Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mintex Xtreme pads?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:44 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mintex Xtreme pads?

Anyone use them? I only found one reference to them from 2008 on here. I doing my first HPDE with my 2011 base coupe next month and would like a pad that I can use on the street also. Supposed to be good to 1300F and work well cold.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...model=CORVETTE

Engineered using race-bred 'X-Series' friction materials, Mintex Xtreme brake pads give you the benefits gained from winning races worldwide for over 75 years. Not upgraded street friction, these pads were born at the track. The very latest compounding technology and race pad production techniques give these pads tremendous stopping power from dead cold to over 1300°F (700°C), creating a whole new performance standard.

While Xtreme provides the most aggressive braking performance available anywhere, excuses or compromises are not included.

• Xtremely high friction for race pad stopping power
• Excellent grip -- From Cold to over 1300°F
• Linear & predictable under all conditions
• Thermally stable for no-fade performance
• Lower dust than previous high-performance pads
• Quiet as OE
• Moderate wear rate compared to other higher grip pads
• Quick release for fast corner exits
• Rotor-friendly for less grooving and pad material build-up
Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I used them a few years ago at Road America, lasted less than 1 day and that was with an AP BBK, I was not happy. Stillen did'nt seem to care either and it was their recrommendation. EBC set me up with some yellow and blue pads to check out for free after hearing the story. I just used the EBC blue at Joilet Autobahn full track with Hooked On Driving and I was pleased with them, maybe qtr pad used. I've used the yellow pads at autocross and smaller road tracks. I have used Pagid RS421 and Ferrdo2500 pads with better success than the Mintex. I was going to check out the Performance Friction or Cobolt if it were not for EBC. EBC's worked out so far and I'd get them again.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info. My buddy that races an Evo and a Miata runs the Cobalt and PF pads.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:41 AM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lets start with this is just my opinion.

I have the Mintex racing in my Boxster and it isn't as good with initial bite as the Porterfield R4, or Cobalt, or PFC, but it is still a helluva pad, lasts a long time (I believe I am on my 7-8th track day, and yes, Porsches do not eat pads like Vettes do).

My 06 C6 Z51 and 08 C6Z06, I have used Cobalts XR2, PFC 99, Hawk DTC70, and many more that I cannot think of right now...EBC bluestuff is the worse pad ever. I think I actually liked the stock pads better, because they were more predictable. My buddy (99FRC) and I took advantage of the "test" pads by EBC, and we were scared to sh*t to use them after a few track days, not confident inspiring at all.

We run in the fastest run group (usu with the race cars) in all the tracks I go to. I am also an instructor.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the reviews. I've been talking with Andy at Carbotech about pads. He said for my first ever track day to just put in some good brake fluid and use my stock pads since I only have 1000 miles on the car. He recommended my next step to be XP8 front and rear until I need more pad. Then maybe an XP10 in front. I plan on keeping my base model brakes since rotors are so cheap. I may upgrade to Wilwood calipers down the road, but keep the stock base model rotor sizes to keep replacement cost low.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I don't think the Mintex Xtreme pads are their track pads, AP site lists Mintex's better pads. I'm going to try something other than the EBC's next year. Great to hear other opinions.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Here's a pretty good recent test

One of the best brake pad comparison tests can be found in the Oct 2011 issue of GRM. Go and buy your copy! It's not often they have a test on real road racing track.

Pro driver: James Clay, drives for Bimmerworld team in Grand Am
Track: VIR 2.26 mile North Course
Car: 2002 track prepped BMW M3 (supplied James Clay)
Tires: New set of 275/35/18 Hoosier R6's fitted before each pad change
Rotors: New set of PFC direct drive rotors fitted for each pad set
Weather: Overcast all day, 72 to 76 degrees
Duration of test: 1 day, 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM, 11 laps per pad
Data logging: AIM Sports with Chad Brakens

Conditions for test could not have been better in my opinion.

Results: ( in order of fastest average laptime)

Cobalt CRB XR1: Average lap 1:38.56, Fast lap: 1:38.22
Performance Friction 01: Average lap 1:38.81, Fast lap: 1:37.90
Hawk DTC-70 front, HT-10 rear: Average lap 1:38.86, Fast lap: 1:38.32
Essex Carbon Lorraine RC6: Average lap 1:39.41, Fast lap: 1:38.91
Porterfield R4: Average lap 1:39.44, Fast lap: 1:38.98
EBC Bluestuff AF66: Average lap 1:40.20, Fast lap: 1:39.78

First notice how good James Clay is in terms of consistency over 11 laps for each car by comparing his best time on any pad to his average time on the same pad. Pro driver makes for steady and fast every lap.

Difference from best pad's average lap time to compare pads:

Cobalt CRB XR1: 0.00 reference
Performance Friction 01: 0.25 seconds
Hawk DTC-70 front, HT-10 rear: 0.30 seconds
Essex Carbon Lorraine RC6: 0.85 seconds
Porterfield R4: 0.88 seconds
EBC Bluestuff AF66: 1.64 seconds

So Cobalt is best, followed by two equal results about 1/4 second behind in Hawk and PFC pads, then Carbon Lorraine and Porterfield almost a second slower, and EBC pulling up the rear with over a 1.5 second deficit and a comment about James having to pump the pedal to get confidence and brake pressure going through the roof.

Article says Hawk results were compromised because they didn't send the same pad front and rear and James said balance was wrong and their data logging confirmed. Article concludes by saying that test results could have been different had Hawk sent the same pads front and rear. James Clay races on PFC pads and rotors, but test was done blind (although he guessed correctly when car was fitted with the PFC pads).

They must have spent quite a bit of money on this test, and they did it right. With more time and money, they could have tested more pads, but I'm impressed with what they did. I for one am going to keep on using my Hawk DTC pads.

Unfortunately no mention at all about longevity. 11 lap test on new pads would make it difficult to determine how long they last as pad wear would be quite minimal. Likely would have to do a few sessions on each pad to measure wear. Pad price in their test on the BMW was around $450-$470 for a front and rear set, except for Porterfield which was $390 and EBC at $300.

You have to read the article to see the comments about the pads' performance and feel though. Much more info than just the lap times I posted above. There are some data logging charts, but they are rather small and thus hard to read I found.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Awesome. My buddy at work gets GRM. I'll have to snag it from him.

Last edited by jon6.0; 11-04-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 AM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That's why this forum is so awesome...the willing to share info!

I will have to get that issue of GRM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mintex Xtreme pads?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mintex Xtreme pads?