Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What motor for road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:27 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What motor for road racing?

I know seat time and brakes and many other things come before power.

Just entertaining the thought. I'm sure the power of the engine could at some point exceed the ability of the car(ie suspension,traction,cornering),so I'm wondering how big can you go? 427? LSX 454? Or even ERL's 500ci Superdeck II?

Just wondering if there's a limit to power which will end up being too much for a track.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 02:25 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I just dropped a 433 ls2 with ARE dry sump in mine can't wait to get it on the track!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z06801
I just dropped a 433 ls2 with ARE dry sump in mine can't wait to get it on the track!
Nice man, and your the one with the crazy bumper, heck I'm excited for you. I could swing then 500ci motor, but wonder what's overkill. We'll see who thinks the limits are
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I have a 427 putting out 570+ rwhp 550+ rwtq on a conservative tune. I can easily light up Hoosiers A compounds if I don't really manage the gas pedal out of turns or even on some straights.

People say right away they wish they had that much power but honestly it is not easy to manage and you can find yourself in trouble quickly.

That being said I love it. LOL.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

LS6 crate motor. On most tracks STILL the fastest and most reliable motor.

Big HP is sexy as hell. but reliability key to survival on road course.

or an LS7 crate with great dry sump

and any motor with a big cam, ie lift over .600, only a matter of time will fail. Guys just do enough annual maintenance to big hp engines.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I have a 427 putting out 570+ rwhp 550+ rwtq on a conservative tune. I can easily light up Hoosiers A compounds if I don't really manage the gas pedal out of turns or even on some straights.

People say right away they wish they had that much power but honestly it is not easy to manage and you can find yourself in trouble quickly.

That being said I love it. LOL.
So really any more than 550 can do more harm than good?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:42 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
More then 450 rwhp will.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:59 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
More then 450 rwhp will.
I'm mean I plan on doin the. Suspension with pfadt bars,LG coilovers,maybe even drop spindles (depending on vendor) and many other things as well. But am just wondering at what point will the car be limited, not by power, but by grip ie lateral g limit
Old 09-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

IMHO - That depends on the driver and the setup of the car but I always thought 500 was a good mark. That being said I don't think there is any magical number but with an upgrade in power there usually are other modifications needed to ensure you can use that power.

As an example I have tried to match gearing with my power and the tracks I usually go to. I started out with 4.10s on H/C 346 and realized that didn't work so I went to 3.73s. Loved the combination for most tracks I went to but when the 346 finally died and we built the 427 I realized I didn't like the 3.73s and changed to 3.42s. Right now I am still looking for more room so I will probably make another change to give me a few more MPH in 3rd - 4th. I am looking for as few shift changes as possible while still staying in the power band.

Big hp car can last but you need to not cheap out on parts. There is a reason I have Jesel rockers over other brands. A few hundred more today will potentially save me thousands later. Add a good general maintenance program and the engine should last.

I guess it comes down to how much time, effort and money you want to put into your car. I know my ls6 with little maintenance was a work horse. The ls7 requires a more attention.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 09-26-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I'm mean I plan on doin the. Suspension with pfadt bars,LG coilovers,maybe even drop spindles (depending on vendor) and many other things as well. But am just wondering at what point will the car be limited, not by power, but by grip ie lateral g limit
Weight will be a big factor and then once you reduce that you will need Aero to keep stability. It is never ending.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Just get on the track and drive. Once you have 10 weekends under your butt, then look at what you need or your car needs.

Contact patches, and cooling are the big ones.

Big HP is sexy as hell, but driving skill is where it really is.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Just get on the track and drive. Once you have 10 weekends under your butt, then look at what you need or your car needs.

Contact patches, and cooling are the big ones.

Big HP is sexy as hell, but driving skill is where it really is.

Look at world challenge GT i believe they are around 500 hp and 3000# and run some impressive laps. It has to be setup and driver skills.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 09-26-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Think about safety as well. Big HP is awesome, but you will be going at speeds that will put you at significant risk. I have a C6Z with 480-490rwhp and it is a monster (I am very careful and treat it with MUCH respect). You will need REALLY good brakes and great suspension to take advantage of that much power as well. Also, when others approach threshold braking zones at 130mph, you will be approaching them at 150-160+mph, so keep that in mind. The stakes get much higher quickly. Loosing it in a corner at 150mph will result in massive carnage and unless you have a full cage with HANS (even then it will be really bad). Ever see a fiberglass vette crash at 150mph, probably not as there is not much left to look at.

I say keep it under 500hp, build around reliability and spend your money on safety, brakes and suspension (in that order).
Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

But am just wondering at what point will the car be limited, not by power, but by grip ie lateral g limit
There is no such thing as enough HP, but there is such a thing as a budget and more importantly like many have said, ability. There's nothing cooler than passing a C6 in a C5 with less power!

The better question you may want to ask is how much money are you willing to spend every weekend when **** starts breaking? Trans Ams cars run 700-800HP and put the power down no problem. You can buy a Bosch or a MoTec engine management system and configure a racing T/C system that allows you to stomp on the throttle out of every corner. My car puts out more than 600rwhp (granted it's a fully prepped race car) and transfers the power no problem, the weak link is me.

Make sure you have plenty of spare parts when playing the HP gain. It's something most people learn AFTER making the purchase not before.

Mike
Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
There is no such thing as enough HP, but there is such a thing as a budget and more importantly like many have said, ability. There's nothing cooler than passing a C6 in a C5 with less power!

The better question you may want to ask is how much money are you willing to spend every weekend when **** starts breaking? Trans Ams cars run 700-800HP and put the power down no problem. You can buy a Bosch or a MoTec engine management system and configure a racing T/C system that allows you to stomp on the throttle out of every corner. My car puts out more than 600rwhp (granted it's a fully prepped race car) and transfers the power no problem, the weak link is me.

Make sure you have plenty of spare parts when playing the HP gain. It's something most people learn AFTER making the purchase not before.

Mike

Words of wisdom that can only be attained through expericene.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 09-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Words of wisdom that can only be attained through expericene.

Coming from one of the best engine builders around! Touche!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I actually started the other way - with a 500rwhp car. It probably has slowed down my learning curve some, but I do not aspire to formally race in NASA or SCCA or any of that. The extra hp is basically like a cheat code. If you are wanting to learn to drive, then get a Miata and skip the fun part. I just like going out and enjoying the fruits of all the sweat I put into my car. I am completely happy dominating Intermediate HPDE for now. I try to get instuctors every chance I get, but I will have to say, when you hook up with someone who is close or even a little better, it is a blast on the track! I would say go for it, but like S-T said, be prepared for the extra $$s and time in upkeep! Good luck with it.

Get notified of new replies

To What motor for road racing?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

More hp will not increase your fun at the track IMO. I've actually had just as much fun driving a 130 hp car at the track. However, it will increase your consumable costs, cooling issues, your safety risks, time spent working on problems with your engine, and of course $$ spent. Luckily I figured this out drag racing before I started getting into hpde and w2w racing. Now I have 2 vettes and both have bone stock LS6 engines. If I wanted more power, I would get a grand sport or C6Z and a good dry sump system.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ls6

What are the pro's and con's of stroking an LS6 to 383 cu in?
Currently running a 4000lb car in HPDE. I often get point by's and don't have enough power to pass on short straights unless the other driver is kind enough to lift.

This is a great starter car, fun to drive on track, but will not go any further than HPDE as it is too heavy.

What is the least expensive way to get more torque from a stock LS6?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
My car puts out more than 600rwhp (granted it's a fully prepped race car) and transfers the power no problem, the weak link is me.
Mike
After riding with you I think that number might be a little low......

Quick Reply: What motor for road racing?