Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A friendly reminder about saftey while towing your vette.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default A friendly reminder about saftey while towing your vette.

Was reminded last night about the dangers you face while towing additional weight behind your rig and how it affects your stopping capabilities.

Long story short. While pulling our vette in our enlosed trailer back home at 10:30 last night, I was greeted with a driver who failed to yeild and turned into my path of travel. Speeds were low as I was in town. (aprox 30-40mph) But still at lower speeds you cant stop on a dime.

After comming to a hault and a few curse words later I realised I was ok but I knew my rig was not. After checking to make sure the two in the other vehicle wasnt dead I proceded to check the damage to the truck.

Front was heavly smashed in.. Frame rails bent. Also the reciver hitch was broken and shoved under the truck. Tow driver says the trailer doesnt pull quite straight. As for the car.... Didnt budge an inch.

Unloaded it at the scene (with all enforcement agents asking questions about it) and proceded to drive the car home.

Highway patrolmen told me he never been to an accident where a person involved brought a back up car.

We all dont want to hear of a fellow corvette member lost due to a traffic incident. Just a reminder to keep your distance and double check your car.

Wish I had a picture of the Pontiac G6 that I hit.. The guys are lucky to be alive.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad no one got hurt. With trailer brakes, you hardly notice trailer back ther, but in a panic stop -. I tow my Z on an open trailer with the crossed straps. Don't see how car could come off, even if trailer flipped. Good luck with new tow vehicle.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear Riley and glad everyone is okay. It's just metal.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not that it is a sure solution, but that is one reason why I love my prodigy controller...worth every penny. It automatically senses panic stops and applies the maximum amount of voltage to trailer brakes.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Chit Riley

Glad you guys are OK
Old 10-27-2011, 03:49 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're okay. I hope you get it all straightened out soon.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad you are OK!! That truck had trouble stopping on the way to VIR as I recall. Maybe be cause it's a FORD??? I know some guys that can get you a good deal on a new CHEVY! LOL!! Glad you and the Vette are OK the rest is just scrap metal anyway! JD
Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Glad you are OK!! That truck had trouble stopping on the way to VIR as I recall. Maybe be cause it's a FORD??? I know some guys that can get you a good deal on a new CHEVY! LOL!! Glad you and the Vette are OK the rest is just scrap metal anyway! JD
It was on the way to autobahn. This truck hasnt had very good luck while towing the trailer. Cars just jump out at it. Tons of power though. I doubt it will be getting Totaled.

Still trying to find the other guys insurance info out!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
It was on the way to autobahn. This truck hasnt had very good luck while towing the trailer. Cars just jump out at it. Tons of power though. I doubt it will be getting Totaled.

Still trying to find the other guys insurance info out!
cop didn't give it to you? Only metal and your not hurt but it is a PITA to lay up your truck to fix it.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
not that it is a sure solution, but that is one reason why I love my prodigy controller...worth every penny. It automatically senses panic stops and applies the maximum amount of voltage to trailer brakes.

Exactly why I spent the extra coin for the Prodigy.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm glad I finally hooked my prodigy up a month ago before towing in the mountians of TN.
I've had to panic stop towing without it once. I'm glad I have it, there were a lot of non driving folks on I20 comming home. I'm sure it saved me at least a half dozen times just coming home from CMP
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless the frame is badly bent up under the truck where we can't see, it's not a total loss. I'm guessing that truck is still a $30k+ truck, maybe more?

Get a load sensing brake controller. The Tekonsha Prodigy is the internet recommendation, but I've been using a Valley Odyssey which is also a load-sensing controller with an internal accelerometer... i.e. does the same thing as the Tekonsha.

I used to tow my open trailer with a smaller mid-size GMC Canyon. Used airbags, and equalizer hitch and the brake controller. I had a 15 passenger van flip in front of me doing 70 and I came within 5 feet of hitting them. Everything slowed down and it seemed like forever, but all the setup did its job.

With the right brake controller, properly setup (very key) and a properly maintained trailer (also very key) the truck will stop the same as unloaded.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear of the bad luck.

I too have the prodigy but in a panic stop the drum brakes on a trailer won't stop the extra weight in time to prevent a stupid driver from getting nailed.

Just towed the late model stockcar I bought from VA to FL this past weekend. Was pleasantly surprised at how well everyone was driving going up and back. Only saw two speeding, reckless, idiots, make potentially dangerous moves. Fortunately they both got away with it. Both incidents were also just far enough ahead of me I think I could have stopped in time if it didn't go well for them.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:00 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

When I ordered my trailer, the guy ask me if I wanted 4 wheels brakes or 2 wheels brakes.

I was like, "are you serious"

I'm stopping the full weight of the Corvette, plus the weight of the trailer, plus tools, plus extra tires, plus extra fuel jugs.

I think I'll go with 4 brakes please.

Then I brought the prodity controller, never had a problem stopping. I was very confident in my setup, and I always kept alot of bias on the trailer. I could always feel the trailer pulling back when applying brakes.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn man was wondering what was up with the pic, glad ya are ok

yeah i had a crash like yours in my audi going 60mph, car was totalled but damn it sure makes you leery coming up to corners now when going at highway speed thinking someone will turn in front of you.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Han Solo
I too have the prodigy but in a panic stop the drum brakes on a trailer won't stop the extra weight in time to prevent a stupid driver from getting nailed.
I guess it depends on the situation, but on my rig it worked when I had a 15-passenger van crash and end up sideways on its side in front of me in the left lane of the highway

Also, I'm not sure most people adjust their trailer drums as often as they're supposed to. When a trailer is new you need to adjust everything after a few hundred miles since it wears in. After thant once a year or about ever 3k miles works. Trailer drums should be adjusted tight enough that spinning the wheel/tire assembly as hard as you can by hand results in 1-2 full rotations. When I engage my brake controller manually the trailer will stop the whole rig
Old 10-28-2011, 09:34 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

You should be able to lock your trailer brakes. If not, it's asking for an accident.

Get notified of new replies

To A friendly reminder about saftey while towing your vette.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I'm sure everyone here does, when I start towing I test the trailer brakes several times to make sure they alone can stop the whole rig - just reach over and push the lever on the brake controller, and they better feel pretty strong! (Prodigy unit for sure).
Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM
b.lee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd

With the right brake controller, properly setup (very key) and a properly maintained trailer (also very key) the truck will stop the same as unloaded.

On my old setup the trailer brakes were strong, it would almost stop on a dime.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by larryfs
You should be able to lock your trailer brakes. If not, it's asking for an accident.
My understanding is that you want to drive around on flat ground about 30-35 mph and manually engage the controller (not using the vehicle brakes) to test. You up the max voltage on the controller until it will lock the tires, then back it off just a smidge. At least that's what the instructions that came with my Valley controller call for. Been doing it that way for years now

Quick Reply: A friendly reminder about saftey while towing your vette.