Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats foe Tall Driver (C5)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 PM
03SpiralGray
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Seats foe Tall Driver (C5)

I'm 6'4" and need seats, what works?

Will I just need a drop base?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:39 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Dedicated track car or dual purpose? I'm 6'4" as well and never could find a dual purpose seat I fit in that would fit in the C5.

For my race car I have a custom built Ultrashield mounted on Hardbar seat rails. I also modified the floor pan to allow the seat to sit even lower. Ultrashield has a form you fill out with specific measurements and they build it to fit you. It costs an extra $100 for the custom seat and seat cover bits. However, even fully customized it wias still only $540 with freight. The cheap Sparcos list for $700+. I looked at a Sparco Evo2 L which is supposed to be for taller drivers, but what they don't advertise is that it's actually narrower than the standard seat. The torso area is 1" longer, but what good is that when they made it more narrow! Plus even the 1" taller seat was still too short. It took over 2" to get the shoulder pass-throughs at the proper height for me (vs. a standard Ultrashield seat).

You can see the driver's side floor pan notched for the seat rails here. You gain 5/8" compared to the hardware that comes with the Hardbar rail kit to work with the stock carpt in place.

It's very nice to be able to fit in the car properly and be able to work the pedals w/o your knees hitting the steering wheel.

Last edited by travisnd; 09-30-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Kirkey or Ultra-Shield mounted with Hard bar rails on the floor will do it.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:46 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is my solution:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...m-at-last.html

My last event of the season is Oct 30-31 at VIR. If you are going to be there, you can try mine out.

One clear disadvantage is the lack of adjustability for the passenger seat. I will probably replace the rails on that seat with something adjustable.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Seats foe Tall Driver (C5)

Quick Reply: Seats foe Tall Driver (C5)