Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Race wheel Bearing/hub assembly

Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default GM Race wheel Bearing/hub assembly-WCC/LGM part?

Anyone know anything about these GM Race bearings?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...ts_Accessories

Found an old post but not picture:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ssemblies.html

So I found a reference they were made especially for world challenge cars from gm Timken units, but better bearing internals. THese indeed have a spot welded tag on them but the part # is engraved free hand. Since LGM is referenced, I thought to research there to see if the part even existed, but I can't get to lg's website.

Anyone know if something like this would even be close to legit for a world challenge car or just a repackaged auto parts store with a spot welded tag?

THanks

Last edited by NASAblue; 06-10-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

Assuming they are what they say they are, they are pretty much normal bearings. Grand Am/World Challenge teams had sole access to them during the C5 era, now there are other options so GM no longer makes them available (they had a few fronts the last time I called).

I was told by GM racing that they were normal production, no improved parts inside, BUT they pulled some of the best ones (tighter, better tolerances etc) and sent them to GM. The ones I have are marked Delphi Chassis on the box. I have several if you need photos etc.

Unfortunately GM is out of the rears..
Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Posting pictures still remains a mystery, but I did post them as pictures on my user profile page and you can take a look there and they have the captions.

THe boxes they were in were generic brow with cooler like styrofoam stud holders. THey did have some home made looking lables that listed the delphi ssource printed on a similar one unerneath the top lable.

If they are just the best toleranced production bearings, I guess that's worth it. There does seem to be a newer casting design trickling down for the replacement parts as inventories are updated. The flange of the bearing housing appears to be thicker and extendeds further towards the hub/studs. Maybe they are utilizing the new hub casting from current C6 as an update for the 5?

My new in box from Advance Auto Parts National rears clearly have the extended/thickened flange and a bearing bulge at the rear.

Last edited by NASAblue; 06-11-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Race wheel Bearing/hub assembly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Race wheel Bearing/hub assembly