Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Z51 smooth rotors for track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Z51 smooth rotors for track?

I know the whole story on drilled (and even slotted) rotors cracking on the track.

Question: Who makes an affordable and decent smooth rotor that you by and trash at the track? I found some Centric's at KNS, but not sure thay are smooth

I plan to use XP8/XP10 Carbotech pads as my 1st hi-perf pad
Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think most everyone is just using Napa blanks. Though I'm running DBA slotted rotors (C4), since the slot doesn't go all the way through, they're maybe 0.100" deep.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

kns lists the slotted and drilled dba rotors
but has centrics that are blanks
or you might be able to just get them to order the dba blanks

btw the slotted dba 5000 front and slotted regular dba rears is roughly 500 bucks (you might even be able to get them to do a package deal) - Id opt for that.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:49 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thatonedude1
I know the whole story on drilled (and even slotted) rotors cracking on the track.

Question: Who makes an affordable and decent smooth rotor that you by and trash at the track? I found some Centric's at KNS, but not sure thay are smooth

I plan to use XP8/XP10 Carbotech pads as my 1st hi-perf pad
... tell us "the whole story about the drilled (and even slotted) Z51 rotors cracking on the track"

The OEM Z51 rotor has never cracked on track to my knowledge and you're wasting you $$$ if you buy something else mostly made out of hype, cast iron and another generous dose of hype.

Last edited by rbl; 01-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Originally Posted by rbl
... tell us "the whole story about the drilled (and even slotted) Z51 rotors cracking on the track"

The OEM Z51 rotor has never cracked on track to my knowledge and you're wasting you $$$ if you buy something else mostly made out of hype, cast iron and another generous dose of hype.
I'm not sure if you are serious, but I have heard from many in this forum of drilled Z51 OEM rotors cracking and not to expect them to last on the car if tracking it. The web is full of this stuff. Do your own research if interested.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Contact Ken at KNSbrakes.com he is very knowledgable and the source of my DBA rotors. He will help you decide on what you need.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:16 AM
MartyZ51
Instructor

I agree that the OEM rotors don't fail. In three years of aggressive track use I've never had one crack all the way through. The surface gets pretty rough and the hairlines turn into deeper ridges but they don't fail. I usually replace them at the beginning of the season because they can make the tech people a little nervous

I just can't make the math work on the expensive rotor replacements verses buying GM Rotors from Gene.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

Default Others chime in

I'd love to be wrong on this topic, as it would simplify and reduce cost my track cost. I only did 2 track days on mine (with stock pds and tires), but have heard other recommend getting the rotors off before they crack.
Marty or others: if you are using OEM Z51 C6 drilled rotors on the track, what pads are you using, what tires, cooling ducts? what is your cool down method? How many track days before you exceed wear limits or see too many cracks to continue? I would love to hear more good stories than bad.
Mike.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:09 PM
rbl
Drifting

I'm not sure if you are serious, but I have heard from many in this forum of drilled Z51 OEM rotors cracking and not to expect them to last on the car if tracking it. The web is full of this stuff. Do your own research if interested.
Then this is your lucky day ... you are completely wrong.

MartyZ51 is right on the money.

And since you're sort of a smarty pants I too have had (3) Z51 cars, done about 100 track events and HAVE NEVER HAD ONE OEM Z51 ROTOR CRACK ... The C5 rotors crack routinely and so do the high dollar ones.

It sounds like you might need to do some research ... if you're interested of course ... However, you deserve the best so get some of those DBA rotors and drive safe.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

RBL, I'm not sure what I said that was smarty pants, but you seem to be the type that makes this forum almost more trouble than it is worth. I mentoned the "whole story about cracked drilled rotors" because I did not want everyone to feel like they had to educate me that drilled rotors tend to crack, because I have already read/heard a bunch of that info right on this forum, and was told directly by corvette guys at the track. I just wanted help looking for a source of blank rotors for Z51. I took your opinion and Marty's also, and also your advice to do even more research. What I found thru google was a lot of info going back years, much of it that led back to threads on this forum, and to which you (and some others) have commented that the Z51 rotors are a good rotor and that you have had good service from them on the track. At the same time, there were many others in those threads that said they cracked and destroyed the OEM C6 rotors in just a few track days. They recommended aftermarket rotors. So while I'm inclined to keep trying my OEM rotors on the track, I find it disingenuous that you make smarty pants comments to imply that I am way off base in questioning these rotors for the track. Marty, thanks for your objective comments, I have learned a good bit from your other posts as well.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 PM
MartyZ51
Instructor

I'd love to be wrong on this topic, as it would simplify and reduce cost my track cost. I only did 2 track days on mine (with stock pds and tires), but have heard other recommend getting the rotors off before they crack.
Marty or others: if you are using OEM Z51 C6 drilled rotors on the track, what pads are you using, what tires, cooling ducts? what is your cool down method? How many track days before you exceed wear limits or see too many cracks to continue? I would love to hear more good stories than bad.
Mike.
I run ZO6 Cooling ducts with spindle mounts to direct the air directly at the rotor. I've converted the front calipers to stainless steel pistons and braided lines. I use Carbotech XP10 or XP12 pads on the front. I try to buy used Z51 rotors from the forum members who upgrade to the big brake kits. When I can't get used I buy new ones from Gene. As far as I know, there is not a Z51 sized non-drilled rotor for these cars. The GM Z51 rotors won't fail catastrophically so I typically start each year on a "new" set.

I continue to learn that most upgrades I consider are more of a want than a need. I could have saved a ton of money over the last 12 years of this hobby by simply replacing or upgrading parts as they broke verses trying to be proactive. You know how it is....we can rationalize any upgrade. The truth of the matter is that even within the HPDE community probably less than 15% of drivers exceed the ability of the car. A perfect example of this is brake fluid. People spend unbelievable amounts of money on small bottles of this liquid gold when O'Reilly has DOT 4 that works perfectly for a fraction of the price.

Just an opinion but you know everyone has one....
Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 AM
rbl
Drifting

RBL, I'm not sure what I said that was smarty pants, but you seem to be the type that makes this forum almost more trouble than it is worth. I mentoned the "whole story about cracked drilled rotors" because I did not want everyone to feel like they had to educate me that drilled rotors tend to crack, because I have already read/heard a bunch of that info right on this forum, and was told directly by corvette guys at the track. I just wanted help looking for a source of blank rotors for Z51. I took your opinion and Marty's also, and also your advice to do even more research. What I found thru google was a lot of info going back years, much of it that led back to threads on this forum, and to which you (and some others) have commented that the Z51 rotors are a good rotor and that you have had good service from them on the track. At the same time, there were many others in those threads that said they cracked and destroyed the OEM C6 rotors in just a few track days. They recommended aftermarket rotors. So while I'm inclined to keep trying my OEM rotors on the track, I find it disingenuous that you make smarty pants comments to imply that I am way off base in questioning these rotors for the track. Marty, thanks for your objective comments, I have learned a good bit from your other posts as well.
The smarty pants was you telling me Do your own research if interested.

However, if you have now done yours, and read those threads again, you will discover that almost all, if not all, negative stuff was from arm chair racers regurtating what they "heard" with their opinions. 99% of them did NOT have a Z51 car or the experience - like you - with this rotor. That requires sorting out the hype from the facts (doing the research). Frankly I don't care what you do and I think you have your "types" confused.

MartyZ51 is again right on the money. Take his advice and you can not go wrong. Perfectly balanced. The brake fluid is a great example.

He is especially perceptive in that only 10-20% of the folks can actually out drive a stock car on street tires - I'm probably not one of them though. Less than 10% can out drive it on good rubber with stock brakes.

Enjoy -
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Marty, great sensible advice, thanks. I'm going to use your advice as my guide.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Z51 smooth rotors for track?

Quick Reply: 2009 Z51 smooth rotors for track?