Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long shot ... offseason NJMP track day ...

Old 11-11-2011, 12:59 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Long shot ... offseason NJMP track day ...

NJMP is offering track rental, either Lightning or Thunderbolt, for $3,995 per day December 1 to March 1. That's a no frills price, though it does include continental breaskfast and lunch. To add flaggers and race control is $1,500. Max 6 cars on track at a time, gives about a max of 24 cars. Track time 9am - 4pm. This price does include emergency and tow services.

This would be int/adv only as there will not be instructors.

Assuming no one would want to pay more than $300, that yields the below prices ...

# cars cost
18 $305
19 $289
20 $275
21 $262
22 $250
23 $239
24 $229

Question is, are there at least 18 cars in proximity to NJMP that would be interested? That would be willing to put up $305 in the event that we don't get more than 18 cars? I spoke to them this morning and we basically would have to get commitment, meaning deposits, from everyone, book a date and pay. Date would be subject to move depending on weather - meaning snow. Then of course some people may not be able to agree on a new date, etc. Rain or shine = show up.

Just trying to gauge interest to see if it's worth trying to coordinate something that might be tricky to pull off smoothly.

Who would be up for it? I'm thinking relatively soon would be better than Jan or Feb in light of the recent thread regarding the suckiness of cold track days.

I would be willing to manage the deposits and the contract with NJMP, build a schedule for the day, etc. My buddy and I make 2. 16 or more out there?

- Ray D, Chester Springs PA
Old 11-11-2011, 01:31 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could reduce the price by using drivers as the flaggers. I use to run with CART frequently and their track day was always 1/2 of the next competitor. They did this by not paying for flaggers. They ran an open track day,and each driver had to spend 1 hour of the day flagging at a corner. So even though you had to flag for an hour, you got like 7 hours of open track time (they ran through lunch). Just another option to reduce the price, now you are down to $166 per driver with 24 drivers that do their own flagging(gives you 4 rotating sessions with 6 cars each session). If you have never flagged at an event it gives you a great new perspective on the whole thing...something good to experience.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:45 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

you in?

I thought of that, and no I have not personally worked a flag station. I assume they need communications which I don't have. We'd also need to solve for stage and pit out control personnel which I suppose we could rotate too. Starts to get complicated. Can't run it as purely open track due to 6 on track at a time constraint.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

ttt
Old 11-12-2011, 03:08 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like fun. Put me down as tentatively in. Ultimately it will depend on the date.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Mister_OT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This makes sense with 24 drivers. At 6 cars on the track, there will be very little traffic. I will be interested if 24 are running. I will forward to some people I know. Are we limited to Vettes only?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:32 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

no, not limited to vettes.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 PM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hmmm, interested but like someone else said, it's largely dependent on date
Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Mister_OT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked with 3 different Corvette guys and all are concerned about temperatures being too low.... I'm still in if the temp holds and we get enough cars to participate.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

therein lies the rub ... once we commit the only valid reason to move the date is snow. Rain or shine or low temps (but no ice or snow) means we'd have to show up. And weather forecasts arent that good past what, 5 days out. Seems we have 5 interested so far.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 AM
TryNkeepUp
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I share the same concerns about cold temperatures - cold pavement/tires + racing = not good, lol. I can't see where the pavement or the tires will retain any kind of heat.

That said, it does seem like a good deal and I have someone who is interested (I would be if I didn't sell my car) but just can't post on this forum so on his behalf.....you now have six interested

Get notified of new replies

To Long shot ... offseason NJMP track day ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long shot ... offseason NJMP track day ...