Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Club membership?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default VIR Club membership?

Who all has it? Saw on the site it's like $2500 and you get discounts and everything, but still don't understand how it works. I can tell you all I'd love to be in the villa's lol just wondering for those members if that $2500 is really worth it.

Thanks

http://www.virnow.com/vir-club
Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome facility and track.

Add $100/mo fees and track time is $160 per day weekends or $135 during the week. The track was mostly wide open the times I was there as a guest so you will get more time than you can stand.

Like a country club membership, you don't do it to save money, it's about the special access ;-)
Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
Awesome facility and track.

Add $100/mo fees and track time is $160 per day weekends or $135 during the week. The track was mostly wide open the times I was there as a guest so you will get more time than you can stand.

Like a country club membership, you don't do it to save money, it's about the special access ;-)
Great! So you are a member? I mean I can see the special access part, but does it benefit paying the $2500 as opposed to just paying with running with groups. How late can you race? And do you go anytime you want?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 AM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not a member but have been there as a guest on a member days. I'm now 900 mi away from VIR

The fees only cover Club member days which are mostly one weekday or a weekend per month (check the schedule). The format is similar to most clubs running HPDE (it's not racing).
Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
I'm not a member but have been there as a guest on a member days. I'm now 900 mi away from VIR

The fees only cover Club member days which are mostly one weekday or a weekend per month (check the schedule). The format is similar to most clubs running HPDE (it's not racing).
Dang 900 is a haul lol

And see thats what I saw, I can't see why someone would want to give with only once a month, doesn't seem to me they're very member ambitious. You'd think they could offer more, especially with a 2.5k fee and 175 annual.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There are so many Other club events that there really is no need to join to get track time.

Audi Club, PCA clubs, BMW club, 10/10s, NCM does an event there the end of June each year.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:06 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
There are so many Other club events that there really is no need to join to get track time.

Audi Club, PCA clubs, BMW club, 10/10s, NCM does an event there the end of June each year.
Those clubs don't mind having you run? You think they'd want just BMW's and just Audi's
Old 09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
Those clubs don't mind having you run? You think they'd want just BMW's and just Audi's
They want entry fees...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Awesome track. Wish VIR was closer.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by varkwso
They want entry fees...
True all about the money

And I assume you guys who race at VIR are just going on the site and orderiing there?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

If you go to the ViR sites calendar you'll be able to see who has track days scheduled when and then link to the event sponsors site for all the info and registration.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oh1vette
If you go to the ViR sites calendar you'll be able to see who has track days scheduled when and then link to the event sponsors site for all the info and registration.
Thank you
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You can also go to www.motorsportreg.com and look to see events by track.

Most any organization will let you run with them. If anything, they will make non members or non-car-model people wait until after giving all of their club members the chance to register.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
You can also go to www.motorsportreg.com and look to see events by track.

Most any organization will let you run with them. If anything, they will make non members or non-car-model people wait until after giving all of their club members the chance to register.
Thanks for the link

I noticed that how it was with the BMW club. And a steeper price lol
Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
Nope Many of the Audi event have more corvettes then audis

Join NASA

http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=13 at VIR early Oct

or

Summit Point just west of you

http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=261 Early Nov

get some seat time in this year
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

There also a three day event with Asphalt Ventures the Sat-Sun-Mon after Thanksgiving.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

as an instructor, you could run there pretty much every weekend with one club or another for free. BUT you spend a lot of time getting pounded around with students. I've never found membership at all appealing, even though I love the facility.

Get notified of new replies

To VIR Club membership?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
as an instructor, you spend a lot of time ... with students.
$2500 doesn't sound that bad.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Snuckley
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What matters to me is number of available member days and proximity to the track. I have seen the various member deals on several of the tracks with club membership. If you live near one, have a car with a license plate and $20-40,000 to join , what wouldn't be cooler than leaving work at 1pm on a clear, warm and dry day when business is slow, drive the 30 minutes to the track- safety check, business suit off>Nomex and helmet on, > 20 smooth laps > ahhhh > club house for a beef & beer and a rerun of last weeks best motorsports event with the guys , put your helmet back in the locker and motor on home. Any C5/C6 with decent tires and brake pads could handle that once a week. Then on a day off or weekend you mount your Hoosiers and do it all day long, If it rains you stay home. Some of us self employed ,have days we make $200 or some we make $2000, for me I only know my work load a couple days out. Planning a trip to The Glen 3 months in advance and then have to give up a big $ day only to prep the car/ drive 5hrs/ stay at the hotel/ arrive at the Glen in drizzly 44 degree weather has beaten me down.
Not evryone can afford to do the member club thing, but if you live near one, have the funds and love roadracing- why not.
I dream of the day one opens near me, and I keep a Formula Mazda at the track garage as well as run a vette.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Nope Many of the Audi event have more corvettes then audis

Join NASA

http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=13 at VIR early Oct

or

Summit Point just west of you

http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=261 Early Nov

get some seat time in this year
Theres just something abut VIR thats drives me there lol. The race season is almost over. I was gonna start out in the spring at least? I Figured Once or twice before the season ends would be a waste as I wouldn't be able to continue and when i start back up, I'd have to learn over again.

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
as an instructor, you could run there pretty much every weekend with one club or another for free. BUT you spend a lot of time getting pounded around with students. I've never found membership at all appealing, even though I love the facility.
how could I run for free though?you mean with a membership i could? I love the facility too, the villa's and the garages you can rent out. And you're an instructor at VIR?

Originally Posted by Snuckley
What matters to me is number of available member days and proximity to the track. I have seen the various member deals on several of the tracks with club membership. If you live near one, have a car with a license plate and $20-40,000 to join , what wouldn't be cooler than leaving work at 1pm on a clear, warm and dry day when business is slow, drive the 30 minutes to the track- safety check, business suit off>Nomex and helmet on, > 20 smooth laps > ahhhh > club house for a beef & beer and a rerun of last weeks best motorsports event with the guys , put your helmet back in the locker and motor on home. Any C5/C6 with decent tires and brake pads could handle that once a week. Then on a day off or weekend you mount your Hoosiers and do it all day long, If it rains you stay home. Some of us self employed ,have days we make $200 or some we make $2000, for me I only know my work load a couple days out. Planning a trip to The Glen 3 months in advance and then have to give up a big $ day only to prep the car/ drive 5hrs/ stay at the hotel/ arrive at the Glen in drizzly 44 degree weather has beaten me down.
Not evryone can afford to do the member club thing, but if you live near one, have the funds and love roadracing- why not.
I dream of the day one opens near me, and I keep a Formula Mazda at the track garage as well as run a vette.
Can't tell you how awesome that would be.

And Alpine is opening right near you remember?? Lol your dream is coming true

Quick Reply: VIR Club membership?