Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Data Logger for autocross

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:08 AM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Data Logger for autocross

I am looking for the best data logger to replay each autocross run on.
I am looking to break the course into 4-6 segments, do splits and use the information the same day.
Am I asking for too much? What Data Logger has that capability, if any?
Will R.L.C. Micro Pod do that?
Thanks for your input.
MK
Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 AM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check into the Aim Solo. They have an upgraded one also called the SoloDL that connects to and logs data from the cars ECU. Does lap times, GPS based position, speed and predictive lap times (no beacon needed), etc.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
JoeDubya
Advanced

Hi. I would bet that several dataloggers will do what you want. The one I use
is the race-technology.com AX22. It will do all you ask and more. Ideally, you
will want a PC/tablet to run the data analysis software, which is really where
you get the value of any datalogger system. The application allows you to
see a map of the course, choose your segments, see your position on course
and run several runs simultaneously to see where you gained and lost those
tenths of a second.

You should go to any datalogger's vendor site and try the software out. They
usually give out their software for free, and give out sample data files for you
to play with. Most of the data files are road-race oriented, but if you post to
autocross forums, folks will certainly send you some of their data files.

You want a system that has good GPS and accelerometers.

Last edited by JoeDubya; 02-05-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:37 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

My friend and I bought a whole system from Veracity Data. 805 238-1699 Talk to David. He sells all brands. We bought a Race Technology DL1 MK3. You have to hardwire the brake pressure and steering wheel angle. Throttle position and rpm come from the OBD2 port. We just got it, and used it for one autocross. I believe we will be much better drivers by the end of the year, because of this.

Steve A.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

A DL1 is great and has the option for a dash display (useless for auto-x, but good for track).

No need to buy the OBD2 adapter with a C5 - just directly wire tps/brake pressure/steering angle/rpm.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 AM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

Many thanks for all the input. I'll do more research and will be back.
MK
Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get the brand that everyone else in your region is using, that way you can compare data.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

RLC Track Commander ... seems better adapted to autocross than most ... any comments?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

How are you going to log rpm/brake pressure/tps/steering?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 AM
GCMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by alextz
I would get the brand that everyone else in your region is using, that way you can compare data.
Very good idea especially if you have several people in your class so you can compare their runs to yours. Even more so when they are faster than you to see what their lines are and over play those vs yours.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I see this argument all the time and I don't get it. Unless someone is running a very similar car/setup, this type of comparison is useless. Not all cars are fast on the same lines/braking points/etc. Differing tire ages will have an effect, not to mention different tires.
The only comparison to someone else that would be useful would be if someone else drove your car and went faster. In any other scenario you don't know whether you are picking up differences between the cars, the setups or the drivers.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
JoeDubya
Advanced

If you have a small bit of programming expertise or if there is one such person
in your group, it is not difficult to export/convert the data file from one brand
of logger to that of another, so all data can be compared. Here is a site where
folks run/compare their data, uploaded from different dataloggers. A few of mine
are there...

http://www.racingchart.com

http://www.racingchart.com/compareCh...1506&run1=1505
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM
GCMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I see this argument all the time and I don't get it. Unless someone is running a very similar car/setup, this type of comparison is useless. Not all cars are fast on the same lines/braking points/etc. Differing tire ages will have an effect, not to mention different tires.
The only comparison to someone else that would be useful would be if someone else drove your car and went faster. In any other scenario you don't know whether you are picking up differences between the cars, the setups or the drivers.
If you are running in SS class against other C5Z's (which is probably the most common car in that class) than the comparisons are very interesting and useful. There isn't much you can change and pretty much everyone is using A6's for tires. At national events you pretty much do have a codriver and the differences in time reflect different lines/braking points/etc. We used them locally in CSP class and I found having 4 drivers data to overlay was very useful. But each to your own.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Yes, in a spec or nearly spec class, makes sense.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelkrelina
RLC Track Commander ... seems better adapted to autocross than most ... any comments?
Many of the systems designed for the track will not work well for autocross. A lot of them lack the ability to set separate start/finish on the device. We have a couple of Track Commanders, super easy to use, perhaps one of the easiest. However, you only have a single simultaneous start/finish trip, and with most autocross courses never ending where they started you wont be able to record the data as a "run". You would have to go back after the fact and dictate the finish after you download the data.

I recently had a call from AiM, and they are looking at an autocross specific program for the new Solo device. I would check with them.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 AM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

I'm posting the following question with RLC re: Track Commander.
Does anyone have comments? (or have additional questions to pass to RLC?)
1. Can the software handle an open track where start and finish are in different locations?
2. can you superimpose color-coded consecutive runs and mark off segments
(a) for comparison of runs and segments, do you get a graphic map of the "open track" in autocross
(b) to define an ideal run composed of a combination of best segments
3. How quickly can one transfer the data with USB memory to a laptop for comparisons with other runs (can this be done in less than 5 minutes, including a meaningful analysis?)
4. Is it possible to program the segments into the Track Commander (using distances from run1, for example) and get the segment times directly off the Track Commander? This would save having to transfer the individual runs to a laptop computer for segment analysis.
5. Is there an OBDII adapter for a C5Z for your harness and can this provide throttle position, RPM, steering deflection and brake pressure? Does one need to buy separate sensors?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

1. Ask RLC

2. yes (assuming it will do 1)

3. <5min once you learn the software

4. depends on 1

5. There is an OBD2 adapter, but you will need to enter the hex codes. Only useful things on a C5 OBD2 are rpm and tps. Steering and brake pressure are not in the OBD2 stream. There are sensors are the car. You will need to math process the steering sensors (there are 2), the brake pressure is an easy addition. To add sensors to an RLC, you will need to buy the analog harness ($400!) and they will flip out and not honor their warranty if you don't use their sensors (expensive, pita to install).
Things are better on a CAN car (since all the data is over the CAN bus), but you will still need to know the hex codes of the sensors.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Data Logger for autocross

Quick Reply: Best Data Logger for autocross