Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you tip your HPDE instructor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 PM
diddiyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you tip your HPDE instructor?

I will be attending my firste HPDE event this upcoming thursday/friday and i'm wondering if you tip your instructor or not. i've heard both sides.

what do you do?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tell him thanks he's getting free track time. May be lunch.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:21 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Really not necessary - they are getting free track time. Saying thanks is enough.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm not advocating tipping.....but doing something to show your appreciation certainly isn't out of order. I'm sure I'm not the only long-time instructor that drives very little, so I'm instructing almost purely to help the event and students, not for the "free track time".

Don't have an answer, but it really is a nice thing to give your instructor a sincere "thank you," especially if they do a good job for you!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:44 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by diddiyo
I will be attending my firste HPDE event this upcoming thursday/friday and i'm wondering if you tip your instructor or not. i've heard both sides.

what do you do?
No. It is not really a profession but rather a hobby shared with those of similar interests. As said, we are compensated by free track time (when our cars are fixed/running).
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

No need to tip. Although there are unwanted thrilling experiences at times it is a lot of fun being an instructor. Free track time is nice but getting to know somebody and to help them improve their skills is really gratifying. There is another benefit to instructing as well. I have been in many different cars that I would never have had a chance to ride in. Some times these cars perform quite a bit differently than my Vette so working with a student to maximize his performance with his car can teach me new things as well. One of my first students had an MR2 and as I was coaching him to add more power he calmly said "That's all it has my foot is the floor and all the car has is 134HP". I had to work on coaching him how to drive a momentum car even though the only low power vehicle I ever had driven was my wife's VW Rabbit Diesel. It was a challenge and there was a lot of trial and error effort but both he and I benefited from the experience and we had a lot of fun for two days.

Bill
Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
diddiyo
Racer

ok good to know, thanks a lot

very much looking forward to thursday!

Last edited by diddiyo; 06-12-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

what do you do?
I wouldn't accept any monetary tip. I instruct to help others get involved with this sport. And I get free track time

If you listen to your instructor and do what they tell you BOTH of you will have a great time.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 PM
DCW1
Intermediate

what do you do?
On a couple of occasions -- one where I had the same instructor for an entire day (5 sessions), and one where another instructor rode with me and gave me demo rides over the course of a number of months -- I sent them bottles of wine.

A monetary tip would have felt weird given the instructors' motivation for being there, as described very well by others.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

My first event was in 2003 with the CVCC at Pocono. That night I treated my instructor and his wife to dinner.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Tipping is not necessary. Offer to buy them lunch or something if you feel really grateful.

-Kevin
Old 06-12-2011, 11:25 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Beer (after).
Old 06-12-2011, 11:52 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do it purely to set the hook and get more folks out to experience the thrill of high speed driving (and to teach them how to better control their cars in everyday situations).

Tips are not required..........nor accepted if offered. The big smile on your face will be enough for any instructor.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting question; I think I'd honestly be a bit insulted if a student offered a monetary tip.

If you get a good instructor, a real thank you, maybe a brew or a burger. Mostly, listening to their help, working on your skillz, and not thinking or acting like you already know everything is all you need to do to show appreciation.

And if your instructor is me that means they will be working on their POS car all night Saturday, and aside from a polite offer to help, don't linger too long or they'll feel bad that they can't chat with you...but they really need to finish the car for the race on sunday...

And have some serious fun!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished an HOD event at Thunderhill and as above, a huge smile, firm handshake and the enthusiasm of learning is a great reward to an instructor. Was satisfying to ride with some novices who had never been on a track and follow their steep learning curve
Old 06-13-2011, 12:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Tell the event organizer/event chair/chief of instructors if the instructor did a good (or bad) job. I have never really had a bad one as I was learning, some are better than others though.

Makes my day when the chief of instructors tells me afterward that one of my students had a good experience.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 PM
pewterhdtop
Burning Brakes

The closest thing I have accepted to a tip, I had a student from Idaho visiting and he brought a box of fresh Idaho potatoes for me! Very nice thought and well appreciated. I instruct in order to share my love for this sport, no tipping is expected nor necessary in my opinion. As said above, if a student really enjoys the day/instruction, kind words to that effect to the organizers is well appreciated as well as any suggestions for improvement in approach!

Get notified of new replies

To do you tip your HPDE instructor?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, about $10,000 an hour!

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
Yes, about $10,000 an hour!

Jim
need any instruction?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Tipping is not necessary. Offer to buy them lunch or something if you feel really grateful.
especially with NASA MA, since your instructor meal ticket only covers a drink and burger, or drink and fries, but not all 3

Quick Reply: do you tip your HPDE instructor?