Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non detergent oil or synthetic oil for engine break in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Non detergent oil or synthetic oil for engine break in?

Hey guys, I need your help. I pulled my LS1 out of my race car. The motor had 127K on it. I have rebuilt it. My question is, I'm about to fire it up. Do I use non detergent oil or use what I always use Mobil 1 synthetic? What is your start up procedure when you have a fresh rebuild or new motor in your race car. The parts on the motor are all stock. I just added ARP hardware, Katech rod bolts and timing chain. The block was balanced and blue printed. So I went this far with the best intent for longevity and reliability. I don't want to skip an important step. I put this in this section, because you guys always know whats best.

Thanks guys,

Last edited by Paul Schmidt; 10-23-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Joe Gibbs Engine Break in Oil. Specific oil for new engines.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Amsoil has a break-in oil that you should take a look at.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/brk.aspx

Let me know if you need help finding a dealer.

Bill

Last edited by Bills Z06; 10-24-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

What does your builder want you to do? Mine said to use normal oil, get the engine warmed up and dump it. Then another run of normal oil and drive it some. After that switch to synthetic. I used normal 5-30 Quaker State, it was on sale.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

diesel engine oil!!!!!!!! has tons of zinc!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:02 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Doug,

You want a non-synthetic oil for break-in. It is always a good idea to turn over the motor several times without letting it fire. Remove coil wires, or spark plug wires, hook up a battery charger (so as not to run down the car's battery), and crank. Listen for grinding or other problem sounds. Meanwhile, if you can watch oil pressure come up, all the better.

Oil pressure up, no grinding or thumping - should be good to go.

Ed
Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

What all these guys said & DO NOT USE SYN for about 500 miles.

Don't baby it, but don't flog it either.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You didn't mention whether you bored and honed it or just had it rehoned, or if the cylinders were touched at all. New rings? New pistons? Most of the break in process is to flatten out the microscopic ridges left after a honing. This also wears the rings a bit and seats them. For that, you want to use a high zinc oil. I used Joe Gibbs break in oil. As far as breaking the motor in, you don't want to rev the crap out of it, but speed up and let the motor slow you down. IE, put it in 2nd and go up to 5500 rpm, and let off the gas and let it coast in 2nd until 1500-2000 rpm. That's probably the most common break-in procedure I've heard of and that's the one I used on my motor.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Default Another question.

Thanks for the help guys I went with Joe Gibbs. I changed the oil after the first start up and break in. I have put Joe Gibbs break in oil back in again. I have a track day tomorrow. Is this oil going to be alright to use or should I go with Mobil 1? The car has about 60 miles on the second oil change with the Joe Gibbs. Again, thanks for your help. I really looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug P
Thanks for the help guys I went with Joe Gibbs. I changed the oil after the first start up and break in. I have put Joe Gibbs break in oil back in again. I have a track day tomorrow. Is this oil going to be alright to use or should I go with Mobil 1? The car has about 60 miles on the second oil change with the Joe Gibbs. Again, thanks for your help. I really looking forward to tomorrow.
Joe Gibbs is the ticket for break-in with its high ZDDP content. How many total miles do you have after the rebuild? 60 is not enough before tracking it. Some suggest 2000 to 3000 miles before switching to a synthetic. However, very frequent oil changes are necessary with lack of detergents in the break-in oil.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvee
Joe Gibbs is the ticket for break-in with its high ZDDP content. How many total miles do you have after the rebuild? 60 is not enough before tracking it. Some suggest 2000 to 3000 miles before switching to a synthetic. However, very frequent oil changes are necessary with lack of detergents in the break-in oil.
It's a race car. I don't have the option of putting that many miles on the car. I would if I could. I hate driving it with the roll cage on the streets. I'm not going to run it hard tomorrow. I'll run a few 20 minute session.

Anyone?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:50 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Run NON synthetic reg oil. Use fresh on start up and change after about an hour of run time. Drain it. Add fresh reg oil again. Tune it, do all your WOT testing. Drain it. Then add the good stuff
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Run NON synthetic reg oil. Use fresh on start up and change after about an hour of run time. Drain it. Add fresh reg oil again. Tune it, do all your WOT testing. Drain it. Then add the good stuff
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Thanks a lot guys for the advice. Here's a video of my first session breaking in my motor. Also I built it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNRiv...A1o5Ot3WqmpjSL

Get notified of new replies

To Non detergent oil or synthetic oil for engine break in?

Quick Reply: Non detergent oil or synthetic oil for engine break in?