Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Track Rotor for Carbotech XP-12?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 AM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Track Rotor for Carbotech XP-12?

I've been running Carbotech XP-10s up front for the track on the basic NAPA solid rotors. These rotors aren't lasting one to two days at the track. I don't know if it is the poor quality Chinese manufacturing or I'm just harder on them. I'll be switching to XP-12s next season and wanted to see what rotors most are using with this pad. I'm seeing too many NAPA rotors cracking at the track lately. Thanks for replies.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by DansBlkonBlkZ06
I've been running Carbotech XP-10s up front for the track on the basic NAPA solid rotors. These rotors aren't lasting one to two days at the track. I don't know if it is the poor quality Chinese manufacturing or I'm just harder on them. I'll be switching to XP-12s next season and wanted to see what rotors most are using with this pad. I'm seeing too many NAPA rotors cracking at the track lately. Thanks for replies.
Dba rotors 4000 series or Performance AFX
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 11-24-2011, 11:19 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Dan,

Are you cracking rotors before changing them? You should get at least a couple of days out of them before cracking.

I just switched to a 2pc front, you can come over and get some of my old spares if you want. Not sure how many I have, we'll have to look through the garage and the trailer to see.

-Kevin
Old 11-24-2011, 11:27 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I run Wilwood 2 pc fronts and Coleman rings for the rear. I can tell you on the rear, the coleman rings at almost a lifetime part. I have a set of rings that have literally thousands of tracks miles on them and still are holding up.

Fronts take a bigger beating but the Wilwood stuff has held up really well. The quality of the NAPA stuff went in the dump when they went from the Canadian made rotors to the chinese pot metal crap. After busting a rotor in the PTA race in March and seeing what an exploding rotor did to Kim Reed's car, I'm pretty much done using doingddaoingdadoingdadoing rotors any more.

I run XP8/10/12
Old 11-24-2011, 02:03 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I run DBA 2-piece up front and they lasted over a year (8+ track weekends) and are still fine. I only replaced them becuase I installed Wilwood SL6Rs up front which put the pad in a different position so I wanted to start with fresh rotors. They're my spares now. Worth every penny over the NAPAs and changing rotors every weekend.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I use stock rotors with XP12s and get a couple weekends out of them. But if I wasn't getting then replaced under autozone warranty I'd run Mark's setup.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I use stock rotors with XP12s and get a couple weekends out of them. But if I wasn't getting then replaced under autozone warranty I'd run Mark's setup.
+1 stock rotors... nothing fancy. I might look into the Wilwood 2-piece rotors eventually like I run on my 2009 Mustang GT with Wilwood calipers.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:15 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I know where you guys can get a great deal on WW 2pc fronts.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:18 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I run DBA 2-piece up front and they lasted over a year (8+ track weekends) and are still fine. I only replaced them becuase I installed Wilwood SL6Rs up front which put the pad in a different position so I wanted to start with fresh rotors. They're my spares now. Worth every penny over the NAPAs and changing rotors every weekend.
I have had excellent experience w DBA rotors as well. while i have thrown out a few DBA5000 rings, I never cracked one, my record was 9 days when I sold the car. My record of fastest destruction of a napa rotor was 6 sessions.

I have recently ran xp16 pad with DBA4000 rotors for 2 days on a heavy FWD car, heavy brake use. I am down to about 40% of the pad left and the rotors still look like new. I ruined stock rotors with this pad in 3 wet sessions.

for the money, these are great. they are not the best out there, but the prices really go up from here.

i have nightmares about years of hauling endless napa spares to the track, changing them in the paddock in 100 degree sun (or 45 degree rain) while everyone else is either driving or resting, missing whole track days or looking for a spare hundreds of miles away from my garage because piece of junk rotor decided to crack a day earlier than the last one - it is a lottery where you are always the loser, you are just gambling on when.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan, I just swithced over to the rear rotors with Coleman rings drivinhard mentioned. If you want to stop by and look at mine, I am around this weekend and plan to work on the car tomorrow. Also, drivinhard can hook you up with some light weight hats for those rings. I will see him next weekend, and could bring them back for you.

I will be switching to either the Willwood 2 pc fronts that drivinhard mentioned or the dba 2 pc travisnd mentioned for the front next season.

Neither of these options are cheap, but I am tired of dragging all thsoe rotors around and changing them all the time. Plus, given how long they are lasting, they may even be cheaper over the long haul.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Rednels
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have AP calipers in front with Coleman rings and they last me a very long time with Carbotech xp12 pads. Good stuff. I get them from Performance AFX.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Track Rotor for Carbotech XP-12?

Quick Reply: Best Track Rotor for Carbotech XP-12?