Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep this or trade for a C5/C4 track car?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Keep this or trade for a C5/C4 track car?

So I already have my C5 vert and acquired this other vehicle before I purchase mine. It has been fully worked over with A LLLLLOOTTT of money dumped into it. It's an 89 LS1 IROC and I'm considering either using this for the track, or trade it for another corvette C5/C4 but track only. What would you guys do?

Here's the mod list(copied from previous owner, gonna try to clean up the spelling and grammar lol):

Tubular parts:
K-member
A-arms,
Torque arm
Rear lcas (idk if this is his typo)
Panhard bar

-3 inch exhaust
-cross bar
-Torque-arm is bolted to crossmember not trans, everything is chromolly,all adjustable, except for a arms

-C5 brake kit
-QA1 coil-overs front and rear
-Subframe connectors
-4 point roll bar
-Custom Autometer dash from classic industries
-RKT-56 fully built trans

It ran 13.0 with a stock engine and trans 60 ft was 2.02 i belive mph 113

Only thing done performance wise was a 4.10 rear and full exhaust slp loudmouth cat back

The plus is virtually every nut and bolt under the car has been replaced

The car also weighed in at 3270 lbs.

He really liked drag racing but I can't stand that stuff, road racing is what I love. VIR

Worth is nearing 15k at least. Again, what would you guys track?(even though your slightly a bias crowd )

Last edited by TriplBlk; 09-05-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd run what you have. It's almost always cheaper than building from a street car. There may be $15k into it but I bet you'd be lucky to sell it for $6k.

However, that assumes it fits into the class you want to run. If you're planning to HPDE it, then no worries.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I'd run what you have. It's almost always cheaper than building from a street car. There may be $15k into it but I bet you'd be lucky to sell it for $6k.

However, that assumes it fits into the class you want to run. If you're planning to HPDE it, then no worries.
Well I had the idea to basically straight trade for a car already built(seen ones on here for around 11-12k)

But selling for 6k? I couldn't imagine that lol, there's actually more than 15k into it. Wouldn't it be nice if ppl could get back what they put into it?

I don't like that it's solid axle, I'd love to switch it for another track C5
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A car being set up for drag racing is going to be quite different than the way one would be set up for road course work. It would probably be cheaper to modify the suspension and other items on this car rather than trading it and starting over.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
A car being set up for drag racing is going to be quite different than the way one would be set up for road course work. It would probably be cheaper to modify the suspension and other items on this car rather than trading it and starting over.
That's how I feel about it being too different. You think I don't have a chance to trade someone with a C5 already track built?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It's an 89 LS1 IROC
Go with IROC

Challenge is the Drag set up is very different the a road course set up. Changing the suspension and the IROC set up would be the least expensive way to go. and you never know Nasa TT or Camaro Mustang Challange or the American Iron racing may be in your future

If you can sell the IROC to a drag race crazy. then do so.

a C5Z or a C5 coupe manual then make conversions as you can to a track car set up.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree with many of the earlier posts..... You will not recover even fifty cents on the dollar for money already invested. A good C5 with a little bolt on help would be a much better track car for a road course

Get notified of new replies

To Keep this or trade for a C5/C4 track car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keep this or trade for a C5/C4 track car?