Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Why does my left axle seal leak after 4 sessions?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:57 AM
5vetteman
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP! Why does my left axle seal leak after 4 sessions?!

Hi Guys!

Hope someone can help me!

1999 FRC.

So far I have done 3, 2 day events with my car. After 4 sessions, at all three events, with brand new axle seals in for each of the second two events, the left seal starts leaking. When I took it apart after the second event, the bearing that is pressed into left cover was floating on the axle. It had walked out. I thought that happened again this time, but it did not.

Any ideas? The vent in top of the diff is not clogged. The axles are not worn. I had the whole thing apart before this last event.

I am going to Lime Rock Monday, and can't go if I can't get it stopped!

Thanks!

Rick
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying you replaced the left seal after you put the inner bearing back and pinned it in place? or is it the same seal that was used both before and after the bearing was repositioned?

When you repositioned the bearing what did you do to keep it in place so it did not walk out again?

Wondering if the bearing could be pulled back into position with you removed the drive shaft (Axle)? Might be that the bearing was really off when you were running.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

New OEM seals (bought from GM) or new Autozone or other seals?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 AM
5vetteman
Advanced

The seals were new GM OEM seals each time. This time it started noticeably leaking on the second day.

I did not do anything to hold the bearing in place. I say walked, but it could have been me too, I just find it hard to believe. I thought maybe when I changed the seal at the track last year, I had knocked it out with the axle when I put it back it. The axle slides so easily through it though that I don't think so. I have not taken it apart yet today, but I can tell the bearing is still in place, because when it was not, the axle had a bunch of slop. We were going to lock-tite it, but it seemed to have plenty of press fit. It did not come out this time.

We were indeed driving at least the last couple sessions at my last event with it floating on the axle, but I don't think I had knocked it out the event before, because it would have leaked right away I think.

Rick
Old 08-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the diff vent. You can get a brass hose barb fitting that is close to the fill pug thread, Screw it in gently so as not to damage the fill plug threads, stick a hose on it and blow into the hose. You should be able to overcome the differential vent spring and hear the air escape out of it. If not you need to pry the cap and spring off and unstick the rubber disc.

Last edited by Han Solo; 08-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM
5vetteman
Advanced

Checked, it is not clogged. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Check the diff vent. You can get a brass hose barb fitting that is close to the fill pug thread, Screw it in gently so as not to damage the fill plug threads, stick a hose on it and blow into the hose. You should be able to overcome the differential vent spring and hear the air escape out of it. If not you need to pry the cap and spring off and unstick the rubber disc.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Why does my left axle seal leak after 4 sessions?!

Quick Reply: HELP! Why does my left axle seal leak after 4 sessions?!