Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GForce head restraint system, can we talk about it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:11 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default GForce head restraint system, can we talk about it?

Is this it:

http://www.performanceracingonline.c...sourceid=GPPRG

?

I've heard that it is more comfortable, less expensive, and much less bulky. Does it work well? I've wanted to get this set up for a while but I'd like some feedback as to how well it will work for me. I believe I already have a compatible helmet made by GForce.

It doesn't look from this picture like it will work very well with my harness setup, as my harness goes back through my seat and not down my back! lol! Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 06-05-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one and have been using it for about 2 years. The first year was with stock sport seat, and then with a Corbeau seat. Can't say weather or not it works cause I haven't hit anything to try it out.
It is comfortable and doesn't limit head turning much. Just a little.
It takes a little help in getting the down strap set for length. After that, you send the temporary strap back to GForce and they make a permanent strap for you. You have to pay for a new one if for some reason the length needed changes. You also sign a for that says you won't sell it to any one else.
Once everything is set up, using it is no problem. Trap the cf rod under the seat belt straps and off you go. The tighter you wear the seat belts, the better it will keep your head up.
A Hans device will do a much better job, but at at least twice the price. If I could afford on, I would switch to a hans.
I have never seen any one else using this set up.

Steve
Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

^^thanks

I like the idea of it better, if it works, because it just seems so small compact and simple, not big and awkward like the hans. If it does the job, I'd rather have it, if it doesn't, I'm gonna get the hans.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
^^thanks

I like the idea of it better, if it works, because it just seems so small compact and simple, not big and awkward like the hans. If it does the job, I'd rather have it, if it doesn't, I'm gonna get the hans.
G-Force claims it works. I have never seen any test data. Having said that, since I don't have a Hans, i will wear it when on the track. As I said before, I'm not sure how good it is, but it is better that doing nothing.

Steve
Old 06-05-2011, 10:31 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up, it isn't SFI or FIA rated, so you couldn't use it in W2W competition. They get around that by saying it is only compatible with certain "G Force" helmets with "approved" attachment points. If you could, I would spend the extra $$$ and get a HANS. A HANS with sliding tethers gives you plenty of movement. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by ZoomFreakinZoom; 06-05-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZoomFreakinZoom
Just a heads up, it isn't SFI or FIA rated, so you couldn't use it in W2W competition. Thats all I got....
I never considered that it would be, but I can barely afford to do a few HPDE's during the year, so W2W racing is pretty much out of the picture. If I could set up the car to race, I could afford the Hans.

Steve
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

That doesn't look very substantial at all. I have a DefNder and love it.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Don't the hans & defender help some in side impact?

I don't see that this would.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:48 PM
MJM
Drifting

I've heard that it is more comfortable, less expensive, and much less bulky. Does it work well? I've wanted to get this set up for a while but I'd like some feedback as to how well it will work for me.

Thanks.
HANS sport model is pretty cheap these days. Get it with sliding tethers and you can turn your head left and right.

There are zero professional racing series that use the imitators, they all require HANS and have the crash results to prove it works.

Kind of like the old saying about helmets. If you have a $100 head then a $100 helmet is ok, otherwise spend the money.

Matt
Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 AM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Safety Solutions Hybrid Rage (looks like the R3 Rage from the back), it's comfortable, with sliding tethers.

I thought the Hybrid Pro Rage was more comfortable, and is suppose to have good side protection with extra side straps installed.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by travisnd
Why might I want that over a hans? It looks good.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:06 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Why might I want that over a hans? It looks good.
Actually I recently heard they're being sued by Hans and have an injunction against selling any new ones I really like how the shoulder straps fit into the "frame" thing for lack of a better term. I've never worn a Hans, but friends that have them commented on that aspect of the design. I bought it mainly due to price and that it was supposed to fit folks with larger necks a bit better.

I really like it because it keeps the shoulder straps from digging into my neck and it allows me to sinch myslef in even tighter w/o forcing my shoulders to slump/round. Not to mention the added safety benefit. Here I thought I was going to have to get used to driving with it on and I'm actually more comfortable and secure with it than w/o.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
Don't the hans & defender help some in side impact?

I don't see that this would.

If you want real protection from a side impact, your best bet is to get a full containment seat.

Matt
Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is proof that all major race series (F1 down to SCCA amatuer) use a HANS. Not saying the other don't work, but the fact that in the last 5-10 years since HANS there have been a dramatic reduction in deaths (obviously this is combined with other saftey improvements).

It is amazing to see some of these guys get out of 150mph wrecks and just walk away. That is enough proof for me, I use HANS and it is great, no major restriction. Based on my experience, if you need to move your head more than HANS allows, then you should not be turning your head that far while driving on a track (meaning stop looking at the birds on the side of the track and focus on what is in front of you)!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

I don't consider the DefNder a cheap imitiation of the Hans. It has a few innovative features that differentiate it IMO.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:53 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Okay, looking into that defNder, it looks like the best product I've seen yet, due to the way it secures the shoulder harnesses. The company was put out of business by the Hans gestapo as someone else mentioned earlier.

If anyone knows where I can get a defNder I'd appreciate the re-direction.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Not sure if you can get one right now.... a buddy bought a hans sport because he couldn't find anyone with a DefNder in stock a few weeks back.

Get notified of new replies

To GForce head restraint system, can we talk about it?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Just got my defnder from a cf vendor! He still had a few in stock! I searched far and wide and finally found someone with a little stock left and willing to sell!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:47 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The HANS isn't that good at angular impacts, the R3/Rage is and the Defnder looks like it should be as well: http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com...sting-results/
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What do the pros wear around the world?

Quick Reply: GForce head restraint system, can we talk about it?