Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my instructor said...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 PM
diddiyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my instructor said...

"you're doing really well! i shouldn't say this, but i'd actually like to see you fail every now and then!"

so i did!

this is probably nothing for the more experienced guys around here, but for a newb like me it was pretty scary / exciting. that wall seems closer than you think lol. i guess i'll have to get used to it

(i ran a few sessions solo the day before on lightning so after a session or two on thunderbolt he let me go solo as well).

Last edited by diddiyo; 10-22-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

that will wake you up! careful not to tear the gear shifter off
Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

good job!!!!! you were quick withe second correction thats the one that allways gets u .....as soon as the car starts to come back rip that wheel the other way like you did to keep from going around the other way....i liked the little honk of the horn to let every body know u meant to do that !!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:18 PM
slo_z28
Instructor

Thats the kind of thing that gets better with seat time. If you want some experience with counter steer then go to an autocross done by a Miata club
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Working with a really good student CAN be difficult, because you want to tell them how good they are BUT warn them that it is a fine line between perfection and destruction. Keep pushing yourself, even over the limit occasionally, and you will continue to get faster, safer, and (very important) consistent! Nice save btw!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:58 PM
diddiyo
Racer

thanks for the comments!

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
i liked the little honk of the horn to let every body know u meant to do that !!!!
haha for some reason everybody gets a kick out of the honk

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Keep pushing yourself, even over the limit occasionally, and you will continue to get faster, safer, and (very important) consistent!
i am going to try... next season!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:01 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

: QUOTE=TRACKMAN2;1579028078]good job!!!!! you were quick withe second correction thats the one that allways gets u .....as soon as the car starts to come back rip that wheel the other way like you did to keep from going around the other way....i liked the little honk of the horn to let every body know u meant to do that !!!![/QUOTE]

You pushed too much accellerator while the steering was still pinched. Loosen the steering just a tad more and roll in power slowly to keep the rear end behind you- (use that track out). Good video.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Vette53
Instructor

Nice save... As mentioned above, it is that second turn of the wheel that will make or break the save. I spent some time on the skid pad recently and that was an eye opener. That is a great place to practice.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good stuff and nice save
Old 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hardly a fail! countersteer, keep the power on and head to the next turn!!
You may find it useful to lower the wheel (looked like you were reaching a bit).
Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Ha! Nice fishtail Makes me miss my C5!!

Enjoyed the video, your inputs were really smooth beforehand and smooth is FAST.

What make/model tires were screaming for mercy?

Last edited by C5 Hardtop; 10-25-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, nice save. why did you stay so far left after turn 4? that left hander is not so tight if you come back to the right a bit. i usually cant get all the way back over to the right, but maybe mid-track. just a thought, not trying to criticize.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 AM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

St: Jude Donor '10

Nice vid, good recovery the beep adds a nice touch. Hey, it had to happen sometime (it's not a matter of if, but when).

After 6 years of track driving I had my first ever off at an event last month. Luckily it was in an area with plenty of runoff. I was able to get back on and keep going, no harm, no foul.

My instructor said, "I'm not even going to fault you for that. I was pushing you hard, and you were pushing the car hard." And then he signed me off solo.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
yes, nice save. why did you stay so far left after turn 4? that left hander is not so tight if you come back to the right a bit. i usually cant get all the way back over to the right, but maybe mid-track. just a thought, not trying to criticize.
OP is really smooth, nice steering position which helped staying ahead of loose rear, smooth inputs on braking/throttle and shifting, nice speed sensing. Maybe a little turn in from mid track would, indeed, lessen the pinch and allow for a little more throttle. No doubt the OP will 'own' that turn next time out!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM
diddiyo
Racer

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
why did you stay so far left after turn 4? that left hander is not so tight if you come back to the right a bit. i usually cant get all the way back over to the right, but maybe mid-track. just a thought, not trying to criticize.
yes i usually go mid-track as well, but my instructor thought i might want to try "his" line, which is to stay to the left. the reason being you can accellerate on the little stretch before the left turn without upsetting the car too much.

Originally Posted by southern_son
OP is really smooth, nice steering position which helped staying ahead of loose rear, smooth inputs on braking/throttle and shifting, nice speed sensing. Maybe a little turn in from mid track would, indeed, lessen the pinch and allow for a little more throttle. No doubt the OP will 'own' that turn next time out!
thanks!

i have to work on my threshold breaking and heel/toe downshifts, they're not very smooth yet and the car kind of jerks around a lot when i do it. i'll keep practicing!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't run this track in a year (headed there this weekend!!) - but I dont remember any issue getting far right for the entry into the LH'er.
By sticking far left you really really tighten up that already tight radius = easier to lose the rear.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
diddiyo
Racer

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
What make/model tires were screaming for mercy?
i overlooked your question, sorry.

they are stock goodyear eagle f1 tires that come with the c5z06. the dealer put on a new set when i bought the car in april 2011. the car is my daily in the summer and i've done two 2-day HPDEs and a 1-day HPDE since then, so i'm probably looking to replace them next season. too bad i can't fit four wheels/tires into the vette otherwise i might get a dedicated set of HPDE wheels/tires.

Last edited by diddiyo; 10-25-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To my instructor said...

Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I haven't run this track in a year (headed there this weekend!!) - but I dont remember any issue getting far right for the entry into the LH'er.
By sticking far left you really really tighten up that already tight radius = easier to lose the rear.

some go into turn 4 late, and a little slower, so they can be far right for turn 5 left hander.

some fly through turn 4 on the edge tracking all the way left and only get back to mid track to set up for turn 5. this is my preferred approach. I'd rather sacrifice some speed in 5 instead of 4. 5 is already slower by definition because it's a smaller radius turn.

i guess the ideal is to be able to do both.

it's a neat combo to try different approaches. I know if I really go through turn 4 as fast as I can, which for me is about 80-85mph, I cannot quite get all the way back right for turn 5. But that's just me (~ 15 HPDE days int/adv depending on the club).
Old 10-25-2011, 04:32 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by diddiyo
i overlooked your question, sorry.

they are stock goodyear eagle f1 tires that come with the c5z06. the dealer put on a new set when i bought the car in april 2011. the car is my daily in the summer and i've done two 2-day HPDEs and a 1-day HPDE since then, so i'm probably looking to replace them next season. too bad i can't fit four wheels/tires into the vette otherwise i might get a dedicated set of HPDE wheels/tires.
you need a trailer ...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...er-choice.html
Old 10-25-2011, 11:48 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Cool vid. If you don't fall you can't get up. Just curious if your instructor ever mentioned seating position? You seem a little far from the steering wheel and when you loose it your arm is fully extended. Not trying to be too critical, just trying to help. Good Luck next year.

Quick Reply: my instructor said...