Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Trans Cooler Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:28 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default DRM Trans Cooler Install Questions

Hey Guys,

I plan to install a DRM trans cooler in my C5Z in the coming months and had a few quick questions.

- Will the pump and cooler fit behind the factory fender liner? I don't want the pump/cooler to be getting killed my rocks/rubber/dirt/grass on the track.

- Any issue with driving on the street with the pump off? I can't think of anything but wanted to know what those running it say.

- How do you fill the unit and change the fluid? Just unhook the fill line side, cycle the pump until fluid comes out, top off the trans and reconnect the line?

- Any advice, tips for the install?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the best advice is to call Randy at DRM and ask him!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Mine wasn't a DRM, but I can tell you it's going to be a tight fit. I had to trim my fender liner a bit to get it all in there.

No issue driving with it off, and trust me, you'll want it off when you aren't on track. They're LOUD. Mine sounds like a garbage disposal.

To fill I pulled the upper hose off and used a hand pump.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
Hey Guys,

I plan to install a DRM trans cooler in my C5Z in the coming months and had a few quick questions.

- Will the pump and cooler fit behind the factory fender liner? I don't want the pump/cooler to be getting killed my rocks/rubber/dirt/grass on the track.

- Any issue with driving on the street with the pump off? I can't think of anything but wanted to know what those running it say.

- How do you fill the unit and change the fluid? Just unhook the fill line side, cycle the pump until fluid comes out, top off the trans and reconnect the line?

- Any advice, tips for the install?
So it's going to be apparent that I have no idea how to multi quote. But it should answer your questions.

YES. Tight but in there.

NO worries at all.

This is exactly how to do it. PIA for a minute, but not too bad.

Randy
Old 10-24-2011, 02:15 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is a tip for you - on my DRM system I'm using the drain and fill plugs on both the tranny and diff to connect the lines to. Most everyone is doing this I suspect, the alternative would mean drilling and tapping alternate holes. The braided lines are very stiff and hard to move around. For me, without the benefit of a lift, getting the AN fittings off for fluid replacement or even to check the level is no fun. In fact its a major PITA because getting the fittings on and off is difficult due to the stiff lines. Those AN fittings are aluminum and really easy to cross thread. It would be really nice to have 3-way fittings. Think of a T connection with three openings - one that connects to the line from the pump, one that connects to the tranny or Diff and then the last one is the drain/fill. If I were to do this over again I'd put inline T fittings on each of the 4 lines. This would be expensive because it would basically be 4 additional fittings per line but I sure wish I had spent the extra time/$ back then to to make the maintenance easier now. Of course a lift makes this easier but its still no cake walk.

Last edited by argonaut; 10-24-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:30 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Jason's description is about as close as i have heard as far as the sound goes
Here is a short video of one of the pumps multiply times two for both pumps
http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...9483056378.mp4

A few install pictures

Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I have a trans cooler in my near future.

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Trans Cooler Install Questions

Quick Reply: DRM Trans Cooler Install Questions