Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine break-in

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 AM
rad_vet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine break-in

Sorry for another dumb question.

I just replaced the motor in my z06 with a new ls6 (over the top with headers). This is my first new engine, so I have no experience starting a new engine. I made the mistake of googling engine breakin and got mixed results. What is the proper break-in proceedure for the ls6? The car is mostly a track car.
Thanks.

Tony
Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a Crate motor ?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I am going through the same process. You will hear many different opinions on this subject. What I have heard (and it may or may not be true) is that GM broke in our original engines prior to installing in the corvettes. Then they filled with synthetic oil and we were good to go. Only the clutch and drivetrain needed to be broken in. However, I've heard the same is not true of the crate engines and that they should be broken in. The way I was told to break it in by a respected engine builder is to run dino oil and do several 4000 - 5000 rpm pulls followed by decels using only engine braking to seat the rings. This could also be done on a dyno I suppose. It's also a good idea to check the tune on a dyno for proper air/fuel ratio. Then go out and beat the crap out of it with good synthetic oil.

However, I skipped the 1st 2 steps of this process and just went out and beat the crap out of it in 2 T1 races right off the bat.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 AM
rad_vet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a crate long block for a CTSV. When I changed the pan, windage tray, and pick-up there was a little oil in the pan. The oil did not look thick enough to be assembly lube.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

run at varied rpm for 4-500 miles and don't scream it to 6 grand plus but don't baby it either.. Dump the oil and beat it.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
run at varied rpm for 4-500 miles and don't scream it to 6 grand plus but don't baby it either.. Dump the oil and beat it.
That is exactly what I did. But I only used amsoil synthetic from the start. I'm getting a bit of blowby so I think I'm going to fill with regular dino oil and try to break it in a little more before the next race. Plus I want to get it on a dyno to check the tune.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Almost everything I have read is use dino to seat the rings & get a good bearing fit. From a few pulls, to 500 miles. Dump dino & put in good syn of your choice.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I filled with Joe Gibbs break in oil, drove a few hundred miles up and down the rpm range...dumped the oil ...refilled and beat the snot out of it.

Note, for my 2nd fill of oil, I kept a bit of the JG break in oil, the JG has good Zinc levels good for break in... Next oil change will be all Mobil 1
Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by redtopz
I

However, I skipped the 1st 2 steps of this process and just went out and beat the crap out of it in 2 T1 races right off the bat.
Hell yea
Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

beat the snot out of it from the get-go or risk lost hp from poorly seated rings.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 06-15-2011, 01:22 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't beat the snot out of it per se, but I would definitely use full power. Keep the revs low at first, then increase them until you're just about banging off the rev limiter.

Thing to remember is cylinder pressure pushes the rings into the cylinder, without that the rings will never find their happy place. And cylinder pressure comes from making power.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine break-in

Quick Reply: Engine break-in