Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket valve springs and affects on horsepower.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Aftermarket valve springs and affects on horsepower.

Stock '99 LS1 with headers. 352RWHP before a serious over rev bent a few valves at the NASA nationals race in Sept.
I swapped one cylinder head (stock to stock - both crappy 853 castings) and upgraded the valve springs to PAC1218's on both sides.
Since then, the car is noticeably down on power. I haven't had a chance to re-dyno, but my data shows a loss of 9mph on the back stretch at Rd Atl. 148mpg in the heat of the August summer vs 139mph this past weekend where the December air was perfect - cold and dry.

The cyl head was from a low mileage car known to be in great condition. It was from a friends car that ran strong before he swapped heads and cam.

Is it possible that switching the valve springs may be the main culprit?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by sperkins
I dynoed 363 3 years ago, and have spun the dog sheit out of my engine ever since. Put fresh valve springs in and dynoed 365 this year. I'd say the fresh springs helped maintain the hp level.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

With those baby springs, it should be neglible at most. Even with big boy springs, many builders find no difference.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...e-more-hp.html

At that speed - 9mph is a lot of hp (like adding a serious wing). Are you showing decreased acceleration in the lower ranges? Anything else odd?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

my data shows a loss of 9mph on the back stretch at Rd Atl. 148mpg in the heat of the August summer vs 139mph this past weekend where the December air was perfect - cold and dry.
down 30 hp, still whipped most of the TTA field

something was for sure up, I have run with your car a lot, I've never closed in on you like that.

I'd recommend just leaving that motor in, as is
Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Hell, I'll buy it. The thing won't die!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

unless the valves are floating, which I think you'd notice, I wouldn't expect there to be that much of an issue. The springs just need to be stiff enough to keep the roller on the cam at all times, and enough seat pressure to make a good seal (for a few milliseconds)
Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock '99 LS1 with headers. 352RWHP before a serious over rev bent a few valves at the NASA nationals race in Sept.
I swapped one cylinder head (stock to stock - both crappy 853 castings) and upgraded the valve springs to PAC1218's on both sides.
Since then, the car is noticeably down on power. I haven't had a chance to re-dyno, but my data shows a loss of 9mph on the back stretch at Rd Atl. 148mpg in the heat of the August summer vs 139mph this past weekend where the December air was perfect - cold and dry.

The cyl head was from a low mileage car known to be in great condition. It was from a friends car that ran strong before he swapped heads and cam.

My similiar problem in August was oil from the valvecover going into the air bridge and fouling the MAF. I doubt it is your springs. You could have tweaked a ring and lost some compression. Have you done a leakdown test?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
My similiar problem in August was oil from the valvecover going into the air bridge and fouling the MAF.
The MAF is at the air box though?? You're saying the oil was going upstream through the bridge all the way to the MAF?

Originally Posted by varkwso
You could have tweaked a ring and lost some compression. Have you done a leakdown test?
Negative. My gut feeling is that there's a valvetrain issue on the other side of the engine. I checked the push rods on that side when I installed the springs, but didn't do a compression test. It's possible there may be valve damage over there, but there were no bent push rods and the valves stayed up when I used compressed air in the cylinders to install the springs.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MAF is at the air box though?? You're saying the oil was going upstream through the bridge all the way to the MAF?

Negative. My gut feeling is that there's a valvetrain issue on the other side of the engine. I checked the push rods on that side when I installed the springs, but didn't do a compression test. It's possible there may be valve damage over there, but there were no bent push rods and the valves stayed up when I used compressed air in the cylinders to install the springs.
I poured oil out of air bridge....
Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Negative. My gut feeling is that there's a valvetrain issue on the other side of the engine.
get on it
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Old motor that gets the snot beat out of it.... I'd check the compression first then move on to the next steps.

And Jeff's right... if you're really pressurizing the crank you can push lots of oil into the intake to the point it'll drip out of the filter. There's a reason I have two catch-cans installed.

Luckily mine's an '01 so it just burns the oil and doesn't give it a chance to make it to the intake... it just makes it to the rear bumper
Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, like Jeff and Travis, I was also pushing oil out the filter.

Originally Posted by travisnd
Old motor that gets the snot beat out of it.... I'd check the compression first then move on to the next steps.

And Jeff's right... if you're really pressurizing the crank you can push lots of oil into the intake to the point it'll drip out of the filter. There's a reason I have two catch-cans installed.

Luckily mine's an '01 so it just burns the oil and doesn't give it a chance to make it to the intake... it just makes it to the rear bumper

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket valve springs and affects on horsepower.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket valve springs and affects on horsepower.