Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why index on the steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:54 PM
matteo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why index on the steering wheel?

I'm sure there is an obvious answer so I feel a bit stupid asking but,
why do many racers have a tape or whatever at the top of the steering wheel?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's simply a point of reference where 'straight' is. It also helps align quick-release steering wheels when putting them back on the hub.

Mike
Old 08-21-2011, 01:18 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Some guys use to confirm they are unwinding steering wheel properly at track-out (after apex, coordinating with throttle application, etc)
Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I used it in ice racing. When you are ice racing you have to crank in lots of lock in both directions very quickly and you can lose track of were straight ahead is because there is almost no self centering torque. A mark on the steering wheel is important so that you can put the wheel where it needs to be and let the car come to you..
Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 AM
matteo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx guys,
I have a tape on my wheel and occassionally get asked why, so nice to have a proper answer . I may look stupid but prefer not to open my mouth and confirm the observation.

*Harrydirty-that pretty well confirms what I thought.

*Short-Through - my wheel alignment guy thought it was an easy referance to ensure that the steering wheel was straight when setting the alignment.

*Solofast-I used to ice-race and agree that it's sometimes difficult (FWD) to know where the wheels are pointing.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

It helps you know that you have the wheels straight ahead when you in your pit box for a tire change. It's a NASCAR thing.

Richard Newton
Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

In an endurance race you may run off track or run over something and if the indicator is not centered you know you are wearing the front tires due to out of alignment.

Jim
Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Because it looks cool

Just kidding - with so many reasons popping up this thread I just had to add one more
Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default more to this than I 1st thought

Originally Posted by matteo
I'm sure there is an obvious answer so I feel a bit stupid asking but,
why do many racers have a tape or whatever at the top of the steering wheel?
Maybe there is more to this than what I first thought. Here is what I found:

More tech info

Handling Troubleshooting Guide
(tape method)
Oversteer (loose) and understeer (pushing or tight) handling problems on Circle Tracks can be caused by great variety of vehicle parameters. Stock race racing, dirt track modifieds can all diagnose the specific causes with the steering wheel and tape method of troubleshooting.

To diagnose your handling problems use a small piece of white adhesive tape on the steering wheel. Place the tape at the top of the wheel when the front wheels are centered and pointing forward.

Now keep track of where the tape is when you drive through the turns. You will notice that in some handling conditions the tape is farther around the wheel and at other times it will be near the top of the steering wheel. Use the following sections to help diagnose the probable causes for different handling conditions.

TAPE AT TOP OF WHEEL
If the tape is straight up but the car is still turning, the car is considered to be in an oversteering (loose) condition. Automotive engineers call this condition the "Critical Speed." This is considered the limit of stability for an oversteering car. Race car drivers, of course, can control a race car well beyond this point, but the approach to chassis set-up is different past this point.

If the tape is somewhere between the top of the wheel and a normal steering angle (as when driving through the corner at a slow speed) then items such as rear axle steer and rear tire slip angles should be addressed to change your race car's handling. If the tape appears as described here, review the Chassis Set-up At The Rear For Cornering page and/or the Rear Suspension Geometry and Computerized Chassis Weights software pages for an understanding of how to change this handling condition.

If you race on dirt and have to apply opposite lock steering (turning the steering wheel in the opposite direction of the turn, i.e.dirt track style), then the rear tires are most likely spinning/sliding and your approach to chassis set-up must be different. If you have this condition, review the Dirt Track Set-up At The Rear For Cornering page and/or the Computerized Chassis Weights software page for an understanding of how to change this handling condition.

TAPE LOCATED WELL AROUND THE STEERING WHEEL
If the tape is turned past the normal steering angle (as when driving through the corner at a slow speed), then this condition is considered to be understeering (pushing or tight). When you have this condition and the additional steering angle does not make the race car turn sharper, then it is likely that the front tires can not generate enough cornering force and the tires are starting to slide. If you have this condition, review the Front Suspension Set-up for Cornering page and/or the Front Suspension Geometry Pro software pages for an understanding of how to change this handling condition.

If the tape is turned past the normal steering angle and the additional steering does make the race car turn sharper, the car is still considered to be understeering, but your approach to altering this condition should be different. If you have this condition with your race car, it most likely due camber issues on the inside wheel or slip angles and you should review the Front Suspension and Slip Angles page and/or the Computerized Chassis Weights software page for an understanding of how to change this handling condition.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:42 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I used it when I did short track to see how much the alignment changed after I hit someone, no make when they hit me. I was never the bad guy
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Maybe there is more to this than what I first thought. Here is what I found:

More tech info

Handling Troubleshooting Guide
(tape method)
Oversteer (loose) and understeer (pushing or tight) handling problems on Circle Tracks can be caused by great variety of vehicle parameters. Stock race racing, dirt track modifieds can all diagnose the specific causes with the steering wheel and tape method of troubleshooting.

To diagnose your handling problems use a small piece of white adhesive tape on the steering wheel. Place the tape at the top of the wheel when the front wheels are centered and pointing forward.

Now keep track of where the tape is when you drive through the turns. You will notice that in some handling conditions the tape is farther around the wheel and at other times it will be near the top of the steering wheel. Use the following sections to help diagnose the probable causes for different handling conditions.

TAPE AT TOP OF WHEEL
If the tape is straight up but the car is still turning, the car is considered to be in an oversteering (loose) condition. Automotive engineers call this condition the "Critical Speed." This is considered the limit of stability for an oversteering car. Race car drivers, of course, can control a race car well beyond this point, but the approach to chassis set-up is different past this point.

If the tape is somewhere between the top of the wheel and a normal steering angle (as when driving through the corner at a slow speed) then items such as rear axle steer and rear tire slip angles should be addressed to change your race car's handling. If the tape appears as described here, review the Chassis Set-up At The Rear For Cornering page and/or the Rear Suspension Geometry and Computerized Chassis Weights software pages for an understanding of how to change this handling condition.

If you race on dirt and have to apply opposite lock steering (turning the steering wheel in the opposite direction of the turn, i.e.dirt track style), then the rear tires are most likely spinning/sliding and your approach to chassis set-up must be different. If you have this condition, review the Dirt Track Set-up At The Rear For Cornering page and/or the Computerized Chassis Weights software page for an understanding of how to change this handling condition.

TAPE LOCATED WELL AROUND THE STEERING WHEEL
If the tape is turned past the normal steering angle (as when driving through the corner at a slow speed), then this condition is considered to be understeering (pushing or tight). When you have this condition and the additional steering angle does not make the race car turn sharper, then it is likely that the front tires can not generate enough cornering force and the tires are starting to slide. If you have this condition, review the Front Suspension Set-up for Cornering page and/or the Front Suspension Geometry Pro software pages for an understanding of how to change this handling condition.

If the tape is turned past the normal steering angle and the additional steering does make the race car turn sharper, the car is still considered to be understeering, but your approach to altering this condition should be different. If you have this condition with your race car, it most likely due camber issues on the inside wheel or slip angles and you should review the Front Suspension and Slip Angles page and/or the Computerized Chassis Weights software page for an understanding of how to change this handling condition.
If you need a piece of tape to tell you that, you need to get your butt calibrated.....
Old 08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

This thread makes me laugh. When I drive, I look where I'm going. If I'm going straight, then I'm going straight. I guess other drivers look only at their steering wheel, to determine if there going straight.

Steve A.

Get notified of new replies

To Why index on the steering wheel?

Quick Reply: Why index on the steering wheel?