Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Wheel spacers

Is it safe to run wheels spacers on the track? I can't seem to find many options in a 18x11 offset +68 for my fronts and don't see a point to spending $1500 for some fronts.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

bump
Old 02-01-2012, 08:52 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I use 1/8" spacers on the front of my C5 with stock studs. So far I haven't had any issues. There are conflicting opinions about the spacers effect on the hub-centric mounting of the wheel, but I read some technical data somewhere that the wheel is almost 100% fully supported by the lug nuts and not the hub. Also, wheel spacers put more load on the hub bearings which probably affect their life span.

Now with all that said, I just swapped over to longer ARP wheel studs.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:27 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sperkins
I use 1/8" spacers on the front of my C5 with stock studs. So far I haven't had any issues. There are conflicting opinions about the spacers effect on the hub-centric mounting of the wheel, but I read some technical data somewhere that the wheel is almost 100% fully supported by the lug nuts and not the hub. Also, wheel spacers put more load on the hub bearings which probably affect their life span.

Now with all that said, I just swapped over to longer ARP wheel studs.
My plan if I do it is to do billet spacer and arp studs. How big would you run in spacers before you felt uncomfortable?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I personally would not want to run over about 1/2" spacers, just better to buy proper wheels. I also run 1/8" spacers with no problems, it still engages almost all of the OEM thread and still catches the hubcentric ring.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I think mine on front are at least 1/4", more likely 3/16". I've ran them since my autox days when I was fighting tire rub and have just left them in place ever since. I don't replace hubs any more frequently than anyone else, and probably less often than Varkwso.

Edit: FWIW, when you are shopping for spacers, "S-10 spacers" are a lot cheaper than "Corvette spacers" if you know what I mean.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
I think mine on front are at least 1/4", more likely 3/16". I've ran them since my autox days when I was fighting tire rub and have just left them in place ever since. I don't replace hubs any more frequently than anyone else, and probably less often than Varkwso.

Edit: FWIW, when you are shopping for spacers, "S-10 spacers" are a lot cheaper than "Corvette spacers" if you know what I mean.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
maw455
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I run 3/8" spacers on my fronts with C5 Z06 Rear wheels & ARP studs with no issues. This is to clear bigger brakes on the front. I purchased the spacers from Randy at DRM and they are really nice machined billet pieces. Here's a link: http://dougrippie.com/?p=408

There is just enough hub engagement to help center the wheel, but the studs/lug nuts support the wheel, not the hub center. DRM also makes a larger spacer with a built in hub to center the wheels if you need more space. DRM has been making these spacers for some time with no issues according to Randy. Give him a call, he'll fix you up.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I have run 3/8 for a while no issues. I am needing to try a much bigger spacer so we'll see how that goes.

With 3/8 the rim does not even touch the hub lip, so if anyone tell's you that a Vette rim/bearing is hub centric, ignore them, they don't know what they are talking about.

They are lug centric.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run 1/2" occasionally front and back on 07 Z, and drive my street 911 TT with 1" spacers. Porsches race all the time with spacers. No problems what so ever.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel spacers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel spacers