Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbeau A4 vs Sparco R100

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 AM
sergeyk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corbeau A4 vs Sparco R100

Car: 1997 C5 Coupe.

Looking for pros and cones of both seats and fitment.
I am looking at Corbeau A4 (black suede) and Sparco R100 black.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Are you looking to use a 5 or 6 point harness? It doesn't look like the R100 comes without a sub belt pass through so you wouldn't be able to use a sub belt with that seat. Running the sub belt over the front of the seat defeats the purpose of the sub belt and actually reduces the effectiveness of the lap belt.

The A4 can be ordered with a sub belt pass through.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-10-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 PM
sergeyk
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Are you looking to use a 5 or 6 point harness? It doesn't look like the R100 comes with a sub belt pass through so you wouldn't be able to use a sub belt with that seat. Running the sub belt over the front of the seat defeats the purpose of the sub belt and actually reduces the effectiveness of the lap belt.

The A4 can be ordered with a sub belt pass through.

Bill
I want seat with 5 point harness capability, but still streetable...
Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by sergeyk
I want seat with 5 point harness capability, but still streetable...
I corrected my post I originally said with when I meant without for the R100.

Bill
Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
sergeyk
Racer

So Corbeau A4 is the way to go then...
I plan to track my car (HPDE, auto-x only, no real W2W) 10-15 days a year - will A4 hold me tight enough?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

My 2 cents on the A4: with proper harness its far better at holding you in than a stockish seat and belt (obviously) but its no where near as good as a true race seat. So in other words its a step up from stock but falls short of a 'real' seat. On the plus side it is adjustable. The bolsters are low enough that you could still use stock belts on the street. Its reasonably comfortable for 1-2 hrs on the highway, after that and my butt would start to ache. Get the lumbar support, mine didn't have them and my back paid for it. For the price it does a decent enough job.

I've since switched to FX1 Pros and like them better. But the only time my car sees street duty is driving to-from events. They are too much of a compromise for routine street use.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:11 PM
sergeyk
Racer

Originally Posted by argonaut
My 2 cents on the A4: with proper harness its far better at holding you in than a stockish seat and belt (obviously) but its no where near as good as a true race seat. So in other words its a step up from stock but falls short of a 'real' seat. On the plus side it is adjustable. The bolsters are low enough that you could still use stock belts on the street. Its reasonably comfortable for 1-2 hrs on the highway, after that and my butt would start to ache. Get the lumbar support, mine didn't have them and my back paid for it. For the price it does a decent enough job.

I've since switched to FX1 Pros and like them better. But the only time my car sees street duty is driving to-from events. They are too much of a compromise for routine street use.
Yes, I absolutely understand the compromise between fixed real race seat and say race seat wannabe, but I only do HPDE 10-15 times a season and planning to DD this car, so sporty seat with ability to facilitate 5pt harness as well as stock harness is a better choice for me at this point....
Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are you planning on mounting the seat? If you're tall you'll need to be careful since some of these seats based on the type of mounting may put you closer to the roof.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 PM
sergeyk
Racer

Originally Posted by gmccreary
How are you planning on mounting the seat? If you're tall you'll need to be careful since some of these seats based on the type of mounting may put you closer to the roof.
I am 6.4 - A4s have tall version by shaving the bottom...
Any other options?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do they only mount from the bottom? I couldn't find out how they mount on the Corbeau website. I have Corbeau FX1 Pros mounted on the sides on Hardbar seat rails. I'm afraid if you put them on sliding seat mounts you may have a head room problem.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

As a data point: I'm 6 ft. With the A4s on sliders I had no problems, a bit of room to spare. With the FX1 bottom mounted and with the mounting "legs" shaved off I still need to remove the bottm seat cushion or my helmet hits the roof. I now have Gary's rails, just havent installed them yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Corbeau A4 vs Sparco R100

Quick Reply: Corbeau A4 vs Sparco R100