Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebedding Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:56 AM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebedding Brake Pads?

I didn't properly bed in my brake pads. Now I have a bad vibration when I break hard. Checked rotors, no cracks ,they look good.
What is the best way to rebed them? I Was going to sand the pads
And Schottch Brite the rotors. Then rebed them.
Thanks. Tris
Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't speak to sanding, but this happened to me once when I had pad compounds that were not very compatible. After researching it I read that if you drive around and do some "cold" braking (normal street driving/braking) the friction will remove the uneven pad deposits that are causing the judder. I drove the car on some street trips and could feel it improving pretty quickly and in a short time the brakes had no vibration. When you reach that point I assume you could then try to re-bed your pads.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I occasionally get this (I drive my car to the track). I have found this goes away after one hard session, which will clear off the uneven deposits.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Sandpaper on both pads and rotors. Then clean them off with a can of brake clean.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:41 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Can't speak to sanding, but this happened to me once when I had pad compounds that were not very compatible. After researching it I read that if you drive around and do some "cold" braking (normal street driving/braking) the friction will remove the uneven pad deposits that are causing the judder. I drove the car on some street trips and could feel it improving pretty quickly and in a short time the brakes had no vibration. When you reach that point I assume you could then try to re-bed your pads.
I haved the same experience. The judder basically just goes away on its own after a bit.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys , i'v driven the car a about 200 miles on the street sence the last track day. I'll go and rebed the brakes when l get home Sunday.
Thanks agin Tris
Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c.../swapping_pads
Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I occasionally get this (I drive my car to the track). I have found this goes away after one hard session, which will clear off the uneven deposits.

I have had the same experience as Ben.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to add that I cannot believe anyone would spend the time to take sandpaper to their discs. It is so boring and take forever compared to murdering the brakes 8-10 times. Brake pads are abrasive and will clean off the deposits. You don't need to get the Hawk blues or whatever JRitt @ Essex recommends to get the job done (though I am sure they work well).
Also, I never bed pads, other than stabbing the brakes 5-6 times to get the pads up to temp on my out lap. I'll give a medium heat cycle to discs, to avoid heat shock (cripples rotor life in my experience, particularly with the cheap blanks). NASCAR teams spend some bucks for that heat cycle on a brake dyno and I think they are on to something.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by quickc6
I didn't properly bed in my brake pads. Now I have a bad vibration when I break hard. Checked rotors, no cracks ,they look good.
What is the best way to rebed them? I Was going to sand the pads
And Schottch Brite the rotors. Then rebed them.
Thanks. Tris
I had it really bad at LS. Felt like my car was coming apart. I have switched to other rotors (stock) and no more problem.

I can see uneven deposits on the rotors that vibrate.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Rebedding Brake Pads?

Quick Reply: Rebedding Brake Pads?