Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Cell Phone "Lap Timer" Testing

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:31 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Interesting Cell Phone "Lap Timer" Testing

While I was helping a friend with his time attack car this weekend I decided to go ahead and mount my Droid X in his car using the Trackmaster App. The sat reception at the track was only showing accurate to 20ft, which is less accurate than the normal 8ft accuracy it reports. The car is also equipped with an AIM GPS lap timer and the official event timing and scoring using the tracks transponder system.

To my surprise, even with the not so great 20ft accuracy the cell phone read consistently within ~3 hundredths of a second of the track and AIM system.

This was using the cell phone only mounted to the windshield, and NO external antenna. Not bad for a $9 app.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
While I was helping a friend with his time attack car this weekend I decided to go ahead and mount my Droid X in his car using the Trackmaster App. The sat reception at the track was only showing accurate to 20ft, which is less accurate than the normal 8ft accuracy it reports. The car is also equipped with an AIM GPS lap timer and the official event timing and scoring using the tracks transponder system.

To my surprise, even with the not so great 20ft accuracy the cell phone read consistently within ~3 hundredths of a second of the track and AIM system.

This was using the cell phone only mounted to the windshield, and NO external antenna. Not bad for a $9 app.

That's what I use and love it. I also have a 10Hz Bluetooth GPS that I use (left over from another timer) and haven't found that it makes any improvement on timing but helps for mapping and G's.
I have had the same results with accuracy, about 3 - 4 hundredths.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

i used aLapRecorderHD on my Droid HTC incredible. Its a FREE app
It was also about dead on versus my race-keeper in-car video/data system.

Here is the video it takes (no data overlays though) when I put it on my friends supercharged M coupe following my car with a $5 ebay windshield mount:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQCDIhVPhjs
Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The GPS accuracy for lap times is not particularly important. Your phone GPS antenna reads within 20 ft of absolute postion on the globe, but it's much more accurate in relation to itself. In other words, it may be 20 ft north of actual GPS postion on the earth, but all points within a lap are therefore 20 ft to the north so your laptimes will be pretty accurate (as you demonstrated). It's still reading an x,y position at all times. Throw in a lot of z (elevation), however, and you might not get an accurate distance or laptimes

For our vehicle testing, we use dual antennas (mounted a set distance apart along the x axis of the car), accurate to 10 cm. Among other things, this level of accuracy allows the measurement of actual vehicle rotation (to compare against a yaw sensor, for example). Of course these sensors can cost from $8k to $50k!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Mister_OT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
i used aLapRecorderHD on my Droid HTC incredible. Its a FREE app
It was also about dead on versus my race-keeper in-car video/data system.

Here is the video it takes (no data overlays though) when I put it on my friends supercharged M coupe following my car with a $5 ebay windshield mount:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQCDIhVPhjs
OK...this might be a dumb question... but my Droid has the camera in the back of the phone. If I use the car mount, it blocks the video. How did you mount it so it can record videos at the same time? Which mount do you use?
Thanks,
Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Anybody know of an app for Blackberry?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister_OT
OK...this might be a dumb question... but my Droid has the camera in the back of the phone. If I use the car mount, it blocks the video. How did you mount it so it can record videos at the same time? Which mount do you use?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180718823866...84.m1439.l2649
Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister_OT
Thanks,
Not sure which Droid you have, but this is the one I use for my Droid X

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIgBEPICMAA
Old 11-20-2011, 10:21 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
Anybody know of an app for Blackberry?
Yes! Blackberry please!

Or something that works on iOS?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE_VETTES
Or something that works on iOS?

I've seen iPeople use Harry's Lap Timer. It even does video overlay right in the app. (I wish Trackmaster would add that functionality.)

http://gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Cell Phone "Lap Timer" Testing

Quick Reply: Interesting Cell Phone "Lap Timer" Testing