Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NARRA Daytona: My Weekend Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:40 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default NARRA Daytona: My Weekend Experience

On October 21-23 I headed down south to race in the North American Road Racing Association (NARRA finale at Daytona International Speedway.

I had reached out to the organizers during the summer to see if I would be welcome at their final event. My reason for asking if there would be an issue with me joining them is that with the races being held at DIS, and it being such a “magnet” –like track, they might object to me “cherry-picking” this event. No such concern; they were more than welcoming.

So, I promised myself if I got through the month of September without burning up the car too badly, we’d all head down to Daytona.

The NASA National Championship went well with me winning that race, and because it was held on a rainy track, the abuse of the car was held to a minimum.

Later in September, the SCCA Run Offs went almost as well, with me finishing second. Again, with me only running a few laps in qualifying on one day, sitting out the other days, and then the race only having 7 green-flag laps, the car was in real good shape at the end of the month. So…change the oil and wash the car! We’re south ‘bound and down…Daytona here we come!

Friday was a quasi test day combined with a 90-minute endurance race. A mandatory 5-minute pit stop was instituted so a driver change, as well as fueling, could be safely accomplished. I elected to run the car until we ran out of fuel, and then park it. I didn’t want to out too much wear on the car.

My first session on Friday morning had me clocking a 1:58.756. I was shocked, as I really didn’t know what to do on this track. After that session I predicted I could get into the 1:51-1:52 range before the weekend was over. I was 14th on the grid after the first session.

The endurance race qualifying had we gridded 14th again after I ran a 1:56.113 during the session. I felt pretty good, as I think I was the only car in the upper part of the field on DOT tires.

I started 14th, and before I brought the car in when the gas tank went to “almost” empty, I managed to take the overall lead. I did 20 laps (the winner did 35), finished 27th out of 59, and my best lap was a 1:54.878. I was improving.

Saturday’s schedule was similar: a practice and a qualifying session of 25 minutes each, then a 30-minute race. I qualified a disappointing 9th with a 1:54.182 because on my best lap I was held up on the back straight between turn six and the bus stop, feathering the throttle the entire time. I really think if I had a clean lap a 1:52 was possible. Oh well, it’s not like this hasn’t happened before…To give some perspective to this effort, Eric Curran, in what I think was a Whelen Engineering Rolex GT Corvette had the pole with a 1:50.594.

Saturday’s race results (I am guessing at the “type” of car these were):
1. Eric Curran Rolex GT Corvette 1:51.459
2. George Whelen World Challenge GT Corvette 1:51.100
3. Jim Stout World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:50.804
4. Michael Hartley World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:52.534
5. David Pintaric SCCA STO Viper ACRX 1:53.080
6. Russ Oasis World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:54.131
7. A.R. Hoshmandy World Challenge GT Corvette 1:52.420

There were a total of 40 cars in this race; not all in the same class. I was in the USGT Unlimited class.

Of note was Stan Wilson in my car’s “brother,” a SCCA STO Dodge Viper. Good old Stan was going to use some old Toyo 888s. When I heard that, I threw some used Hoosier A6s mounted on a set of Forgelines and told him to have some fun. The SOB had the nerve to out qualify me! I’ve heard of ubber-talented drivers taking another person’s cast-off parts and whipping them. This is the first time it has happened to me; I need to reconsider my generosity…Stan broke his transmission when I was right on his rear bumper, so he finished as a DNF. But still…

Sunday’s qualifying grid was set by combining our best lap times from Saturday’s race and Sunday’s practice session. I elected not to go out Sunday morning, so they used my results from the race. I started the second race from the 7th spot.

Sunday’s race results (I want to reiterate, I am “guessing” at the type (Rolex/WCGT), don’t know for sure on some of these entries, but some I am very certain):

1. Jim Stout World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:49.738
2. Eric Curran Rolex GT Corvette 1:53.012
3. Sonny Whelen World Challenge GT Corvette 1:53.036
4. George Whelen World Challenge GT Corvette 1:50.704
5. Russ Oasis World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:54.938
6. David Pintaric SCCA STO Viper ACRX 1:52.949
7. Michael Hartley World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:53.526
8. Bernie Katz World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:53.688
Again, the field was pretty big, with 31 cars taking the green flag (the reason for the smaller field on Sunday was that this event was a NARRA/PBOC combined effort, and the Porsche and BMW drivers had their own race just before ours on Sunday, on Saturday we all raced together.).

Stan Wilson again was ahead of me before finding some bad luck. Him and I were nose-to-tail (me chasing) when I saw he was getting “black flagged,” so I wasn’t going to try anything aggressive to get by him. But for some reason he didn’t see the flag, so he kept on racing. Entering turn one he cut a tire, and while watching him fight the car I was distracted enough that I put the transmission in to the wrong gear, causing me to spin. I lost a spot to George Whelen, and tried to catch him, but a Full Course Yellow came out. It helped bunch the field up, but we had some slower cars just in front of us, so I got held up a bit and lost two spots at the restart. I was able to retake one, but couldn’t pass the well-driven car of Russ Oasis.

All-in-all a successful weekend; met some new friends, and reconnected with some old ones. It has been a long time since Stan and I shared a race track, and it is a treat to see him wheel a car. Also got to spend some time with Cindi and Fred Lux; great, great people. I really don’t know Cindi all that well, but she is such a warm and genuine person it is hard not to like her.

I am looking at NARRAs schedule for 2012, and it is very tempting. I think my focus is going to be in that direction, maybe in a Viper Cup ACRX…we’ll see. But going to VIR, Watkins Glen, Texas World, Monticello, and two other tracks that are “rumored” but not contracted at this point, sure looks like fun.

Fields like what I experienced this weekend sure get the competitive juices flowing.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

So an acr-x huh? That should be fun.

Why do they have Stout listed as GT-1 and not unlimited?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice write up, David. A LOT of very fast cars in that NARRA/PBOC group!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:51 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Why do they have Stout listed as GT-1 and not unlimited?
Tha's the class he entered. There were several GT1 cars in the field.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Tha's the class he entered. There were several GT1 cars in the field.
I'm thinking NARRA GT-1 class which means 6.5:1 weight to power ratio, is that the one you are talking about? Because that's awefully fast for that weight/power.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:28 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks for a great post race writeup David. It makes me want to run out and enter next year's race........(Note I have neither the car nor the years, but I still have the urge)
Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking NARRA GT-1 class which means 6.5:1 weight to power ratio, is that the one you are talking about? Because that's awefully fast for that weight/power.
I was at Daytona bringing a customers car to him. We were going to race our Speedsouth/Active Power car but we looked at the hours on the engine and decided it might not make it the weekend. I watched the races and I agree with you, Stouts car should be in GTU. The car would pull the Whelen car with Curran driving down the back strait by a large margin. I also experienced this myself when we raced at Road Atlanta with him and at VIR with NARRA. We are in GTU with NARRA and the car blows by us like we are parked.

P.S. Great write up David!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:33 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Nice info, David!!!

I attended the HPDE part of the event, but just one day on Sunday.

I've run the event with PBOC in the past, and also with Audi/HOD several times.

All the other HPDE events I've participated in at Daytona and elsewhere are just HPDE cars and drivers - the PBOC one is the only one where actual racing is also going on during the event.

Not being a racer I'm never running 10/10ths, but I still feel like I'm really hauling the mail when roaring around Daytona.

But when I compare my wimpy 2:05/2:06 laps to what you guys are turning, it really makes me feel like I'm just out for a Sunday cruise!!!

I think the 1:50 times you guys were running are something like the GT class in the Rolex 24, aren't they?

What do the DP cars run during the Rolex???

Bob
Old 10-29-2011, 02:44 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Nice info, David!!!

I attended the HPDE part of the event, but just one day on Sunday.

I've run the event with PBOC in the past, and also with Audi/HOD several times.

All the other HPDE events I've participated in at Daytona and elsewhere are just HPDE cars and drivers - the PBOC one is the only one where actual racing is also going on during the event.

Not being a racer I'm never running 10/10ths, but I still feel like I'm really hauling the mail when roaring around Daytona.

But when I compare my wimpy 2:05/2:06 laps to what you guys are turning, it really makes me feel like I'm just out for a Sunday cruise!!!

I think the 1:50 times you guys were running are something like the GT class in the Rolex 24, aren't they?

What do the DP cars run during the Rolex???

Bob

1:48 GT cars 1:40 DP cars at Daytona 2011
Old 10-29-2011, 03:17 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
I was at Daytona bringing a customers car to him. We were going to race our Speedsouth/Active Power car but we looked at the hours on the engine and decided it might not make it the weekend. I watched the races and I agree with you, Stouts car should be in GTU. The car would pull the Whelen car with Curran driving down the back strait by a large margin. I also experienced this myself when we raced at Road Atlanta with him and at VIR with NARRA. We are in GTU with NARRA and the car blows by us like we are parked.

P.S. Great write up David!
Sounds like between this and what they did with MTI's customer they have some issues with classing. I thought it didn't get any more simple than math. Unfortunate. Doesn't seem like they are running with PBOC next year either and not much in the southeast. So oh well.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:25 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Great write up David. I hate that I didn't get a chance to meet you at the NASA nationals.
I hope to make some NARRA events next year.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Sounds like between this and what they did with MTI's customer they have some issues with classing. I thought it didn't get any more simple than math. Unfortunate. Doesn't seem like they are running with PBOC next year either and not much in the southeast. So oh well.
Not running with PBOC - what is the downside here?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:06 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by varkwso
Because the PBOC/NARRA events are pretty great, and three of them were some of the best events in the south (Road Atlanta, Sebring and Daytona). I happen to like watching the racing amongst the events being all around fantastic.

With the NARRA schedule already listed, and only two dates remaining, at the very least, one of those big events will not be combined between the two.

I had also planned on doing the TT at the February Road Atlanta event.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:41 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

If you look at their schedule, most of them are a long way off from where I am use to driving. But hey, if you got the money to travel and the time I would do it in a flash. I saw the places and one of them is Watkins Glenn.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

2012 NARRA Calendar announced.

Save the dates now!

2012 NARRA Calendar

March TBA

April 20-22 Texas World Speedway - College Station, TX

May TBA

June 8-10 New Jersey Motorsports Park - Millville, NJ

July 13-15 Virginia International Raceway - Alton, VA

Aug 24-26 Monticello Motor Club - Monticello, NY*

Sept 28-30 Texas World Speedway - College Station, TX

Oct 19-21 Watkins Glen Int'l - Watkins Glen, NY

*Monticello to feature competition groups only.

Stay up to date with all the latest USGTC, Whelen USTTC and USPDE news, calendar announcements and rules. Follow us at Facebook.com/NARRAonline or visit NARRAonline.com.

USGT logo large

Whelen US TimeTrial Championship

US Performance Driver Education Program
Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
2012 NARRA Calendar announced.

Save the dates now!

2012 NARRA Calendar

March TBA

April 20-22 Texas World Speedway - College Station, TX

May TBA

June 8-10 New Jersey Motorsports Park - Millville, NJ

July 13-15 Virginia International Raceway - Alton, VA

Aug 24-26 Monticello Motor Club - Monticello, NY*

Sept 28-30 Texas World Speedway - College Station, TX

Oct 19-21 Watkins Glen Int'l - Watkins Glen, NY

*Monticello to feature competition groups only.

Stay up to date with all the latest USGTC, Whelen USTTC and USPDE news, calendar announcements and rules. Follow us at Facebook.com/NARRAonline or visit NARRAonline.com.

USGT logo large

Whelen US TimeTrial Championship

US Performance Driver Education Program
Nice locations. But the SE does get short shrift.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the VIR event earlier this year and ran against a race prepped, gutted, full aero and suspension Viper that was supposedly at 8.7 to 1. Even at 400 hp (which I doubt) he'd have to be 3,480 pounds and I kind of doubt it did. Anyways, it's was still a good event and I had fun.

I'm going to try and make VIR and NJMP next year. Maybe they will add Road Atlanta. Not sure I'm crazy about finale being at Watkins Glen in October. Heck, it might be snowing there!!!

Thanks for the write up - always wanted to run Daytona and keep missing it.

Get notified of new replies

To NARRA Daytona: My Weekend Experience

Old 10-30-2011, 01:18 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Nice locations. But the SE does get short shrift.
Road Atlanta and Road America...
Old 10-30-2011, 07:14 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Road Atlanta and Road America...
Not on 2012, yet. I ran Road Atlanta with them.

Road America is not SE....

VIR is....
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
I did the VIR event earlier this year and ran against a race prepped, gutted, full aero and suspension Viper that was supposedly at 8.7 to 1. Even at 400 hp (which I doubt) he'd have to be 3,480 pounds and I kind of doubt it did. Anyways, it's was still a good event and I had fun.

I'm going to try and make VIR and NJMP next year. Maybe they will add Road Atlanta. Not sure I'm crazy about finale being at Watkins Glen in October. Heck, it might be snowing there!!!

Thanks for the write up - always wanted to run Daytona and keep missing it.
I ran against those same guys in Vipers. It was still a great event.

Quick Reply: NARRA Daytona: My Weekend Experience