Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

same size diameter tires front and rear??

Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default same size diameter tires front and rear??

Have found Hoozier scrubs that could allow me to run the same sized diameter tires front and rear on my '08 C6. On the track, I run with my active handling off. I am expecting to possibly have ABS come on turn 2 of Infinion. If I do, couldn't I just pull the ABS fuze? For the track I have 18" C6 9.5" OEM front wheels and the same 18" wheels widened to 11" for the rear.

Today I was going to have Nick flash the computer to run with the same diameter tire front and back. However we measured the diameter of my runflats that are on my car and the diameters were identical.

Sounds like my car's computer already accepts the same size diameter tires. Do you guys think a set of same sized diameter Hoosiers front and back might work?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

First, flashing the ECM will not do anything to change programming of the ABS. That is all handled by the EBCM which tuners cannot access.

Second, there must have been a mistake in your measurements of the EMT tire diameter since the rear EMTs are 1.1 to 1.2 inches larger in diameter depending on whether the car has Z06 style wheels or base/Z51 wheels.

The ABS function looks at individual wheel speeds to determine whether one wheel or another is locking up. I have been running the same diameter tires on C5s and C6s since 1997 and have never had an issue with the ABS. Recently, I have actually been running Toyo R888s on my Z06 with larger diameter tires in the front and the ABS isn't upset by that either. TC gets upset at about 10 mph but ABS isn't bothered.

Answer to your question is, YES.

Bill
Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Many guys run a square set up just turn AH/TC off
Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run 295 3x 18 on all corners of my C5 .. all TC off never had any issues 1 it saves cost and 2 lets ya have endless rotation I run a few weekends then have the tires flipped on the rims found a guy on craigs list who does the flip and balance for 12 bucks that and 400 bucks for the scrubs makes for a darn good deal....

Square = good value and no problems for me
Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Thanks Bill

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
First, flashing the ECM will not do anything to change programming of the ABS. That is all handled by the EBCM which tuners cannot access.

Second, there must have been a mistake in your measurements of the EMT tire diameter since the rear EMTs are 1.1 to 1.2 inches larger in diameter depending on whether the car has Z06 style wheels or base/Z51 wheels.

The ABS function looks at individual wheel speeds to determine whether one wheel or another is locking up. I have been running the same diameter tires on C5s and C6s since 1997 and have never had an issue with the ABS. Recently, I have actually been running Toyo R888s on my Z06 with larger diameter tires in the front and the ABS isn't upset by that either. TC gets upset at about 10 mph but ABS isn't bothered.

Answer to your question is, YES.

Bill
Thanks Bill and to all who answered with your confirmations.
You guys were correct. No problems what so ever with running the same size wheels. After running the entire day with traction control off, I was currious if it would work in competitive mode and sure enough it did.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Avon tires from England? Roger Kraus Racing in Hayward who sells me my Hoosier scrubs also has carried Goodyear for years but is now carrying Avon. Supposedly these are very popular in Europe.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Thanks Bill and to all who answered with your confirmations.
You guys were correct. No problems what so ever with running the same size wheels. After running the entire day with traction control off, I was currious if it would work in competitive mode and sure enough it did.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Avon tires from England? Roger Kraus Racing in Hayward who sells me my Hoosier scrubs also has carried Goodyear for years but is now carrying Avon. Supposedly these are very popular in Europe.
I ran some Avons a few years back (very cheap) - I was not happy with them.

Get notified of new replies

To same size diameter tires front and rear??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: same size diameter tires front and rear??