Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People who have ran Road America

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12
Default People who have ran Road America

I was talking with a local corvette shop and he really makes me worried about doing a trackday there. He makes it seem quite dangerous and that I will crash. He said I should do autocrossing first. Maybe hes just trying to look out for me, but It makes me wonder if it is REALLY that bad. I've been out there on sportbikes, but not in a car. Ill be going with my ex g/f's dad who has been out there and never had issues.

Im not going out there to lay down the fastest time. Just to learn my car, and have some fun.

Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The track is awesome. Tough on brakes and with the long straights you get to hit some unbelievable speeds. I don't recall any issues from the last hooked on driving event there. Its up to the person driving the car to know their limitations.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Thats what I figured. I had no issues with my bike on there. And I also plan on being over-prepared (better parts than REALLY needed)

If im driving around at 75 mph then whatever. lol. I dont have to push my limits unless im comfortable.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It's my favorite track. I will be there in October with the MVP group. As you say know your limits and ease in to your comfort level.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just because the track allows for high speeds does not mean you have to go there. Use your brain and lift way before the 5 markers on the straight-a-ways. Remember to be slow in and fast out so you don't overshoot any turns. The track is hard on brakes only if you brake late and try to stand on them like superman every time.

Know this, you can find trouble at any track event if you're behind somebody who drops fluid and it finds it's way to your tires, it's rare but can happen.

Go out and enjoy yourself.

Mike
Old 09-13-2011, 09:25 PM
BTech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a great track to experience. Make sure your car and brakes are ready. Spend some time with an instructor, you'll be fine.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I started out there and had no trouble. I recommend high temp track pads! What event are you attending?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:45 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Im waiting for the guy to get back to me with some even info. it wont be until next year.

Who do you recommend?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 PM
autoxer6
Racer

I live 25 minutes from Road America and prefer to drive 3 hours to Autobahn since there is more run off room. I dont like driving 8/10th's, and I am not willing to drive 10/10th at Road America due to the concrete barriers.

If you have run track days on a bike there, then you understand what it is about. You just need some track pads and fresh brake fluid.

I autocross (almost) every event in Milwaukee at Miller Park. You should come down to the National street tire challenge this weekend or one of the other events later this year. Just sign up online, your car will be fine for autocross as it is now. You will get more comfortable sliding the car around there first. You are welcome to ride with me if you come.

Chris Shay (#4 P for local events)
Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I would like to do an AutoX event....although i hate milwaukee....and Im worried the cones will confuse me. I dont know why, but I had a hard time during my motorcycle safety course with their routes.lol

I have to get an alignment really bad, so I wont be able to make it this weekend.
But what pads and brake fluid do you recommend? I have stainless lines I need to put on.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

no guts no glory.....I say GO FOR IT.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Awesome track out there for sure. I went out there for the Corvette World Tribute. I drove fri, sat and then sun. By sunday I was pushing pretty hard. I saw a z06 get destroyed hard out there, ping ponging from wall to wall after turn 11. That track will certainly bite you hard, but you've got to know the car is all. Drive within your limitations and just ease up in the real problem areas. Road America is HIGH on my list at this point...awesome track!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BTech
It's a great track to experience. Make sure your car and brakes are ready. Spend some time with an instructor, you'll be fine.
Brake a bit early into 1, 5 and 12 and enjoy

and report back to us on your experience, with pictures too
Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by rtpassini
Im waiting for the guy to get back to me with some even info. it wont be until next year.

Who do you recommend?
I really like NASA, HPDE4 and no point by needed. They have only been having one event per year though. Try and make this Oct. event! If you plan to go often they have a time trial program. There are many other good clubs with events. Check the event list sticky topic at the top of this section.

Use some Carbotech pads, 12 in the front and 10 in the rear.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by rtpassini
I would like to do an AutoX event....although i hate milwaukee....and Im worried the cones will confuse me. I dont know why, but I had a hard time during my motorcycle safety course with their routes.lol

I have to get an alignment really bad, so I wont be able to make it this weekend.
But what pads and brake fluid do you recommend? I have stainless lines I need to put on.
CAstrol SRF fluid and Carbotech RP2 on front and XP10 on the rear.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I didn't mean to scare you at all, but RA needs to be repected.

I tell anyone thinking about running RA the same thing.

Depending on experiance - and in most cases the people who ask me are new to there Corvette and have never been on a race track - besides maybe lunch time touring which IMO doesn't count.

Start out at a local Autocross this will give you a chance to push the car hard enough to few what the car is going to do at the limit. Will it push - will it get loose etc.

Then do a track like Autobahn or Blackhawk - moreso Autobahn because there is a lot more run-off room and you can pick the speed up and learn more about your car without having a lot of concret around.

Then you are much better prepared to run RA. I don't tell people this to scare them but I do think RA is an intimidating track and needs to be approached a little differently - especially if you are going to push it.

Can you just go out and run RA - absolutely! Especially if you have the attitude that you want to just take it easy and not "master" the track.

Pretty much everyone that has posted in this thread knows me and can tell you I didn't mean to scare you I was just looking out for you and want to make sure you have to confidence in yourself and your car to make your weekend at RA as much fun as possible.

Honestly out of all of my friends and customers (well over 50 people who have ran events there) I can only think of a handful that have had incidents at RA.

I post my annual Mid-west track events list as a sticky here and on the Great Lakes page. Look it over and let me know if there is anything that looks interesting and I can usually give you feedback and recommendations as to what events are better than others.

One thing that I did forget to mention is that you should go out to RA and get a ride along with someone. I would recommend coming out to the track for the MVP event - Tmiller and crew will be there and I know a couple of instructors that would be able to give you a ride and show you the line etc.

Joel
Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Thanks again for all the info. I will be looking into trying out an autocross event just to get to know my car. And if Im able to be off work, Ill get to an MVP event.

I have yet to meet anyone more willing, and nice, to share their knowledge as much as you have. It really is awesome having someone like you so close.

I just checked the schedule and should be able to at least be there on the 16th. For a ride along, what kind of helmet do I need?

Last edited by rtpassini; 09-14-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To People who have ran Road America

Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Approved helmets have a Snell 2005 or 2010 sticker on them. I will bring an extra helmet out there if you have a hard time finding one.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Just because the track allows for high speeds does not mean you have to go there. Use your brain and lift way before the 5 markers on the straight-a-ways. Remember to be slow in and fast out so you don't overshoot any turns. The track is hard on brakes only if you brake late and try to stand on them like superman every time.

Know this, you can find trouble at any track event if you're behind somebody who drops fluid and it finds it's way to your tires, it's rare but can happen.

Go out and enjoy yourself.

Mike
This is excellent advice from a guy who knows (and so do many of the other guys who have replied in this thread).

I was pretty nervous for my first trip there, I guess because of some of the things people say about it. I had the good fortune to have Mike with me (he actually drove the first laps in the car on the track) and in 20 minutes he brought me up to speed as far as the line and the places to be respectful and careful.

I would say - don't miss the opportunity to drive your car there, especially since you already know the track from your bike. Just be careful and have a blast!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Brake a bit early into 1, 5 and 12 and enjoy and report back to us on your experience, with pictures too
I concur. I let off at the end of the pit wall on the right, and also let off early into 5 and 12. Lotsa people seem to have troubles at turn 5. The only turn where there seems to be wall contact (due to no runoff) seems to be the "kink"...I would be very careful there, and hit your marks I would also agree with the suggestions for Castrol SRF and race pads.

Quick Reply: People who have ran Road America