Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 C6 T1 Best Brake Setup

Old 05-30-2011, 05:18 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 C6 T1 Best Brake Setup

I am building an 08 C6 into an SCCA T1 race car. What is the optimum brake setup to assure maximum brake capabilities throughout an entire race. Performance first, cost second. Your suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 05-30-2011, 05:19 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

PS it is a Z51 optioned car.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

HardBars AP Racing set up
Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yeah, as long as there's not a weight penalty for the C6s, that's probably the way to go. I think they did away with the penalty for the C5s, but I'm not sure about the C6s yet.

I'm using the Z06/Grand Sport brake set up and it seems to work pretty well. It's cheap, but the pads are no thicker than the stock 2-piston squeezer calipers...but they do last a bit longer. I'm still using my stock Z51 rear calipers. I've got Gary's light front and rear rotors (with aluminum hats) and everything seems to work well.

Welcome to T1...and good luck!!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:51 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been happy with my wilwood sl6 calipers and aerorotors for a couple years. I've tried several different pads (wilwood, hawk, pfc-01, cl rc6) with similar results. However, I've recently discovered that for a 30 minute race, these brakes get too hot and the pedal gets too long/soft unless I back off and brake early. I run castrol srf fluid but my pedal was all the way to the floor in the middle of the race and it sucks to have to give up lap time and position due to braking issues. Once the brakes cooled down the pedal would return to normal. In other words I could run 80-90% all day, but 100% only for about 15 minutes.

If the AP brakes are as good as they sound I might be making a switch before my next race. I just want something that can take the heat of a T1 car for a 45 minute race.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
I've been happy with my wilwood sl6 calipers
thermolock pistons and/or any stainless pad shims?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
thermolock pistons and/or any stainless pad shims?
No, just what came with the LG G-stop kit. I was also thinking I could try switching to the thermlock pistons and try the ferodo 50 mm pads to see if that would help. Where would I get the thermlock pistons? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Where would I get the thermlock pistons? Thanks.
Wilwood just quoted me at $50/each. Guy mentioned I should check with Jegs for a better deal.

I thought the shims were used to protect the pistons as they extended further out so am I reading this correctly in that they assist with heat transfer, or are these two different things?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

No, just what came with the LG G-stop kit. I was also thinking I could try switching to the thermlock pistons and try the ferodo 50 mm pads to see if that would help. Where would I get the thermlock pistons? Thanks.

Will the 50mm pads work with your model Wilwoods?

Oli
Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

My set-up seems to be working fine in my car, although I am racing 200+ lbs lighter than you will.

The pads are thick and do begin to taper a bit, so half way down I just swap them to the other side. It takes all of five minutes to pull them out the top and swap.

Oli
Old 05-31-2011, 01:35 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Wilwood just quoted me at $50/each. Guy mentioned I should check with Jegs for a better deal.

I thought the shims were used to protect the pistons as they extended further out so am I reading this correctly in that they assist with heat transfer, or are these two different things?
you can use spacers or shims for both, for keeping the piston further back in the bore, and use it for heat transfer. many thinner shims will work better than 1 thicker one. I used to run them on some old BSL wilwoods
Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 PM
C&M Racing
Instructor

C6 T1 brake options are stock, Zo6/Grand Sport, or aftermarket 4 piston with 50lb weight added. I used aftermarket brakes on the front last yesr and they worked fine but I an running low power (346RWHP) and did not want the extra weight. This year I am using Zo6 front and rear with decent i piece pads. I am using aftermarket 2 piece rotors as well as ducting.

Wheel clearance is an issue with the Zo6 and aftermarket calipers but the stock Zo6 wheels work on the front. After trying to run classic CCWs with spacers I had to buy some CCW's to get the added space needed for 315 on front. I only run 18s so I can not speak of 17s and what they clear.

I do not know how hard you are on brakes but it might be worth starting out on your Z51 setup with good pads and fluid and upgrade as needed.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Hi Chuck:

There is a little bit of T1 C6 brake discussion going on here:
http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/for...dpage/2#unread
Old 05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
JMB92
Advanced

I have designed a system that uses Stoptech hardware. It's pretty effective. We have run a test day and 4 Nationals and have only changed front pads. No rotors, no calipers. Not cheap, but it will pay you back quickly.

In addition I had an EBCM go bad and lose ABS. The system design is fine without ABS, in fact I set a fastest lap with ABS falied last weekend.

Contact Ryan Kim at Stoptech for details. Mention my name please!

John Buttermore
Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB92
I have designed a system that uses Stoptech hardware. It's pretty effective. We have run a test day and 4 Nationals and have only changed front pads. No rotors, no calipers. Not cheap, but it will pay you back quickly.

In addition I had an EBCM go bad and lose ABS. The system design is fine without ABS, in fact I set a fastest lap with ABS falied last weekend.

Contact Ryan Kim at Stoptech for details. Mention my name please!

John Buttermore
Sorry to hear about the issues you guys had this past weekend, sounds like the car has lot's of speed in it though! Hope to see you guys in a couple weeks
Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Thanks to everyone for the input. Anyone running Brembos?

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 C6 T1 Best Brake Setup

Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cdbmathews
Thanks to everyone for the input. Anyone running Brembos?

Joe A., John Heinricy and the crew and Phoenix are....

Oli
Old 05-31-2011, 05:05 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho

Oli
my understanding is they tested all of the available setups which all had good and bad things attributed to them..they landed on the Brembos being lesser of the evils based off whatever their criteria was.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
dsanders
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olitho

Oli
Bill Loomis was also running the Brembo setup last weekend at Summit Point at the recommendation of Phoenix on his C6. I don't know the specifics but it was a very nice setup. I have been checking on other people's setup because if I decide to do the Runoffs I will need to scrap the OEM calipers I'm still running.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 C6 T1 Best Brake Setup