Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rapid Knocking from Rear Under Hard Cornering/Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Liquid1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rapid Knocking from Rear Under Hard Cornering/Acceleration

At Mid-Ohio for the past two days and am getting a rapid knocking sound from the rear in what I suspected was the traction control. It is a fairly rapid knocking sound from the right rear when the car is under high lateral load and beginning to add power as I track out. I shut off the traction control (still leaving active handling on) and am still getting the noise. There is no active handling message that comes up on the DIC. The noise disappears when the car gets settled on the straight, no problems on turn in and doesn't reappear until I start adding power after the apex.

It is a stock 2008 Z06 running Michelin PS2 ZP rubber in the stock sizes. It has been suggested to perhap checkall the bolts on the suspension. Anyone confirm what this is or have any other ideas on what it might be? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Liquid1
Instructor

Also lugs are tight and checked every session.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Cv joint axle? Check runout
Old 05-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Just went out again and it seems to be increasing. Coming from the right rear only and particularly in right handed corners. Worse when the car is comparatively unloaded, although it occurs even when the suspension is loaded. I'm thinking maybe the right rear wheel bearing going bad? Seems very unusual for a car with less than 10k miles though, even if there are a handful of track days in there.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid1
Just went out again and it seems to be increasing. Coming from the right rear only and particularly in right handed corners. Worse when the car is comparatively unloaded, although it occurs even when the suspension is loaded. I'm thinking maybe the right rear wheel bearing going bad? Seems very unusual for a car with less than 10k miles though, even if there are a handful of track days in there.
Check axle nut-and make sure caliper bracket is tight also
Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

So we checked all of the suspension bolts on the right rear and everything looks perfect. Caliper is on tight and the boots are solid. A couple pther sillier things I'm brainstorming it might be:

-Something with the LSD?
-Wheel bearing going bad?
-Harness bar binding on the hole cut into the side interior piece (doesn't sound like it is coming from this high up)
-Battery cover bouncing up and down (why would it only be an issue under right turn accelerations?)
-One of the other interior parts binding on another (seems unlikely but they were removed to install the harness bar)
Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Check Wheel bearing. I had this happen and it was the wheel hitting the brake caliper.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:26 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

check the TQ on the sway bar as well...those will pop and creak
Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Liquid1
Instructor

There is a service bulletin #07-04-20-002B: Rear Axle Noise or Vibration when Making Turns or Under Hard Acceleration for 2005-2008 Corvettes and 2006-2008 Z06's. It recommends replacement of the rear axle fluid and replacement with a different fluid that contains a limited slip friction modifier for 2007-2008 Z06's. For 2006 Z06's and 2005-2008 Corvettes, if the noise persists, the bulletin recommends subsequent replacement of the posi-traction plates with apparently different plates (not applicable for me since I have an '08 Z).

I will let you all know if this successfully addresses the problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Also forgot to add that the dealer checked the wheel bearings and they looked good so that shouldn't be the issue. I tested a little bit on the freeway onramp (it's obviously no track so it isn't a great comparison but was not able to replicate the noise yet. I'll update the thread after I go to the track next, which may be several months.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM
fastrash
Instructor

Check your frame crossmember just behind your mufflers - as your exhaust heats up, the exhaust ssystem expands and its the mufflers bouncing against the crossmember. Should be able to see some marks roughly in the shape of the muffler housing (outside rim of housing). My 06 Z06 does the same thing when I have it out on track.

Last edited by fastrash; 05-31-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrash
Check your frame crossmember just behind your mufflers - as your exhaust heats up, the exhaust ssystem expands and its the mufflers bouncing against the crossmember. Should be able to see some marks roughly in the shape of the muffler housing (outside rim of housing). My 06 Z06 does the same thing when I have it out on track.
I have an aftermarket exhaust and it unfortunately constantly bangs against the crossmemeber.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

This was not a constant noise. It occurred only in very specific situations, hard right handed corners when I was at least on maintenence throttle or more.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
RagingGrandpa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In any case, I'd have someone put a 160# torque wrench on the axle nuts...
Originally Posted by glass slipper
Tapping or Scraping Noise From Rear Wheel Area (Replace Wheel Drive Shaft Nut) #07-04-95-001 - (09/26/2007)

Models: 2004-2008 Chevrolet Corvette and 2004-2008 Cadillac XLR
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on a tapping or a scraping noise coming from the rear wheel area.

Cause
This condition may be due to the torque on the wheel drive shaft nut relaxing over time.

Correction
Replace the left and the right wheel drive shaft nut following the procedure below.

Remove the center cap from the rim.
Remove and discard the wheel drive shaft nut.
Apply LOCTITE™ 272, or equivalent, to the threads of the axle shaft.
Install the nut and tighten to the new specification.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 215 N·m (160 lb ft).

Install the center cap to the rim.
Important: The vehicle should not be driven for 24 hours following the repair in order to allow the thread lock to cure.
Parts Information
Part Number.....10257766
Description......Nut
Qty................2 (one per side)

Warranty Information: Labor op F9712 0.3 hr.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Check for cracks on your wheels, specifically the spokes.

I have cracked wheels before and under load the hairline fractures open and close with a fast clicking sound that varies with your speed and it only happens under load.

Oli
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

This was not a constant noise. It occurred only in very specific situations, hard right handed corners when I was at least on maintenence throttle or more.
I had similar symptoms that would manifest themselves periodically while on the street and were most severe when under the conditions you describe.
My problem ended up being worn rear sway bar bushings, they were allowing the sway bar end links to knock against the RR lower control arm. I've replaced the bushings and have experienced no more knocking.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM
fastrash
Instructor

I still suggest checking your muffler area and see if its the muffler banging on the crossmemeber. You mention very specific situations - right hand corners which make me think it could be just that. I have the same thing going on at Mid OH. Its and easy check - worth looking before you go looking at the other suggstions. Might save some time.

Get notified of new replies

To Rapid Knocking from Rear Under Hard Cornering/Acceleration

Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

check your shocks, upper mounts specifically. You could not "feel" anything right, just the sound???
Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have experienced track turds being picked up by the tires and flinging off into the wheel wells. It only happens in one turn when accelerating out of the corner. It also only happens at GingerMan Raceway on evening test and tune nights.

I'm not sure if the rubber is hitting fender liner or muffler, but the noise sounded like something major was broken.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Liquid1
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
check your shocks, upper mounts specifically. You could not "feel" anything right, just the sound???
That is correct.

Quick Reply: Rapid Knocking from Rear Under Hard Cornering/Acceleration