Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is tommy milner ready for corvette racing????

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:02 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is tommy milner ready for corvette racing????

WTF?

Nice move today in Baltimore! I really feel for Olivier Beretta having to be paired with a novice. Sure Milner was fortunate enough to be on the winning team at Le Mans, and has substantial seat time racing. But is the talent pool so shallow that Milner is the best the team can come up with as a driver for a world class team?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

He was a big reason that the 73 car won GTE. That was a dumb mistake. If I'm not mistaken, o'connel did something similar at lime rock last year.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZ FASTEST
WTF?

Nice move today in Baltimore! I really feel for Olivier Beretta having to be paired with a novice. Sure Milner was fortunate enough to be on the winning team at Le Mans, and has substantial seat time racing. But is the talent pool so shallow that Milner is the best the team can come up with as a driver for a world class team?
Tommy Miler is a world class driver. His dad started PTG, Prototype Technology Group, that used to run the Factory BMW M3 GTR's in ALMS and also ran the Panoz LMP1 cars. They now run the Panoz Abruzzi, or what ever there is of that car that actually runs. Tommy has a lot of experience and usually drives with lots of maturity. He made a mistake, something every driver does.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:06 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I was thinking this today...also a very stupid mistake at road america
Old 09-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

If you watched what Milner did back on June 12, I'd say he's ready. He MAY need to calm down a little though.......
Old 09-04-2011, 08:11 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

June 12th and the aftermath may have been the worst thing that could have happened to him. It's not as easy as he made it look at LeMans, and since then he's had everyone telling him how great he is.

He's ready, maybe just needs to shrink a hat size or two now.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Very disappointing day!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
I was thinking this today...also a very stupid mistake at road america
yep same thoughts here
Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not trying to be overly harsh on young Tommy! If anyone should, it would be Doug Fehan. Again, I respect his ability. I just question if he is up to snuff for the Corvette team. And to quote my shop teacher from the dark ages, "I don't care who your dad is!"

His comment as posted on the Corvette Racing website:

"The team is giving us great cars and making the right pit calls, but lately I've not been holding up my end of the bargain," Milner said. "It was a tough race. On the restart I was protecting the inside from an LMP car, and as we went into the braking zone, Bill braked earlier than I anticipated. I put myself in a situation where I braked hard and locked the fronts, and made unfortunately made contact with him. That effectively ended our race right there."

Oops may cut it in NASA or SCCA but not in ALMS.

Revisit some of his other comments regarding other "mistakes" this year:

Road America: That gamble nearly paid off as Beretta was running third in the No. 3 Corvette C6.R after taking over from Milner at 1:28 into the race. Milner was back in at 2:36, and stopped for fuel and two tires at 3:02. On the out-lap, he spun off in Turn 13 and damaged the right-side suspension.

"If I hadn,t wrecked, that would have been the right call," Milner said. "It,s frustrating because we had such a really good car today. We ran quick laps when I was by myself, but in traffic it,s hard to run to the capabilities of the car. We put on two tires to go to the end, and the car was tough to drive with two sticker tires. I turned in for Turn 13, the rear was loose and I had to catch it. I was off the line, and there,s a big bump at the exit. I tried to avoid it, but got the car sideways and into the wall."

Mid Ohio: As the rain intensified, Milner had contact with another GT car and spun in Turn 8, rejoining the race in sixth.

Mosport: "The No. 3 Corvette was really, really good, the best I've driven all year long," said Milner. "My spot today was Turn 5, where a lot of people were getting held up in traffic and I was able to get underneath them entering 5B. It's a pretty safe spot to pass, and you can rub fenders there without it being an issue. I got a number of passes done there, but then we had that contact in Turn 10. Unfortunately we have a few drivers who need more seat time, especially running with other class cars. I gave him a lot of room going into 9, but he wanted to race me. The result was I got spun out."

I realize all the team pushes hard, but you just need to know when!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

You have to learn. I am sure all you guys could do much better!

Jim
Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Well, that could have gone better..

good race though, looks like this one will stick.

(unlike the DC GrandPrix)
Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Painrace
You have to learn. I am sure all you guys could do much better!

Jim
With all due respect Jim, it's a points race for a championship, not a school.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZ FASTEST
With all due respect Jim, it's a points race for a championship, not a school.
It is easy to look from the outside and comment. Who knows, maybe someone keyed the radio. It looked to me like he just did not brake soon enough. Something happened, he was going way too fast.

It has happen to everyone including me, points race or not.

Hey, maybe some gal pulled her top up. I had that happen to me twice.

I like your hood, Rudy!

Jim
Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

No one in their right mind would have tried that pass on turn 1. That was as rookie of a mistake as I've ever seen. If he wasn't close to the lead, I'd almost say it was done to take the BMW out on purpose.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:36 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
It is easy to look from the outside and comment. Who knows, maybe someone keyed the radio. It looked to me like he just did not brake soon enough. Something happened, he was going way too fast.

It has happen to everyone including me, points race or not.

Hey, maybe some gal pulled her top up. I had that happen to me twice.

I like your hood, Rudy!

Jim
LOL loved the getting flashed comment jimbo
Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Well since they HAD to move Johnny and Andy to the premier racing series World Challenge, where the ultimate Sports Car Cadillacs run, they had no choice to bring in a relative novice into the IMSA seat. You know really, there just aren't that many good Corvette drivers around, so recruiting the son of the former BMW factory team owner was an absolute necessity.

I'm sure the incidents involving the BMW's were just payback to BMW for taking the factory US funds and giving them to Rahall

the above statements are obviously satire.....any similarity to reality is purely coincidental....
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 AM
racerbob4
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Well since they HAD to move Johnny and Andy to the premier racing series World Challenge, where the ultimate Sports Car Cadillacs run, they had no choice to bring in a relative novice into the IMSA seat. You know really, there just aren't that many good Corvette drivers around, so recruiting the son of the former BMW factory team owner was an absolute necessity.

I'm sure the incidents involving the BMW's were just payback to BMW for taking the factory US funds and giving them to Rahall

the above statements are obviously satire.....any similarity to reality is purely coincidental....
David you have me on the floor laughing.....paybacks in road racing????
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Is tommy milner ready for corvette racing????

Old 09-06-2011, 12:13 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Old 09-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I love it!

Andy and Johnny are running on Friday at 1:25 PM at Road Atlanta 9-30-11! Both are GREAT guys and drivers. And, Johnny has his auction on Friday night.

Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvandentop
LOL loved the getting flashed comment jimbo
It happened twice to me and I also loved it! Both times were after the race on the cool down lap. It may have happened more but I did not see. AAAHHHH, the good old days!

Jim

Quick Reply: Is tommy milner ready for corvette racing????