Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCCC Speed Event Classing

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default NCCC Speed Event Classing

Would like opinions on Group classing for NCCC Speed Events. My car has mostly Group 2 modifications, I normally run 2E. However I do have an Big Mouth Intake Manifold from TPIS. In accordance to NCCC Classification Rules, a performance intake manifold and a non GM approved replacement part makes the mod a Group 3 mod. However, section 2.6 paragraph 3 of the rule book says:

3. The entrant is responsible for declaring the appropriate and legal group and class in which their Corvette will be competing. The Technical Inspection Committee is responsible for verifying and validating the entrant‟s group and class selection as required. When Corvettes are classified by the Tech Committee, they MUST be placed in the Class with the least modifications for which they qualify. Example: If a Corvette is qualified for both Classes 1D and 2D, it MUST be placed in the 1D Class.

This being said, am I a Group 2 or Group 3 car?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

The intake must be stock for the class for Group 2. An aftermarket intake puts you into Group 3. The part of the rulebook you quoted doesn't apply, because the lowest class that the car qualifies for is 3E, not 2E.

I'm surprised no one has noticed the intake.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
The intake must be stock for the class for Group 2. An aftermarket intake puts you into Group 3. The part of the rulebook you quoted doesn't apply, because the lowest class that the car qualifies for is 3E, not 2E.

I'm surprised no one has noticed the intake.
The intake looks the same as a stock intake as far as having a plenum and runners and then manifold. The only difference is the manifold itself has slightly larger ports. Now the Mini-Ram is a totally different intake and looks similar to a LT1/LT4 intake.

I thought that lowest class meant 2E not 3E. And in the example from the rulebook it says car would be placed in 1D not 2D.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by l98tpi; 09-07-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

You could cheat and declare 2E and hope they don't catch it - or be honest and declare 3E and talk to the folks in tech at the event. Its up to you to declare the correct class.

The rule you quoted does not apply to you since its an engine modification.
If you don't like that answer talk to your regional competition director.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

The new manifold no longer allows the car to be classed in 2E so your lowest class is now 3E.

I will give you a real life example of the rule you quoted (I did not know of that rule before this event).

Earlier this year my dad and I went to a NCCC event with his bone stock '92. We were the only drivers in 1GS but there were some in 2G. We upclassed to 2G just so we would have more people to run with, even though we had some plain jane street tires on the car. No one had a problem with it until we beat the 2G cars and "took their points away". Then someone looked up in the rulebook that we had to be classed in 1GS since we didnt have the correct tires for 2G. Oh well...

Last edited by Kubs; 09-07-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Obviously I misunderstood the meaning of lowest class. That being said, I guess I will decide which way to go with the car from here. There are not many group 3 cars around here and I didn't want to have to install a roll bar for high speed.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It was fun running with you in Defiance, Ohio. Un-fortunatly, you are a 3E car, unless you put on a stock intake. Probably not much performance gain anyway at the low RPM's an L98 turns. I put my time and effort (and $$) in the suspension tuning and alignment and stay in Group 2.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There used to be an easy way to switch from a group 1 car to a group 2. That was to remove the spare tire. But now that is allowed in group 1 and 1S. The only thing I see that can be an "easy" modification to move up to group 2 is to "Remove miscellaneous engine and exterior trim items." So if you have the plasic covers over the valve covers (i.e. C5) you can remove those and move up to group 2.

Some other things I see you can easily do to move up if you happen to have the parts with you:
remove mufflers (if event site allows)
replace bellows between air filter and intake with a smooth bellow
change air cleaner housing
Use non stock size wheels
use Targa-Truss on C4 coupes
Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by NASCAR314
It was fun running with you in Defiance, Ohio. Un-fortunatly, you are a 3E car, unless you put on a stock intake. Probably not much performance gain anyway at the low RPM's an L98 turns. I put my time and effort (and $$) in the suspension tuning and alignment and stay in Group 2.
Tom, fun trying to catch you in Defiance. Thanks for the input. The suspension is this winters project. We already had that planned. I know there is more to be gained with the suspension vs power on the autox. I probably will try to stay in GRP 2, seems to be more cars in 2 than 3. Hope to see you next year.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you want to run against another 3E car, we have a guy here in Indiana that is running his white 94(?). He is only in 3E because he is running a big brake kit on the front. Otherwise he would be a 2G because of an aftermarket air cleaner. He still runs on street tires. If interested, we have a 14 event weekend at Grissom AFB on Sept 17-18 and another on Oct.29-30. Visit http://www.indianaregion.org/Flyers.html for more details.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by vettehardt
If you want to run against another 3E car, we have a guy here in Indiana that is running his white 94(?). He is only in 3E because he is running a big brake kit on the front. Otherwise he would be a 2G because of an aftermarket air cleaner. He still runs on street tires. If interested, we have a 14 event weekend at Grissom AFB on Sept 17-18 and another on Oct.29-30. Visit http://www.indianaregion.org/Flyers.html for more details.
Thanks for the invite. I have wanted to run at Grissom sometime, heard it was a fun course to run. We have an WOH event on OCT 16th, so I may try to make it up for the 29th and or 30th as long as we don't already have snow, .
Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll be at Grissom, will be in my 1SK 2006 Vette in September and October both. Hopefully the course is simalar to the August event (fast), as street tires hold up better on the surface at Grissom and I'm just about out of race rubber for the C4 for this year.

Get notified of new replies

To NCCC Speed Event Classing

Quick Reply: NCCC Speed Event Classing