Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking lot challenges

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 PM
tah81
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Parking lot challenges

Question for the autocross group. Our corvette club is doing a poker run and we were trying to come up with a parking lot challenge (not an autocross) that would be fun for the drivers to participate in. I saw the SEMA car challenge on Speed and they did a start and stop challenge (drive up to a certain speed, then hit the brakes and stop before hitting the cones. Score closest distance to the cones). Has anyone done something like this or some other easy driving challenge? Just looking for ideas. Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I have used the start stop exercise in several autocross driving schools I have run. I set it up over a distance of a couple hundred feet with cones every 10 paces (about 25 ft) along the side so people had a way to judge how far they had driven. Then a set of cones across the course. Each participant would get three runs. First they would stop too short, second most stopped too long and on the third try they got pretty close.

Using the exercise as a part of the competition you will have to have a way to stop sand bagging or you will have somebody drive 3 mph through the course and just touch the brakes to rest the front bumper against the cones at the end.

If you tell them they have to get to a certain speed you will need to have a way to determine if they got to that speed.

Maybe the best way would be to judge it in two ways. Shortest time from start to end coupled with closest to the cones without going over them.

Bill
Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
tah81
Racer

Thanks Bill. That's just what I was thinking too.

Anyone else with an idea?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

A slalom with hand timing & time added for cones hit.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

If people are leary of spinning their tires you could do something like a FunKhana where you have them drive the car from a start position, get out of the car and perform some ridiculous act, swap drivers and then drive to the finish line. Time the whole thing with lowest time, after penalties are assessed winning. Penalties could be any number of things such as not closing car doors when they get out or maybe not leaving them open. Again some ridiculous things that get people laughing.

Bill
Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 PM
tah81
Racer

Great ideas guys. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking lot challenges

Quick Reply: Parking lot challenges