Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

External Oil Cooler Plan of Attack

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Default External Oil Cooler Plan of Attack

Currently I'm running a generic S-loop cooler (48K btu) as an external oil cooler on my stock LS1. Recently I've noticed a drop in oil pressure, and was wondering if a plate-type cooler would have a lower pressure drop.

Then you get into single-pass vs dual-pass coolers. Then my head starts hurting.

Any words of wisdom? BTW, limit this to external coolers only please.

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a C5. Bottom feeder.
I added a Canton takeoff block, 2 remote oil filters and a 34 row (45-60k btu) Setrab cooler. It is mounted to the radiator ($5 zip ties), up towards the top, in the middle. Feed and return lines are on top, which makes for messy radiator sealing unless you use bulkhead fittings and build a custom shroud. I also used -12AN lines, to minimize pressure drop.
I have plenty of oil pressure (60+) and oil temps always in the high 190s regardless of the length of the run session.
I use a special thermostat to control oil temps to/from the track. It is a piece of pressed and corrugated wood pulp that is custom fitted over the cooler (i.e. raggedy piece of cardboard). With no cardboard, highway oil temps are 99F. With cooler, oil temps are 145-150F, in traffic they get to 170F.
Water temps are well under control. I use a DeWitts radiator, no shroud and a 16" 2500cfm Flex a Lite Lo Boy fan (118, puller). The fan is overkill - I think a 12" or 14" would suffice. I have never seen water temps above 215 or so, even in NYC traffic pulling a trailer full of slicks. Traffic temps are usually around 200 or less, have not seen track temps above 210. The key ingredient to cooling, I think, is ditching the stock fan shroud.

I run straight water, with a bottle of wetter and pump lube.
I have a stock LS1 - I would say a 25 row cooler is plenty adequate. I am moving to an LS6 next year and may consider trying a 25 row and the in-line Mocal 200F oil t-stat (which I understand keeps oil around 185-190F). I have heard that 180-200F oil is ideal, so maybe I'll just keep the 34 row, add the mocal t-stat nad ditch the cardboard blocker.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Water temps are well under control. I use a DeWitts radiator, no shroud and a 16" 2500cfm Flex a Lite Lo Boy fan (118, puller). The fan is overkill - I think a 12" or 14" would suffice. I have never seen water temps above 215 or so, even in NYC traffic pulling a trailer full of slicks. Traffic temps are usually around 200 or less, have not seen track temps above 210. The key ingredient to cooling, I think, is ditching the stock fan shroud.
Very curious about your removal of the factory shroud, have you noticed any adverse affects from removal??
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Zero. It is there so the fans work better when the car is in traffic, but a strong fan with no shroud is more than adequate.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I mounted two B&M coolers, one on each side of the grill, back a bit, barely block the radiator so no preheating as 90% of the air flows out and into the wheel wells since they redirect the air 45 degrees. One is for the trans, the other for oil, Accusump installed as well.

In cooler weather I almost have to block them off, towing temps are almost to cold on really hot days, no track time yet, still have not finished my roll bar design

Rick
Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I have a stock LS1 - I would say a 25 row cooler is plenty adequate. I am moving to an LS6 next year and may consider trying a 25 row and the in-line Mocal 200F oil t-stat (which I understand keeps oil around 185-190F). I have heard that 180-200F oil is ideal, so maybe I'll just keep the 34 row, add the mocal t-stat nad ditch the cardboard blocker.
Fixing to buy the big Setrab for my car as I can't seem to keep oil temps down. 295* this weekend at VIR in 90* ambients. If you are going to do the 25 row anyway, why not make me a good deal on your 34 row and go ahead and get yours now! Seriously . . . pm me.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

295 w/o an oil cooler is low!! I was up to 320F w/o an EOC on my one and only track day w/o a cooler, when I first got the car.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm confused here..

Are you guys running big HP/big blocks or something?? I've been running my stock LS1 for three years now at various HPDE's in and around MI, and my oil has never reached those temperatures. The highest I've seen was 274 F on track with 90+ day and humidity in the 50% range at Autobahn, full track. No coolers, fans, extra hamsters, nuthin'.

Only power mods I have is the Vararam, Kooks headers and 3" mid and catback.

Maybe I'm not runnin' hard enough...??
Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

I'm running a blown setup so that's why I'm battling cooling issues.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Armycop
Now I'm confused here..

Are you guys running big HP/big blocks or something?? I've been running my stock LS1 for three years now at various HPDE's in and around MI, and my oil has never reached those temperatures. The highest I've seen was 274 F on track with 90+ day and humidity in the 50% range at Autobahn, full track. No coolers, fans, extra hamsters, nuthin'.

It depends a lot on how high you spin the engine. If you run mostly one gear higher than you really need to then temps are more easily controlled.

That said, 274 degrees is well into my personal Yellow range on the temp "gauge". I'd definitely be taking a "cool down" lap to get temps down to 250-260. It may not be necessary, but my engine's got 230K+ miles on her too.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by GOTHAM VETTE
I'm running a blown setup so that's why I'm battling cooling issues.
Okay, I can see why you are having heat issues.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Armycop
Now I'm confused here..

Stock '99 LS1
At VIR with 105* ambient running DE/ Practice laps for 20 - 30 minutes I was seeing oil temps in the 270* - 280* at the end of the session with no coolers and no mods unless you count a cool suit.
During the races I would see temps in the 310* range within 10 minutes with no coolers. During the race you are running hard at rpm's between 4500 - 6500 all the time. At the end of the races the temps were still around 310*

Get notified of new replies

To External Oil Cooler Plan of Attack

Quick Reply: External Oil Cooler Plan of Attack