Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front splitter and wing, Katech or alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front splitter and wing, Katech or alternatives?

I am doing about 10 road track events per year in my C6 -05. The car was a Z51 but has over time got Pfadt Aggressor chassie, StopTech ST40 calipers and 355 mm rotors, Quantum Motorsport ducts, Vararam air, Kooks longtube headers and a tune from Torq. I am either running Toyo R888 or Hoosier R6. On my hometrack PBIR, I am about 11 seconds faster with this setup compared to everything stock. But then of course, 400 laps also helps out.

My next modification with the car will probably be an aero kit. Since this is my daily driver I am reluctant to put on a race wing on the car. I have no intention to try to look as I am living in Fast and Furious. But on the other hand, I want to make sure an aero kit actually makes a difference in lap times.

The most sophisticated information I have found so far is coming from Katech in this white paper http://www.katechengines.com/street_...a%20report.pdf If I go with a splitter with undertray and the wing in glassfiber (I am thinking of painting both in the color of the car to make it less visible) it will be $2,000.

Also, are there other kits out there that can be recommended from a price or performance standpoint? I was quite excited when a friend in dedicated race car was doing 2-3 seconds better with an APR wing and front splitter with undertray. APR to be found here http://www.aprperformance.com/index....d=32&Itemid=45

Is there anyone on this forum that has made a similar conversion and recorded any time improvements? Or just any kind of experiences are highly appreciated.

Posting a link from Homestead in July. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS6op98gmps

PeO.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 AM
bobk469101
Advanced

my personal experence with this vendor . i would not buy anything from them no way no how. if you want to know more pm me.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

I have the Katech fiberglass splitter / undertray, side skirts, and rear spoiler. Love them. Fit and finish is beyond compare. Performance is well documented.

Great for a daily driver/ DE car.

Better choices for a dedicated track car.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:17 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the Katech FG splitter w/ undertray and the side skirts. I ordered my GS w/ the stock rear spoiler when I bought the car. I can 2nd Dan's opinion. I think they are quite good. I had a very large improvement in time around LRP after installing them. Others did the timing so not sure how accurate the gains were, plus traffic @ HPDE could have also been a factor. Even if my actual improvement was half what was recorded, it would still be worth it. I have only about a dozen track days under my belt so I am still in the steep part of the learning curve. Some of the gains were likely from the Katech add ons and some from just getting a bit better.

I looked at a lot of options before I chose Katech. IMHO, if your looking for performance from the splitter, there really isn't anything that comes close. Certainly a specialty race shop could make something better but from the vendors, I concluded Katech was best based on the size of the undertray. The next best I saw was LG's but Katech's U/T is much longer. If longer is better, it's no contest. Looking back, I am confident I made the right call on this mod and I can't say that about some others.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Excellent feedback. Both positive and negative. I am in contact with Bobk, just to make sure I learn from made issues.

PeO.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by bobk469101
my personal experence with this vendor . i would not buy anything from them no way no how. if you want to know more pm me.
Which vendor?

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Hey Jason - do I get the vig if PeOR comes a callin'?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Hey Jason - do I get the vig if PeOR comes a callin'?
I have no idea what that means.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I have no idea what that means.
It's a betting reference. It's the fee a bookmaker charges, the percentage the house gets whether you win or lose. Want to bet $100 on the Packers, with the vig it might cost $110. You win, you get $90, you lose, you pay $110. I was suggesting a kick back for the positive feedback left above - kidding of course.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

KATECH! You won't be sorry!

Jim
Old 09-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not believe you can bolt the Katech splitter to the base C6, but it appears APR makes a unit that fits. I have owned both the Katech CF unit and the APR for C6Z06. The APR is heavier and does not integrate a full undertray. For street appearance purposes, the choice does not matter. But if you are planning on tracking the car -the Katech unit is more functional. However, if you have an off-track excursion you may rip either unit off the front - an expensive error that will eventually occur if you are pushing it. Plus, with extended use, you are likely to wear through the carbon fiber undertray, another expensive repair or replacement. Unless you are into glamour, I would stick to a stock front and save the money for my track budget.

The Katech or APR rear deck spoiler will fit both the base C6 or Z06. However, you may achieve better balance with a GM full width or ZR1 spoiler and save a few bucks -assuming you do not incorporate a splitter on the front.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Since when is a race spoiler on a race car fast and furious? Is the c6r a ricer to?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:23 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Performance

Corvee - I am not after the visual performance, only the actual difference of being able to have higher corner speeds. But do I want to pay for splitter repairs when hitting the curbs or going off track? Or even worse, when I don't clear a speed bump on normal roads? I don't know. Since it is also daily driver, that is something I have to investigate further. You might have a point there.

VGLNTE1 - You are right about that. A C6X would be a pretty cool thing.

PeO.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by bobk469101
Not counting links, there are about 10 "vendors" mentioned in the post you reference.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 AM
neilvosko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could someone provide a link for the under tray for the vase model? i also have the base z51 with brake ducts and want to get the katech front splitter and side skirts want the undertray.

thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 AM
neilvosko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c6 base
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by neilvosko
could someone provide a link for the under tray for the vase model? i also have the base z51 with brake ducts and want to get the katech front splitter and side skirts want the undertray.

thanks
We don't have an undertray for the base model, only Z06/GS/ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To Front splitter and wing, Katech or alternatives?

Quick Reply: Front splitter and wing, Katech or alternatives?