmer than the OE Z06 Shocks, but aren't as harsh and don't crash over large bumps like the OE shocks do.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Sounds like this + lowering the bolts a little will be ideal for my 80% street 20% HPDE habits - yet still not look 4x4 ish.
Thanks guys.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Most folks have said the shocks ride a little firmer than the OE Z06 Shocks, but aren't as harsh and don't crash over large bumps like the OE shocks do.
So I guess the shocks would be a nice upgrade for my stock, 5-year-old Z06 with ~25k miles on it, eh? I find it "harsh" at times, and yet "sloppy", if that makes sense?

It's a daily-driver, but sees as many track days as I can make it to (~10 - 12 per season). Thinking the shocks alone would be a nice upgrade, even without doing the bars?

Get notified of new replies

To Johnny O'Connell shocks and sway bars: suspension REVIEW

Quick Reply: Johnny O'Connell shocks and sway bars: suspension REVIEW