Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set-up Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set-up Question

Still learning and curious: It would appear that most of you run a square set-up, (18's front and rear) on C5 Z06's. So why did our Z's come from the factory with 17 - 18 wheels if 18 square is optimal?

Has anyone had success with 17-18 combination?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I can't really explain why the engineers at the General went with the 17/18 wheels, but I'm sure they had a good reason for it.
I've been using that set up since I began running my car, and I'm just as fast as the guys that run the 18/18 set up.
One or two guys that I've spoken with about it say they run the 18/18 to eliminate the front end push. I balanced my car with suspension upgrades which really need to be done anyway if you're serious about being competitive.
The only reason I can see to make the switch is so that you have 4 wheels the same size - fewer spares to carry maybe since all the wheels are the same size. Other than that, I don't see any benefit in making the change.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The choice for the 17/18 setup was picked by GM styling, and that choice was made before there was any thougth of a Z06 option. It really didn't have anything to do with performance. The ride and handling group wanted 17's all around to help soften the ride harshness that was the result of the run flats. The styling guys wanted the bigger rims to help the look of the car. There's a section in the book "All Corvettes are Red" that talks about the staggered wheel decision, but bottom line was that performance wasn't a consideration.

The skinny wheels and tires on the front for the base C5 was a result of the aerodynamics guys trying to hit their numer for drag coefficient. That defficiency was fixed on the C5Z by going to a 9.5 inch wheel. That allowed the 275 section tire up front that you need, even though the car was delivered with 265's.

Lots of guys run a square setup, but obvioulsy you have to adjust the setup with more front roll stiffness to get the car balanced if you go that way. Either can work, and driver preference enters into it just as much as cornering grip. Remember you are giving up speed on the straights (due to aerodynamics) going square, but likely gaining in the corners.

Get notified of new replies

To Set-up Question

Quick Reply: Set-up Question