Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wilwood new rotors

Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default wilwood new rotors

Talked to Wilwood last week and they stated they changed their rotors and getting a much longer life out if them.

I looked around to see if I could find any supporting data but no such luck.

Anyone here try them out? I ordered new rings so I can give some feedback but being end of the season it will not be until next year.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Pls post pics when you get them.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shape or material changed?
Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Their direct replacement ones, or the ones for their kits (that have a different rotor offset)?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Shape or material changed?
Not sure. They should be here in a few days and I have old ones sitting around so I can compare.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Their direct replacement ones, or the ones for their kits (that have a different rotor offset)?
Not sure. I was ordering rings which I use with their kit. I can find out more about them.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Pls post pics when you get them.
Will do.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Seems to be more questions than answers. Once the new rings come in I will take pictures and find out more from Wilwood.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM
svcjmo
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing R and R for Wilwood the past 2 seasons with the new cmpd rotor, DB37 I believe, I can tell you these are awesome. Wear is virtually nill with the Hcmpd pad. Small surface cracks will appear after a while which have no effect on the performance of the system. The Acmpd pads up front are really abrasive to the rotor and will decrease life of the rotor. I currently run H up front and A in the rear for a bit more rear bias. The front rotors are floating and we found you need their 2 lb residual valves at the end of the hard line to eliminate any pad knockback
How long will the rotors last? I have never run a set until they were totally ruined. Like any setup, you will go thru more fronts than rears.
I have one customer with this new system on his C6Z who does DE's, about 2 hrs track time per weekend so I'll monitor his rotor life. I would estimate with proper brake cooling in the front 20-30 hrs track time.
BTW, I autcrossed his car Sunday with the H cmpd all around and performance was stellar. I found I really had to back off in the braking zones so as not to slow the car too much.

In 10 race weekends this year with test days, I used 2 sets of front rotors. They were changed out not due to exessive wear or failure but because I could and kept the used ones as spares.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

After 4 races and half a dozen TT sessions, my WW rings are badly cracked/heat checked. I'm running the PolyMatrix A compound which I've heard chews rotors badly, but mine aren't grooved that bad - just heat checked like crazy. I wasn't expecting this at all when I went to the bigger brake kit as a long term cost savings.
I'll try to get some pics uploaded soon.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default New Wilwood Rotor Material

The Wilwood rotor material that Jerry Onks has been testing is the Spec 37 material. An American pour formulated by Wilwood from advanced racing materials.

Working direct with Carl Bush and the Wilwood staff this rotor material will become standard racing producton components as existing inventories are consumed. Other Corvette application are in the works.

We just recieved the first set of the C6Z06 direct OEM replacement front 2 piece units. Pricing is expected shortly...

Front OEM C6Z06 25.9 lbs
WW 2 piece Spec 37 22.9 lbs

Pictures soon..
btw
Jerry SCCA STO C6Z06 @ 3400lbs is using the W6AR/ST calipers with Therm Loc pistons, Wilwood EXP600 Plus brake fluid and SKF hubs and maintains a tall pedal the entire session.

Cheers,
PL
Old 10-18-2011, 04:37 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

What's the difference between the W6AR/ST and SL6R/ST? I see pad sizes/shapes are different with the W6A having a larger pad..what else?

I just put the SL6R/STs on my 2002 Camaro last month so I assume I have the new rotors. I think I need to change fluids and get more air to the calipers though because the pedal went to the floor on me a few times at an HPDE event in September..using Polymatrix J's
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Wildwood Rotors

Hey Paul
This works into one of the questions I have when I visit on Friday!
Have you seen a two piece rotor for C3s?
I measured my rotors and have been looking the Coleman Catalog over. It looks like they have a rotor that would work but the hat would have to be a custom piece.
Any chance Wildwood would consider making such a small (11.750") diameter piece for such a limited market?
With your pricing on rotors so low already, would it make economic sense to go to a two piece rotor.
Would there really be a performace advantage to the weight savings of an aluminum hat?

Locke
Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Locke,

we'll talk on Friday...

Be safe..
PL
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much are they?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we found you need their 2 lb residual valves at the end of the hard line to eliminate any pad knockback

see you hang out here and you just might learn somthing...just found out about these building my custom setup for the race car...leaned of them on a car building sight..called willwood to investigate.... got 2 going in asap.....didnt know the help knock back though.. i have a TON of trouble with that on the z06....guess il get 4!!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:48 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svcjmo
Doing R and R for Wilwood the past 2 seasons with the new cmpd rotor, DB37 I believe, I can tell you these are awesome. Wear is virtually nill with the Hcmpd pad. Small surface cracks will appear after a while which have no effect on the performance of the system. The Acmpd pads up front are really abrasive to the rotor and will decrease life of the rotor. I currently run H up front and A in the rear for a bit more rear bias. The front rotors are floating and we found you need their 2 lb residual valves at the end of the hard line to eliminate any pad knockback
How long will the rotors last? I have never run a set until they were totally ruined. Like any setup, you will go thru more fronts than rears.
I have one customer with this new system on his C6Z who does DE's, about 2 hrs track time per weekend so I'll monitor his rotor life. I would estimate with proper brake cooling in the front 20-30 hrs track time.
BTW, I autcrossed his car Sunday with the H cmpd all around and performance was stellar. I found I really had to back off in the braking zones so as not to slow the car too much.

In 10 race weekends this year with test days, I used 2 sets of front rotors. They were changed out not due to exessive wear or failure but because I could and kept the used ones as spares.
wait a minute do you use one on each wheel??? i was thinking of one before the t where the line splits to bothsides front and back... with the z and abs block who knows where the best place is i would think one per wheel would be fine or should i do that on the race car 2??????

Get notified of new replies

To wilwood new rotors

Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
wait a minute do you use one on each wheel??? i was thinking of one before the t where the line splits to bothsides front and back... with the z and abs block who knows where the best place is i would think one per wheel would be fine or should i do that on the race car 2??????
My understanding is 1 per wheel.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:34 AM
svcjmo
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a valve at each corner of the car where the hard line ends and the SS hose begins. Paul is working on a plug n' play short hose to connect the metric male fitting(on C5 and C6) end connector to the 1/4" npt female connection the residual valve uses.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:13 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

sswweeettt! i dont quite trust the brakes going into one and left foot tap before the bump going into 12 at nelsons some reason get knockback going into 4 at beaver run .....if could trust my brakes to be there it would greatly improve my times!!!!! never really had trouble anywhere else..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wilwood new rotors