Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettes in NASA ST1 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Corvettes in NASA ST1 Question

Hey guys, I'm working on a project (more theory than anything else at this point) and it leads me to asking this question of you:

How hard is it to get a Corvette (whether a C5/C6 or LS6/LS2/LS3/LS7) to NASA's 5.5:1 ST1 ratio? Are the motors too stressed out? Is it difficult to get the weight out of the car?

Thank you in advance for any insight you provide.

DMP
Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

They're easy to make light. I've got my car down to 2850 w/o me in it and 1/2 tank of fuel. I could go lighter with lexan and fancy carbon body panels etc. If you were using a C6Z with an aluminum frame it'd be another 100lbs lighter.

For some reason the LS2/3/7 have had oiling issues unless properly dry sumped vs. the LS6 which seems to do OK wet sump (well unless you're Danny Popp). Also, the LS7 was having a valve guide wear issue from side loading of the off-set rocker arms. Lots of posts in the C6Z section about broken valves.

I'd start with a steel chassis, ACP or Blackdog race body panels, and then dry sump whatever motor you decided to go with. Check out RMackintosh's build thread "And so it begins..." for a nice all out build.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...it-begins.html
Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dave,

You can build a competitive ST1 car without stressing engine if you decide to take the penalty for slicks. i.e. 6.2 lbs per HP.

George Smith won ST1 at Nationals in 2010 on slicks. Aaron Pfadt had a car just as fast that year (a stock LS7 engine with 3 seasons on it) on slicks. Both were dry sump cars.

At 3000 lbs that would put you at approx. 485 HP, which I think you can make very dependable, whether you use an LS3 or an LS7.

On DOT's at 3000 lbs. that is approx. 545 HP. or approx. 640 HP engine (a viper engine). That means camshafts above .625 and probably Jessel rocker shafts etc., etc, etc on an LS engine.

J.R.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

swapping in an ls1??
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Its real hard & not reliable at all. Stay in a snake I like having dodge competition. Just kidding. I have built a couple snakes. 1 was 1000hp. The vette is cheaper in all aspects. Your not going to be running a stock engine . Built LS engines are cheaper much more competition. I'm having trouble only making required power.

Last edited by John B; 01-31-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

So making HP, or lowering the weight, is not a problem without stroking a motor?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:55 AM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
So making HP, or lowering the weight, is not a problem without stroking a motor?
The stroke of a 6.2 or 7.0 would not need to be increased to get to 500-550rwhp. You would need a quality race build of the engine for longevity. The more pieces you remove the lighter the car. In my case we completely stripped,sandblasted frame & built from there. What exactly are you getting at here? Feel free to call me if you would like.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John B
The stroke of a 6.2 or 7.0 would not need to be increased to get to 500-550rwhp. You would need a quality race build of the engine for longevity. The more pieces you remove the lighter the car. In my case we completely stripped,sandblasted frame & built from there. What exactly are you getting at here? Feel free to call me if you would like.
How much does your car weigh now? Where do you think you found the biggest weight savings after your typical interior gutting?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John B
I have been asked by a sanctioning body for ideas on how to increase participation in certain classes. I don't have any authority, but I can express my opinion.

One idea I have is to move to a "power-to-weight ratio" type of class. But before I do that I want to make sure that certain cars can "get there" within reason. Since NASA's ST1 5.5:1 is one of the more aggressive ratios out there, that's why I asked about meeting its number.

The one concern I do have is how to effectively monitor these numbers. So many people have said in different discussions that it is pretty easy to "cheat" the chassis dyno. I know NARRA uses Traqmate as a back-up, and they claim the biggest discrepancy they've seen is 9 HP.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Dyno combined with Traqmate is about the best monitoring there is.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been asked by a sanctioning body for ideas on how to increase participation in certain classes. I don't have any authority, but I can express my opinion.

One idea I have is to move to a "power-to-weight ratio" type of class. But before I do that I want to make sure that certain cars can "get there" within reason. Since NASA's ST1 5.5:1 is one of the more aggressive ratios out there, that's why I asked about meeting its number.

The one concern I do have is how to effectively monitor these numbers. So many people have said in different discussions that it is pretty easy to "cheat" the chassis dyno. I know NARRA uses Traqmate as a back-up, and they claim the biggest discrepancy they've seen is 9 HP.
I hope it's SCCA. As my car sits now, it's only purpose in life in NASA's ST2 class, which is not a horrible thing, but having the option to run in SCCA once in a while is important to me. Unfortunately, my car is far too gone for T1 and I would get slaughtered in STO. So I have been thinking about a motor for STO that I can also run in ST1. It would be great if SCCA had a similar set up to our Super Touring rules.

Sadly people are always going to find a way to cheat and we are just club racing for some of the cheapest trophies you can find... yeah some tires for some and even some contingencies, but at the end of the day, it is clubracing.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

For monitoring, just take a look at the threads we have on the NASA forums. Whatever you suggest, the rules and requirements and monitoring devices MUST be the same for ALL competitors.

For instance, at NASA Nationals, I am subject to dyno testing via a dyno on site and acquisition data via a device they install in my car. However, they only bring a 2wd dyno to the event. So an AWD car never has to go across the dyno, they are only subject to the data acquistion. The reason this is not fair is because I can be disqualified for being one (1) horsepower over my limit on the dyno. Yet that same one hp will not show up on data acquisition, therefore the AWD car is not subject to the same scrutiny as the 2wd car.

-Kevin
Old 02-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Rednels
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
For monitoring, just take a look at the threads we have on the NASA forums. Whatever you suggest, the rules and requirements and monitoring devices MUST be the same for ALL competitors.

For instance, at NASA Nationals, I am subject to dyno testing via a dyno on site and acquisition data via a device they install in my car. However, they only bring a 2wd dyno to the event. So an AWD car never has to go across the dyno, they are only subject to the data acquistion. The reason this is not fair is because I can be disqualified for being one (1) horsepower over my limit on the dyno. Yet that same one hp will not show up on data acquisition, therefore the AWD car is not subject to the same scrutiny as the 2wd car.

-Kevin
Agreed, they need an AWD dyno at Nationals.....

I can see not having one in regional races, but it's a must at Nationals IMO.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Hey guys, I'm working on a project (more theory than anything else at this point) and it leads me to asking this question of you:

How hard is it to get a Corvette (whether a C5/C6 or LS6/LS2/LS3/LS7) to NASA's 5.5:1 ST1 ratio? Are the motors too stressed out? Is it difficult to get the weight out of the car?

Thank you in advance for any insight you provide.

DMP
Dave,

To answer your question, It is not hard to get weight out of a Corvette or to make enough power to run in a 5.5:1 class. It is just expensive....as it is with any car at that pwr/wt ratio.

Hell, my car had to be ballasted to make the class and I had a small displacement engine.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by travisnd

For some reason the LS2/3/7 have had oiling issues unless properly dry sumped vs. the LS6 which seems to do OK wet sump (well unless you're Danny Popp).

OEM LS6's seem to be ok, as the original engine was in James' car until RA in Dec. of 2010. That engine lasted for 6 years no issues , until bang-o. The replacement engine ( which was a late production CTSV engine) only lasted 6 months in the same environment, same engine speeds. James and I discovered when taking somethings apart, that the premature anaylsis was incorrect about oil starving the engine as the rod journal of the escaped rod was not heated , or spun. Seems to be rod bolt failure. All engines are not the same, the last one while fast, was not as good as the first one which was also fast and lasted ALOT longer.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm.... the newer motor still have the sleeved rod bolts? Or, did GM go back to a cheaper rod bolt for the CTSV application?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes in NASA ST1 Question

Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Dave,

To answer your question, It is not hard to get weight out of a Corvette or to make enough power to run in a 5.5:1 class. It is just expensive....as it is with any car at that pwr/wt ratio.

Hell, my car had to be ballasted to make the class and I had a small displacement engine.
Thank you, Danny. I almost called you directly, but thought it better to get other people's input in this manner.

I don't know if this will go anywhere, but I am bringing it up for discussion with the "powers to be."
Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave.. Can you mention to them about the ST2 class. Just like Alex mentioned we (ST2) have alot of cars that are not T1 legal but not quite up to STO power levels. Having another place to play would help grow both racing orgs.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Dave.. Can you mention to them about the ST2 class. Just like Alex mentioned we (ST2) have alot of cars that are not T1 legal but not quite up to STO power levels.
You're car is 2 secs/lap quicker than the STO Road Atlanta record

Quick Reply: Corvettes in NASA ST1 Question