Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Discount Drivers School

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 PM
gsxnut
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Discount Drivers School

I would like to attend a drivers school and I am looking for discounts. Anyone have suggestions?

Mark
Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

See if your local NASA region has a worker program.
Usually work 2 weekends and you get to drive the next.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What type of school are you looking for ? What is your experience level ? The big name schools like Spring Mountain or Bertil Roos are VERY expensive. Local HPDE - High Performance Driving Education - are available from many organizations in your area, NASA and others. These are probably the best for the beginning driver. Most two day events run in the neighborhood of $350 - 500. They include in car instruction as well as classroom time.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
justkickin
Instructor

What kind of school? Advanced or 'get your license'? I will assume advanced.

Check your local car clubs. Most will offer some sort of autocross school that would be a good start to advanced driving. If you are already there, check with local sports car clubs for an HPDE or similar. These often occur on a race track, so can be more costly.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Evolution performance driving school. Learn the basics first.

http://evoschool.com/
Old 02-04-2012, 08:54 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

http://www.aroschpd.org/events/2012/feb2012_sw.html
Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Hooked on Driving offers class room and instructors for free. Their events are well structured and spread out across the US and prices are about what you would pay to get on any decent track. Worth a look: http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-events
Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by punz
Hooked on Driving offers class room and instructors for free. Their events are well structured and spread out across the US and prices are about what you would pay to get on any decent track. Worth a look: http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-events
Search for HPDE and check out the track events. Some of the best instruction one can get. After you learn the basics and get a good feel of the car then you might consider a driving school. Most schools are expensive and I believe you would get more out of it if you had some experience on track beforehand. Of course, you may already have some experience but the original post didn't say.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I like the hooked on driving events a lot.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gsxnut
I would like to attend a drivers school and I am looking for discounts. Anyone have suggestions?

Mark
long drive but ill teach you 130 bucks total all the track time you can handle in one day..i show you most of my best stuff!!! pm me
Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM
gsxnut
Racer

Thanks for all the great responses. I have done 3-4 HPDE and less than 10 Autocross. I have done one autocross school from local chapter and heard the Evolution was a great deal. I have also done Hooked-on-Driving at Daytona last December. They were a little overwhelmed so the I did not have an instructor first time out. I had to do a follow behind. The instructor I followed was kind enough to take a ride along with me.

My experience with SCCA and Hook-on Driving was they gave some feedback about the location on the course but not much else. I have not had any classroom time which may be something I need. I was thinking of going to one of schools such as Bondurant, Spring Mountain etc but was looking for a discount and did not know if anyone had one.

I know some of my trouble areas like heal-to-toe downshifting and not getting on the gas soon enough through the corners.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I know some of my trouble areas like heal-to-toe downshifting and not getting on the gas soon enough through the corners.

Thanks,

Mark
Heel and Toe can be picked up in an hour or so in any empty parking lot of your choice. As far as accelerating out of the apex, a good skid pad experience will accelerate your gaining confidence. Think about this: is it better to let off the throttle if the rear steps out? Would it be better to float the throttle? Or would it be better to have some throttle dialed in while counter steering/correcting? Do your studying and think about the forces acting upon the suspension in these scenarios.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks for all the great responses. I have done 3-4 HPDE and less than 10 Autocross. I have done one autocross school from local chapter and heard the Evolution was a great deal. I have also done Hooked-on-Driving at Daytona last December. They were a little overwhelmed so the I did not have an instructor first time out. I had to do a follow behind. The instructor I followed was kind enough to take a ride along with me.

My experience with SCCA and Hook-on Driving was they gave some feedback about the location on the course but not much else. I have not had any classroom time which may be something I need. I was thinking of going to one of schools such as Bondurant, Spring Mountain etc but was looking for a discount and did not know if anyone had one.

Thanks,

Mark
Hi mark!
We'd love to have you take a course with us at spring mountain. We offer a 10% discount to corvette forum members. Call us here at the track or pm me if you have any other questions.
Cheers!
Vic.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks,

Mark
If you ran HPDE with NASA you should have done HPDE 1 & 2 before doing 3-4. 1&2 both require classroom and ride along instruction.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are looking for instructor/coaching during HPDE, it helps if you let the club/business know in advance so they can make sure they have someone assigned to you familiar with your kind of car and your experience/goals.

I would say that out of all clubs/businesses I have ran with - which is probably about a dozen at this point, all over west coast - HOD (NorCal) and Porsche club had the highest standard for instructors.

btw, HOD has a "how to" video on H&T, this can be a good place to start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGtx9xXhlM

Last edited by longdaddy; 02-07-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Discount Drivers School

Quick Reply: Looking for Discount Drivers School