Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

data loggers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15, ‘18, '21

Default data loggers

I was curious if anyone is using a system. I have a go pro camera and once I get a harness bar I will mount it there. I was flipping through the new grassroots motorsports and saw several other systems for data logging. The gtech rr seems priced reasonable but other then what they have on their website I don't have any other info. Anyone using anything?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

What are you wanting the system to do? Do you want to show speed and other data on your video? Do you want to compare your racing lines? Or something else?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 AM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
What are you wanting the system to do? Do you want to show speed and other data on your video? Do you want to compare your racing lines? Or something else?
I would like to keep track of lap times, courses, and where I can make some improvement. Also why I want to video so I can see where I am missing the turns.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by G.Rossman
I would like to keep track of lap times, courses, and where I can make some improvement. Also why I want to video so I can see where I am missing the turns.
The reason I asked is because each system has different benefits and weaknesses. I have been using a unit called Race Chrono that is working well for me. Some of the things I like about it are that it is self contained so I can use it in different cars, and the fact that it shows you in real time how you are doing in each sector. So for example, when you are out on the track you get real time input on what is working and what isn't. It also does a good job for combining your data to the video. The one thing it doesn't do that I would like is the ability to compare video and data between two laps at the same time...like Racelogic or Traqmatee.

Here is a video example that I took last weekend. They were not my fastest laps of the day....but, they were entertaining because of the traffic.

Charley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qaX5FwdwyU
Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

Is this on your phone? Ran a search and that's what it looks like most of the results are.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:49 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

I found the touch screen model.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:55 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

Did the unit take the video? How did you get the gauges up on the video?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:31 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I did an article on data loggers a few months back for Vintage Motorsport magazine. You can find it here. The best advice is to buy a system that your driving coach is familiar with. That way he can help you improve. There are a lot of companies out there with systems. Very few of them offer help after the sale. This is especially true if you purchase online.

One neat little trick is to have one camera out the front and have a second camera on the steering wheel. That way you get an idea of what your hands are doing.

Richard Newton
Old 08-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by G.Rossman
Did the unit take the video? How did you get the gauges up on the video?
Check out MH-Motorsports. http://www.mh-motorsports.com/rc_pro.shtml

Marty Howard is the owner and the US distributer for the RaceChron. Marty is very helpful and knowledgeable of his product.

The unit doesn't take the video. It is a small touch screen that I mount on the dash so that I can easily see it while I am driving. The data is downloaded and merged with the video afterwords. This video was taken with a Contour +.

Here is a picture of where I mount it.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went through the evaluation of datalog systems and decision came down to two:

Race keeper is a good system with data from OBDII and ability to add analog sensors. System with video camera ~$2,200. The software is easy to use. http://www.race-keeper.com/

I went with an RLC unit with OBDII interface and ability to add analog and digital sensors. I included brake pressure and wide-band sensors that RLC offers as well. The base unit is $1100 and you can add a ChaseCam system ($1000) with video is integrated into the data log. You have to manually synch the GoPro video file. The software very robust and shows track lines in relation to track edges and graphics for sensors with ability to compare laps/sessions. http://www.rlcracing.com/products.htm

Great customer service from RLC.

Last edited by Corvee; 08-23-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To data loggers

Quick Reply: data loggers