Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check wheel bearing?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Default Check wheel bearing?

Is there a good way to check a wheel bearing before you install it?

I have a bad wheel bearing, alignment place couldn't align because it was bad. 3 and 9 shake test produces a lot of slop. It is removed and in my vice, and it is difficult to reproduce the slop. Other suspension parts appear good.

I have spares, used ones from street cars. I would like to check them. Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 PM
J.Yo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually check by pulling and pushing at 12 and 6 o'clock to check the bearings. Pulling and pushing at 3 and 9 o'clock and finding slop can be the tie rod ends, steering rack or the bearings. Either way, I would push and pull until I'm very sure of where the slop is coming from.

Here's a longshot. Do you have room to mount a wheel onto the "bad" bearing while the bearing is in the vice? This would allow you to yank the wheel around like you did at the alignment shop.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Yo
I usually check by pulling and pushing at 12 and 6 o'clock to check the bearings. Pulling and pushing at 3 and 9 o'clock and finding slop can be the tie rod ends, steering rack or the bearings. Either way, I would push and pull until I'm very sure of where the slop is coming from.
Agreed. Twelve and 6 gets you the bearing. I just ordered new ones, and will get them next week. (Thank you Corvette Recycling!!!) If you still need a tester next weekend, let me know.

As for testing, how about bolting a bar to two of the wheel studs and using it as a lever to gain you some leverage?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:37 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Corvette Recycling ROCKS!!! +1 on the 12/6 testing 'mainly' the bearing.........it could also give you the lower ball joint........
Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Assuming it's for a front hub/bearing, check by using the 12 and 6 o'clock position. If there is any indication of slop in the front hubs, they are (or soon will be) trash.

For C4 front hubs, just bolt the hub assembly on and then bolt on a wheel/tire to check them. No need to install the brake caliper or rotor.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Sometimes you can hold the bearing in your hands and feel the roughness as you turn it. When I had the bearings replaced on my 97 the only way the tech could tell they were bad was to do that check.

Bill
Old 06-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

The drivers front was terrible! A lot of movement, none now with the spare on. I have the terrible one on my bench and it is still difficult to test it. I tried clamping it in the bench vice but that doesn't work to well. I'm familiar with rumbly bearings when turning it.

I changed out the studs too, so pretty tired now.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be doing this later this week. Glad you are up and running.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I read this correct you are looking for an off the car test. Spinning in hand is good and to do a play test mount the hub to a solid surface and then attach a long bar to wheel surface of hub. Now do your 6-12 test and see what the hub shows for free play. In the off season or when I take a hub off the car I check, with a dial indicator the free play. I use the same set-up and compare to a new hub numbers. Measurement numbers depend on your set-up but they should be repeatable. You have to decide when the wear becomes too much.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Could you better describe how you use the dial indicator on them?

I ended up putting the street used spares on and checking them on the car. That worked okay and they were fine, wonder if all the other spares are though. Would like to check without installing. The bearing flexes in my vice to much, can't seem to find a good spot to clamp it.

Get notified of new replies

To Check wheel bearing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check wheel bearing?