Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:40 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmet sizes?

By next season, after winter, I will finally have my C3 ready to roll at auto cross events, and maybe even a few runs on Lime Rock, once I join the CT Autocross & Racing Team (C.A.R.T).

The last piece of the puzzle. Helmet. How do I know what size to buy? There are no racing helmet stores, where I can stroll in, and try on a few to see what I like. I'm pretty much going to have to order one online, either from summit, or some other vendor. Any thoughts? I don't know what size head mine is...it seems pretty normal to me. Might even be small, never really bothered to compare...
Old 09-16-2011, 06:39 PM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Here's a link that should help explain it pretty well.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/index.cfm...TOKEN=36092868

Remember that fit varies by brand, a Bell does not fit like Pyrotect and so on. Go to a local motorcyle store and try some on, it will help get you in the ball park.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 PM
diddiyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those bell sizes are pretty spot on. i was right in the middle for a medium sized helmet when i measured my head. therefore i ordered a medium bell m4 and it fits like a shoe. well, like a helmet
Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Hey, bike helmets! Never thought of that. Thanks, guys!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:58 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bell sizing chart is very good, I just bought a large and it was the perfect size based on my measurements. I was told that the bell helmets are good if you have a narrow head and the simpsons are good if you have a wider head.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

The helmet should fit tight around the crown of your head, across the brow (about a finger width above your eye brows) and over your cheeks. It should feel like it is forcing your cheeks into your teeth. When the strap is fastened the helmet should be tight against the crown of your head and you shouldn't be able to lift it upwards. One other fit test you can do is to have somebody pull on the back side of the helmet trying to rotate if forward off your head. If they can move it that way the helmet is too large. When I purchased my last Helmet it was an Impact 1320 and I had a hard time determining whether to go with a Medium or Large. Both fit tight but the large fit across the brow better. The medium rode up too high.

To put a full face helmet on you should grab both sides in your hands with your fingers in the face plate hole and thumbs under the bottom of the helmet and then pull it down over your head. This is much better than pulling on the straps.

Bill
Old 09-17-2011, 08:20 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I dont know if AS helmets are the same, but motorcycle helmets are supposed to be so tight its slightly uncomfortable. It will eventually break in and fit perfect.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 AM
KevinK
Drifting

I don't want a full face helmet...I think I would prefer open face. My C3 has no AC, and without a roll bar, I have to run with the T-tops on. With headers, it get's...HOT...inside the cockpit, to say the least. Great in the winter in CT, keeps me cozy. But autosports is a summer sport. I think open face will allow me to more easily wipe sweat off my face between laps. And I'll feel less like I'm suffocationg.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

you can open the mask on full faces
Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Originally Posted by rtpassini
you can open the mask on full faces
Yeah, but they still cover your nose and mouth, right?

I used to fumigate houses, and man I hated having the SCBA on, even though it ventilated really well. When I'm breathing heavy, as I'm sure you do when racing, I just hate the feel of having that around my mouth or nose. Makes it feel like I can't breath that well, even though I know I can.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Sort of. Its not tight to your face. And some have vents you can open and close for the mouth. I never had the feeling I was wearing a respirator or anything
Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For autocross, open Vs. full face probably does not make much difference in safety, however my wife moved me to a full face after going to Watkins Glen last year and seeing a guy have to go to the hospital for facial injuries from impacting the steering wheel w/ an open face helmet during a tire wall collision. BTW, he had a five or six point harness and racing seat. I guess he didn't have the harness very tight!

Jim
Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Kevin -

You might want to reconsider a full faced helmet as NJ Motorsports just this year started a new requirement for it. I'm not sure if its a new trend, but if I was buying a new helmet I would consider it.

http://www.njmp.com/rules.html

I just measured my melon and used the on-line charts to select the right size. I also went to a motorcycle store to try a few on just for sizing. And then I ordered on-line so I could get one that's auto (SA2005+) rated.

Check out www.scda1.com and nasane.com for some event options.

Maybe Ill see you at Limerock!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I also found the Bell sizing chart accurate. I would recommend going with an SA2010 helmet since they are readily available now. The full-face helmet is kind of warm, but you can always put the visor up. I would recommend an open-face helmet for any passengers since there is a distinct possibility that they could get sick and that would not be a good thing, especially in a closed-face helmet

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet sizes?

Quick Reply: Helmet sizes?