Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any C5 Rack Replacement Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any C5 Rack Replacement Tips?

I replaced my power steering pump w/an AC Delco rebuilt, flushed system several times, replaced high pressure hose. At Summit Point FATT event, I still got tightness in the streering on both left and right turns. The tightness was more pronounced after 2-3 laps.
I am assuming that the seals are worn in the racks and it's time for a rack replacement. Before I replace the rack is there anything I can pour in the reservior that will fix the tightness?
If I'm going to replace the rack. GM has no racks anywhere in the US. NAPA rack is about $425. Anybody have any experience with non-GM parts...or, are all the racks, whether GM or non-GM are made by the same outfit?
Can I do this job in my garage by putting the front end on jack stands and turning wrenches until the rack comes off? Do I need a transmission jack to support engine cradle? ...I assume the cradle bolts have to be backed off to get the rack off.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:01 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

While researching my ps issues, I noticed on the Turn One website, they offer steering rack rebuilds for like $200. If you are not in a hurry it might be an option. Curious if anyone has used this.

An older guy at VIR told me a few years back when I started tracking my Z to have another rack ready. I should have listened. Good luck with it.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

www.ls1howto.com has a nice C5 heads/cam swap with detailed pictures. One of the early steps is getting the steering rack out of the car. Done it a few times and it's not too big of a deal. A nice set of flare wrenches helps in dealing with the PS lines.

I would send it to turn-one for their rebuild vs. taking your chances with a random reman rack. There are no new C5 racks in production... all rebuilds now.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Turn One rebuild for $200 sounds good. The flare wrenches with short handles too sounds like a plan.
I'll also go with some Redline fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To Any C5 Rack Replacement Tips?

Quick Reply: Any C5 Rack Replacement Tips?