Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to race!!! (we'll at least on the internet...need help with virtual set up)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ready to race!!! (we'll at least on the internet...need help with virtual set up)

Driving on an actual track has gotten too expensive and too time consuming. I just rebuilt my top end and now my clutch is shot. I can't seem to catch a break lately. I probably won't be hitting the track for the forseable future, so I will need some kind of alternative.

I am not one for video games, but since my son has an XBox 360 already, the new Forza Motorsport 4 game looks pretty attractive based on my current situation. I was looking into steering wheels, shifters, and pedals, and I notice that there are a lot of pre-made game seats with these already mounted.

In looking at these seats on the web, they look like actual race seats on what looks to be almost standard side rails (at least same dimensions). The wheels in my head startd turning. I already have a Sparco Sprint seat just sitting in my garage on Sparco side mounts that I use for track days. Is there an affordable mounting system I can purchase to attach a game wheel and pedal system to my existing race seat. I like this idea because I can put it away for storage, but also when playing have a firm mount for the steering wheel and pedals vs. just sitting on the couch trying to hold this thing on your lap.

Any suggestions? Here is an example...there has got to be some kind of mounting system for a real seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Playseat-Evolu.../dp/B000O00JE8
Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

there is tons of different setups out there for these, alot of them start to get expensive at anything above what style you had posted.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:09 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Here is the seat I have if it helps..

http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_comp.asp?id=622
Old 10-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not many controllers (wheels, pedals) are compatable with the Xbox. Logitech makes a couple good wheels but not sure if they are Xbox friendly. Usually PS3 and PC all work together.

As for seat mounts/frame.. Playseat makes the cheapest overall.. and its not bad quality. But I dont think you can find one without a seat.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

It just seems that there would be numerous folks out there with race seats that would like to use the expense they already paid in the seat itself during the winter and just use some kind of extension piece that bolts to the seat.

In all the picture I have seen all the seats look like race seats with side rails and nothing more than an extension bolted to the side rail.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:05 PM
ccj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the fanatec wheel/pedal set-up.

Very pricey stuff though.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ccj
Check out the fanatec wheel/pedal set-up.

Very pricey stuff though.
Not looking into wheels at the moment, just mounting systems to an existing race seat. I will worry about the wheels after I find a way to mount it to my Sparco seat. Thanks for the info though!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I guess you could take a thick piece of plywood and mount your rails to that. Something thicker than 1/2" maybe 5/8"?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:54 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I may have found a solution. Found a company that makes a custom mount for existing seats for $159. This is a great solution for those who remove our race seats for the winter and want to take advantage of the money already spent on a seat.

http://shop.sim-seats.com/Sim-Seats-...-SS-20-101.htm
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 PM
blueekb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I may have found a solution. Found a company that makes a custom mount for existing seats for $159. This is a great solution for those who remove our race seats for the winter and want to take advantage of the money already spent on a seat.

http://shop.sim-seats.com/Sim-Seats-...-SS-20-101.htm
I was going to recommend these guys. I'll be hanging out with them this weekend doing some sim racing. Good people and they do have ties to the Vette community.

Get notified of new replies

To Ready to race!!! (we'll at least on the internet...need help with virtual set up)

Quick Reply: Ready to race!!! (we'll at least on the internet...need help with virtual set up)