Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech-powered Camaro GT.Rs finish 1-2 at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Katech-powered Camaro GT.Rs finish 1-2 at Lime Rock

A Memorable Memorial Day as Camaro takes the top two spots on the podium for the second race in a row!

The GT class of the Grand-Am Rolex Series was once again dominated by Katech powered Chevrolet Camaro GT.R’s, this time it was #57 on top with the #88 in second. The sixth round of the 2011 Grand-Am Rolex series, the Memorial Day Classic at Lime Rock Park, followed a new format for this year, a one day event which included 2 practice sessions, a 15-minute qualifying round and concluded with a 2-hour 45-minute sprint race. The weather again varied like it did on race day at VIR, going from downpours in the morning that flooded out the first practice session to sweltering hot and muggy conditions for the race.

The day got off to a wet and slippery start in practice but when the track dried out and it came time to put the power down Robin Liddell in the Stevenson Motorsports #57 captured the GT pole position. The race began with much anticipated bumping and banging on the 1.5 mile bull ring and finished with two Bad-Boy Bowties taking home the glory. The #57 car showed that it was the car to beat when drivers Jan Magnusson and Robin Liddell landed on the top rung of the podium. A superb pit-stop strategy by the Autohaus Motorsports Team and awesome stints by Bill Lester and Jordan Taylor kept the #88 Red Rocket out of trouble and at the front of the pack, after an awesome late race pass which was acclaimed the move of the race by Taylor to over take the #59 Porsche the duo finished in second place and moved themselves into 2nd place in the points.

This weekend the teams used the same Katech LS3 bullets that they used at the prior VIR round but one of the bullets got some extra duty when after the VIR post race inspection the sanctioning body decided they would do an engine audit. The engine from the #88 Autohaus Camaro was removed at the track, boxed up and got an all expense paid trip to the “NASCAR Dyno” in Concord North Carolina where it was put through it’s paces on their in-house inertia dynamometer, afterwards the still healthy as a horse engine was returned back to the team to resume duty at the Lime Rock Race.

Kevin Pranger
Engine Program Manager, Camaro GT.R program

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched and it was a fun race. The passing of the Porsche was a very strong move and he ran away from him. Looks like they could win the chanpionship!

Jim
Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys and your new engine program are ON IT! Great job and congratulations!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like there is a dyno component to the rules - are they a mix of permitted mods and output?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Sounds like there is a dyno component to the rules - are they a mix of permitted mods and output?
Engine power output is limited via sonic restrictor. There are also engine component limitations in the rules.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Please try not to post results in thread titles!!

I was away racing myself this past weekend and DVR'd the race. I've avoided all racing websites and see this.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley

I was away racing myself this past weekend and DVR'd the race. I've avoided all racing websites and see this.
It is worth watching the last 30 minutes.

Jim
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley

SPOILERS SUCK!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great work Katech! Theres been some awesome prep and racing done by both the Autohaus and Stevenson cars in the last couple race weekends. If they keep up the momentum they've gained they're looking good as championship contenders!

We've worked with Autohaus and Stevenson, and can say they're both awesome teams. Wish them the best of luck on a great finish to the rest of the season.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech-powered Camaro GT.Rs finish 1-2 at Lime Rock

Quick Reply: Katech-powered Camaro GT.Rs finish 1-2 at Lime Rock