Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBC Oil Pump for a Race Car? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default SBC Oil Pump for a Race Car? Opinions?

For most of you this may be considered a "restoration" , but I am looking for some input/opinions on oil pumps for my C4. I am building a new engine, and the last one was all stock. I know some people say a high volume pump will drain the pain too quickly. I was thinking of just putting a high pressure spring into a Melling M155 standard volume pump, but considering I also have to push the oil through a cooler and accusump, would it make sense to use a high volume pump? I know most on here are now running an LSX, but I bet everyone has played with the gen 1 engines before.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what we ran in our carbed and stroked LT4! Titan GM sportsman Had to do a little beatin and bangin to the Canton pan! Damn good pumps!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Im sure they make good pumps, but are they really $700 better than a Melling?! They look very well made but this is a super low budget build. That pump costs more than the rotating assembly I put it, but I did ask for feedback and opinions, so thank you for the option.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kubs
Im sure they make good pumps, but are they really $700 better than a Melling?! They look very well made but this is a super low budget build. That pump costs more than the rotating assembly I put it, but I did ask for feedback and opinions, so thank you for the option.
Yeah they are a bit pricey, but solid pumps! I think my builder got it for just under $500 4 years ago and that's all they run in their road course cars. I had a few pump issues up to that point and didn't want to worry any more about it.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 PM
GS023
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kubs
For most of you this may be considered a "restoration" , but I am looking for some input/opinions on oil pumps for my C4. I am building a new engine, and the last one was all stock. I know some people say a high volume pump will drain the pain too quickly. I was thinking of just putting a high pressure spring into a Melling M155 standard volume pump, but considering I also have to push the oil through a cooler and accusump, would it make sense to use a high volume pump? I know most on here are now running an LSX, but I bet everyone has played with the gen 1 engines before.

That’s what I am running in my track car with a canton pan, accusump, and oil cooler. The high volume puts an extra load on the distributor gear which wound up stripping out on my car. This pump provides plenty of volume and pressure IMHO. I run Mobil 1 10-30 high mileage oil.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mellings good. I've run them in all my race cars. My current C4 has an 8 qt canton pan for even better measure.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM
slo_z28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Melling select pumps are fine, you'll want to spend your money on the oil pan.

Get notified of new replies

To SBC Oil Pump for a Race Car? Opinions?

Quick Reply: SBC Oil Pump for a Race Car? Opinions?