Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No tpms at track question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 AM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default No tpms at track question

If I run tires at road course withOUT tpms will power be limited or go to limp mode. Or can I still go 7/10 ? thanks
David
Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
theVcar
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

help
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

C5 or C6?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely it will go in limp mode. Big risk to take after spending all that money and time to get there. I have a set mounted in my track wheels and bought the tool to reset the computer when I change out the wheels.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by theVcar
If I run tires at road course withOUT tpms will power be limited or go to limp mode. Or can I still go 7/10 ? thanks
David
Personally, I really like knowing what my tire pressures are - I wouldn't run track events without tire pressure sensors!!

However, I looked in your profile and see that you have a 2006 - and that's good news for running without sensors.

I have a 2006 and have experimented around with it and agree with the Owner's Manual info. In the Owner's Manual it says that if you run with no sensors, or sensors that aren't programmed into the TPMS computer in the car (same as running without any!), you have approximately 60 minutes before you will get the "Service Tire Monitor" message and possibly encounter the limp mode.

In later model years that time period was reduced to 30 minutes, then in about '09 down to about 20 minutes.

So....in your '06 I believe you'll have about 60 minutes engine running time before you might have a problem.

What are you doing at the track???

If you're just running HPDE's with 20 to 30 minute sessions, I think you'll probably be okay.

If you drive the car more than an hour to the track with no sensors, after about 60 minutes of driving (without shutting down the car - every time you start a new ignition cycle you'll have another hour), you'll get the "Service Tire Monitor" message and won't be able to go into Comp mode or turn AH off completely.

If you were in Comp mode or running with AH off, AH will come back full on when you get that message, and you might have some limp mode issues.

With a 2005 or 2006, after you stop and shut down the ignition, when you restart you should be able to clear any DIC alerts, go into Comp, and have another hour before you have problems again.

That's with a set of 4 wheels/tires with no sensors.

Some drag strip guys have tried just swapping DR's with no sensors onto the rear and leaving their street tires with sensors on the front. The car knows almost immediately after you start driving that it's getting transmissions from 2 sensors and no transmissions from the other 2. In that case it will go into a very serious limp mode and give you all kind of problems.

So....either have sensors in all 4 wheels, or don't have any sensors at all!!

Bottom line - I think you're better off in a 2005 or 2006 where I believe you'll have about 60 minutes of engine running time before having a problem. That should give you plenty of time for most track day sessions, and if you are running some endurance session and get the DIC message, pull onto pit row, shut down, restart, and head back out onto the track for another hour of fun!!!

My LS7 gets about 5-1/2 mpg on the track - and with my 18 gallon tank that's 99 miles from full to tank dry!! When running Daytona and averaging more than 100mph for a lap, I couldn't run an hour anyway without a pit stop!!

IMHO, I recommend get tire pressure sensors for your track wheels/tires, get a TPMS tool to program the sensors into the TPMS computer in the car every time you swap wheels, and enjoy knowing your tire pressures on the track!!

Bob
Old 02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
theVcar
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I will probably get the sensors. What aftermarket do most of you use?

David
Old 02-03-2012, 04:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by theVcar
I will probably get the sensors. What aftermarket do most of you use?

David
Aftermarket??? I only have ever used OEM!!

Our OE sensors are made by Schrader.

For the 2005-2009 C6 the OE sensor is gray peanut shaped sensor with GM Part# 25758220.

Go to eBay and do a search for "25758220". You'll get a list of stuff currently available on there. Most of is the gray OE sensor, and some of it is for a Dorman aftermarket sensor. I don't see any on there right now, but Oro-Tek also makes some aftermarket ones. Some Forum members have reported good luck with the aftermarket ones.

You might also see a red sensor that looks exactly like the gray one. It's a Schrader sensor that is distributed outside of the GM parts system - so, basically an OE sensor.

There is also currently listed a square shaped sensor. That sensor was used in the 2004 XLR and the very early 2005 XLR and C6 (built before about Sept 2004). That sensor will work, but it's going on 8 years old, so I think I'd avoid it - the sensors have a "design life" of 10 years (mainly based on expected battery life), so get newer ones. They only seem to have one available anyway. They say it's out of a 2008 XLR, but I don't believe it - that part# sensor has not been available in the GM parts system for at least 7 years that I know of.

The one good thing about that square sensor is that you can trigger it during the programming procedure with a magnet - so no need for a TPMS tool - at least until you put your street wheels back on!!

I recommend going to one of the Forum vendors - Gene Culley or Parts Taxi.

You'll also need a TPMS tool - take a look on eBay while you're there (search for "TPMS tool") and you'll see them from probably $150 and up.

Forum vendor Katech has a good tool available for $100.

Bob
Old 02-03-2012, 04:19 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best source I found for TPMS cheap is actually Tire Rack. FWIW, I woudl definitely put them on because if you don't and the car goes into the limp mode where it switches the active handling back on, you won't like the results. I overheated my brakes due to an overactive active handling when this happened and had an off at about 140 mph. I now ALWAYS put TPMS in my wheels. Also, FWIW, I have an '07.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mines a c5

I ran last week at two events without TPMS and I didnt notice a diff other than the DIC talkin trash.

Will I have a problem and not have 100% power if I leave them out in my 99???
Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alludc
I ran last week at two events without TPMS and I didnt notice a diff other than the DIC talkin trash.

Will I have a problem and not have 100% power if I leave them out in my 99???
The C5 is a whole different animal from the C6!!!

Different model years of the C6 have different tolerances for running with no sensors - the later years seem to accept running without them better than the early years.

I think you can just clear the DIC and keep on driving in the C5.

In the C6, the early years especially, the worst problem is if you have some sensors in some wheels, and no sensors in others.

I was having trouble programming one sensor at an event in my 2006. I just went out with 3 programmed and one that I couldn't program. BAAAADDDD idea!!!

The car bordered on unsafe. The AH was jerking the car around by applying individaul brakes when I turned in, and the worst part was that the limp mode wouldn't give me any throttle response at all until there were no lateral G's or yaw on the car - I had to completely unwind the wheel before the throttle would respond at all. If somebody had been on my butt they probably would have rear-ended me!!!

I limped into the paddock, got out my TPMS tool, and tried reprogramming a couple times until I got all the sensors programmed in. I went back out for the rest of the session and had no problems at all.

Different model years of the C6 seem to have different programming that gives slightly different responses to running with no sensors. I've tried it in my 2009 on the street and did not have the problems that my 2006 was throwing at me.

Bob
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your taking the tires with the TPMS in them mark where on the car they came from and after each run roll them beside the correct tire and your good to go. Never had my 06 ZO6 go into the limp mode.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Sensoren

I have the tire pressure sensors on the track did not like.
In high heat conditions with slick tires / carbon brakes and racing brakes or make things much ****ing trouble!

On my C5 I do not even mounted and it is soo good.
On the Z06 and the ZR1, I've had so many problems.
At Monza, with about 275Kmh failure / error message ...
Shortly before I had overtaken a GT2, shortly after the fault / failure of a sensor.
The system had slowed to 89Kmh me strong!
Can you imagine how scared in this situation?
The Porsche driver behind me had no joy to me, because he is almost driven to the wall behind me when to dodge.
In the box he has visited me and asked: Are you still normal in the head?
I could not say more than: American Electronics ...

Cölestin
Old 02-04-2012, 06:25 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

C5 no problems what so ever.

C6s it depends. Some of the early year C6s did not have "many" problems.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 GS and from reading this, I'm convinced I'll need to get TPMS for the track wheels I'm about to buy.

Sounds like I'll also need to buy the TPMS tool. If I understand correctly, I need to use the tool when I put on track wheels/tires, and then use it again to program when I put street wheels/tires back on. Is this correct?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
I have a 2012 GS and from reading this, I'm convinced I'll need to get TPMS for the track wheels I'm about to buy.

Sounds like I'll also need to buy the TPMS tool. If I understand correctly, I need to use the tool when I put on track wheels/tires, and then use it again to program when I put street wheels/tires back on. Is this correct?
Exactly
Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

If it's a C6, and you are competent driving with AH/TC shut completely off, then shut it off, EACH SESSION, BEFORE you go on track. Once it starts "acting up" on track, you are screwed for (likely) the rest of the day. If you shut everything completely down (hold button 10 sec or so) you should be fine, no ah/tc but ABS will still work fine.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
If it's a C6, and you are competent driving with AH/TC shut completely off, then shut it off, EACH SESSION, BEFORE you go on track. Once it starts "acting up" on track, you are screwed for (likely) the rest of the day. If you shut everything completely down (hold button 10 sec or so) you should be fine, no ah/tc but ABS will still work fine.
I always put the car in competition mode before I head out on the track. I don't want the nannies helping me. I want full control of car.

Get notified of new replies

To No tpms at track question

Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
I always put the car in competition mode before I head out on the track. I don't want the nannies helping me. I want full control of car.
For a C6, I've been through this and its a headache (all the TPMS sensors and canisters to fake out the system, and different ways to defeat it). If you only have one set of extra wheels, then just get sensors and be done with it. Yes you'll need the tool to reprogram each time you mount a set. I have the tool you can borrow on the 27th at ECR FYI. Comp mode ON is different than all nannies off, its far far less intrusive then Active Handling ON, but its still limiting the ability to trail brake and push the car to the limit all the time.

For my last outing, I disconnected the YAW/Acceleration sensor and said heck with it; got lots of error messages but they don't matter nor do they intrude. It probably limits the cars ability to dynamically control ABS while turning (read: trail braking) but its better than any other alternative when your stranded at the track with a car that won't let you drive it properly.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

I run a C6 without tc/ah and no TPMs all the time. Never had an issue. Just have to turn everything off like David said above.

Jim
Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I know some guys that run a pressurized cylinder (PVC) mounted in back cargo area containing sensors. Car thinks everything is A OK.

Quick Reply: No tpms at track question