Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy way to simulate the airbags for use with race seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Easy way to simulate the airbags for use with race seat

My plan was to make a set up that would allow me to quickly swap out my stock seat (which I use for daily driving) with a race seat for HPDE's. I also want the airbags to be active for the trip to and from the track. I am using the Vetteworks Simulators. But, the normal installation requires pulling the stock harness out of the stock seat. To make the switch out easier I ordered a replacement seat harness from one of the forum vendors. Seat harnesses can be ordered two ways....with heat and memory....or without. The harness without heat and memory is only ~$25 (vs. $100+ for the other one). In addition to the harness you will need three plug in simulators (two for pre '08 cars). One simulator is for the seat airbag, the second is for the seat position sensor, the third (for '08+ cars) is for the seat belt pretensioner.

Here is a picture of the three simulators. The two yellow simulators (airbag and pretensioner)fit together and make one plug. The black plug attaches to the harness and simulates the seat position sensor.

Here is a picture of the harness (without heat and memory).

Here is a picture of how I modified the harness. You only need the pink and green wires going to the seat position sensor (or simulator in this case)

This is what the seat area looks like with no seat. The yellow plug is for the seat airbag (and pretensioner in '08+ cars). This is where the two yellow simulators plug in. The wide black plug is where the harness plugs in for the seat track simulator. The black simulator plugs into the other end of the harness.

I hope this is helpful for others.

Charley

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 02-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:11 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charley,

I sent you a PM. Any help or advice you can provide will be much appreciated
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mfquinn
Charley,

I sent you a PM. Any help or advice you can provide will be much appreciated
I responded....Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Charley
Old 11-30-2014, 12:31 AM
gp2race
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
My plan was to make a set up that would allow me to quickly swap out my stock seat (which I use for daily driving) with a race seat for HPDE's. I also want the airbags to be active for the trip to and from the track. I am using the Vetteworks Simulators. But, the normal installation requires pulling the stock harness out of the stock seat. To make the switch out easier I ordered a replacement seat harness from one of the forum vendors. Seat harnesses can be ordered two ways....with heat and memory....or without. The harness without heat and memory is only ~$25 (vs. $100+ for the other one). In addition to the harness you will need three plug in simulators (two for pre '08 cars). One simulator is for the seat airbag, the second is for the seat position sensor, the third (for '08+ cars) is for the seat belt pretensioner.

Here is a picture of the three simulators. The two yellow simulators (airbag and pretensioner)fit together and make one plug. The black plug attaches to the harness and simulates the seat position sensor.

Here is a picture of the harness (without heat and memory).

Here is a picture of how I modified the harness. You only need the pink and green wires going to the seat position sensor (or simulator in this case)

This is what the seat area looks like with no seat. The yellow plug is for the seat airbag (and pretensioner in '08+ cars). This is where the two yellow simulators plug in. The wide black plug is where the harness plugs in for the seat track simulator. The black simulator plugs into the other end of the harness.

I hope this is helpful for others.

Charley
What's the part number for the harness without heat and memory for $25
Old 11-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks Ill be using this in the spring
Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 383
Thanks Ill be using this in the spring
Hello Dan from Vetteworks. This will make the airbag simulator installation on the driver side much easier. If you have telescopic steering, you will need to use pn-88995325. All these harness are available though Chevrolet.
I'm not aware of $25.00 driver seat harness from GM.

C6 Corvette Driver side seat adjustment harness for 1LT no option, no memory or telescopic steering. $42.00

C6 Corvette Driver side seat adjustment harness with seat airbag, without memory. $77.52

C6 Corvette Driver side seat adjustment harness with memory for 3LT. telescopic steering. $146.00
Old 12-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

It has beer a few years since I did this modification. I purchased the basic wire harness from Parts taxi.com (who is no longer in business). I just checked the price for the basic harness on GM parts house and it is about $30 plus shipping. With this set up the power telescoping does not work. I would simply put the wheel where I liked it before I swapped out my seat. I believe if you want to use the telescoping wheel you will have to swap out several of the boxes in the seat, which wast worth the effort for me.

Charley
Old 12-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
It has beer a few years since I did this modification. I purchased the basic wire harness from Parts taxi.com (who is no longer in business). I just checked the price for the basic harness on GM parts house and it is about $30 plus shipping. With this set up the power telescoping does not work. I would simply put the wheel where I liked it before I swapped out my seat. I believe if you want to use the telescoping wheel you will have to swap out several of the boxes in the seat, which wast worth the effort for me.

Charley

If you want to keep the telescoping steering wheel you can get around using stock seat the memory module. You will need two relays wired to replace the switching electronics inside the memory module. I did this and then used my Pfadt seat wiring harness to plug the relays into the car's electrical seat harnesses. Works fine although since it doesn't have the current limiting features of the module you can run the steering wheel out a little further than the module will allow.

Bill
Old 12-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you want to keep the telescoping steering wheel you can get around using stock seat the memory module. You will need two relays wired to replace the switching electronics inside the memory module. I did this and then used my Pfadt seat wiring harness to plug the relays into the car's electrical seat harnesses. Works fine although since it doesn't have the current limiting features of the module you can run the steering wheel out a little further than the module will allow.

Bill
How much further can you extend the wheel? Im 6'5" and my knees are right on the wheel with it out all the way out
Old 03-10-2015, 11:57 AM
jwebsta32
Racer

I have bought some airbag simulators for my racing seat install, but I am wondering if there is something else ill need for a 2LZ C6Z?

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=109
Old 03-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

What about C7s?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:45 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Originally Posted by jwebsta32
I have bought some airbag simulators for my racing seat install, but I am wondering if there is something else ill need for a 2LZ C6Z?

This kit will work for the Airbag in the seat and the seat position sensor.
If your not going to use the stock seat belt, you will also need a pretensioner simulator. Note: 2013 C6 vettes have a very same system as the C7 Corvette. 2013 C6 use a different Airbag Simulator. Call Dan at Vetteworks for details.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:46 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
What about C7s?
Design is In the works!!!!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwebsta32

It's been a long time since I did this... and my memory isn't perfect (to say the least). But, from the picture in the link it looks like you are missing one of the yellow pieces (The posted picture looks like it is showing the parts for two seats). If you look at the picture I posted you will see that there are two yellow pieces that attach to each other, each one has a resister in it. One of the yellow pieces simulates the Seat air bag and the second yellow piece is required for 2008+ cars and it simulates the Seatbelt pretensioner. Together the yellow pieces plug into the harness on the car. Then their is a black piece that simulates the seat position sensor.

Charley

P.S. I agree with the above post...If you have any simulator questions... Dan at Vetteworks is the guy with the answers. He set me up with all of my simulators.... I just made the harness.

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 03-10-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Easy way to simulate the airbags for use with race seat

Quick Reply: Easy way to simulate the airbags for use with race seat