Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Data Acquisition Software

Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 AM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track Data Acquisition Software

What options are out there besides Traqmate? So many apps for phones/tablets to connect to OBD II via bluetooth or usb.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about connecting through Bluetooth but check out rlc racing and look at the micro pod sport and track commander products. Also their wi fi set up.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:35 AM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I'm not sure about connecting through Bluetooth but check out rlc racing and look at the micro pod sport and track commander products. Also their wi fi set up.
Thanks...will look into that a little later on as my skills get better.

Looking for something a little more inexpensive.

Found this so far.

https://market.android.com/details?i...WNrbWFzdGVyIl0.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:30 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I have trackmaster, bought it just for fun, you must have a Bluetooth external gps for it to work worthanything. Neat toy, does not compare to traqmate. I think aim solo is best for money.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:14 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a Race Technology DL-1. I can't believe that people pay hard-earned american dollars for the modest capabilities of a Traqmate.
AIM is ok if you have a C6 (ie CAN) car.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:27 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

It's the modest capabilites that make it user friendly for people to understand it. Traqmate is certainly worth the money and can make just about anyone faster. Plus pretty good customer service, support and updates.

Worth every penny.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 PM
sebdavid
Pro

I wonder why more people here don't use the Performance Box. I'm also hesitant and that unit seems like a good choice, but nobody uses it here...
Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one has mentioned race keeper yet. Good system, integrates video smoothly and sets up fast.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:52 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the AIM SOLO. Its got a big display (compared to Trackmate), and its only $400. The AIM SOLO DL is $200 more and can interface with OBDII outputs.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/s...at-is-solo.htm

There was a thread a couple weeks ago that was similar to this.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

i use race-keeper. it has a great GUI and easy OBDII hook up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ulUlqfgois

Only downside is no display to see your times while driving. They do have an iphone app that blutooths the laptimes so that is a display but I have a droid and they don't have the display out for that yet.

I also use a free app for my droid which isn't bad. Its called aLapRecorderHD. The GPS and lap / sector timing is reflected on the phone but not when I export the video for uploading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QpUJilcCqg
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 271 Likes on 213 Posts

Here's an article I did on data systems last year.

I'm working on a new article for this year. I'm going to put together a system that transmits data and video directly to my driving coach in real time. He can monitor me from any place in the country and offer suggestions. At least that's the plan. He already has several clients he's working with.

Last weekend I worked with a Motec system. That was great - but I had two Stanford engineers monitoring the system. Motec has the greatest capabilities - but it's complex.

I think AIM may be the best compromise. I'll let you know in a few months how all of this is working out.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 10-25-2011, 04:07 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Richard,

I read your article already. It's a good one but doesn't seem to really address specific systems and their relative merits. I'm especially interested in the lower end ones, as I'm not doing this professionally and my budget is limited. The car is already eating up a lot of money in maintenance and repairs, and then there's the cost of seat time!

Have you tried to entry-level systems? The Performance Box seems to be used by EVO and other magazines when testing...
Old 10-25-2011, 04:40 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

I haven't used any of the systems you mentioned. I was running Chump Cars this past season. They sort of frown on data aquisition systems.

Richard
Old 10-25-2011, 05:00 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I think Race Technology is the best for the $. Very powerful software, nice displays with good lap/sector info.
I am not familiar with Performance Box's software, thought at least you can compare 4 laps at once (vs Traqmate's 2). It is all about the software. The P-Box's display looks like it would not be useful on the track.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:17 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

A huge problem with most of these systems is they're designed for PC systems. Very few use Apple. I'm hoping to find more Apple stuff this year at PRI in Orlando.

Richard Newton
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I am currently installing the Video VBOX from Racelogic. The set-up takes a little time, but when you get it set up, it is great.

You just go to the track and drive. I have mine set up with the Z06 dash, GPS, track map, PIP, tach, throttle and brake pressure, and lap timing (current, last and best). Also, mine in set up with a music track in the background.

Once it is set up, there is no post processing.

It is not the cheapest, but very powerful system.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I think Race Technology is the best for the $. Very powerful software, nice displays with good lap/sector info.
I am not familiar with Performance Box's software, thought at least you can compare 4 laps at once (vs Traqmate's 2). It is all about the software. The P-Box's display looks like it would not be useful on the track.

huh? You can only compare 2 laps at once on traqmate? please explain.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Data Acquisition Software

Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Hmm. Maybe I am getting this confused with something else that I couldn't do. Can you only open two sessions at a time?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:31 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
A huge problem with most of these systems is they're designed for PC systems. Very few use Apple. I'm hoping to find more Apple stuff this year at PRI in Orlando.

Richard Newton
I'm looking at Harry's GPS Laptimer for iPhone/iPad.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 AM
seattle_vette
Instructor

CMS Lap Timer Pro available at the iPhone app store for 14.99 is absolutely amazing. You will need to buy a plug-in gps for $99 plus a $20 mount for the car. That's it. You will get all the same data and hd video as the expensive systems plus you get a free download of the program for your Mac. The best part is that you can bluetooth data to anyone. Actually, I think you can use the new iCloud to exchange data. It is terrific.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Data Acquisition Software