Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about coming back to a Corvette for track day fun...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thinking about coming back to a Corvette for track day fun...

Looking at 2010 Grandsport models for a potential repacement for my Porsche 996TT. The package looks great on paper, with a drysump, all the coolers, and the bodywork/suspension/brakes of a Z06. What am I missing here?

Love to hear some feedback, guys!

Mike
Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's see.

996 brakes are far more superior to what you get on any corvette short of Carbon pckged Z06 or ZR1.

Better gear/rear ratios than most corvettes.

much better shifter action (assuming yours is manual)

Arguably, better motor reliability (but order of magnitude more expensive to replace if you do blow it up). Jury is still out if drysump with increased oil tank capacity resolved starvation issues that more "advanced" C6/Z06 drivers have been running into

Having said that, Corvettes make better track cars overall as far as ease/cost of going very, very fast.

I have done several DEs in 996 Turbo. It's a great car but weight and turbo dynamics are irritating limits that I have run into almost immediately. On a tight, technical track, it takes heavy (almost physical) effort to muscle it around at corvette speeds, and my comparison point is 5.7 C5.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Well My 996TT was sold last September and is a non-factor now. I'm considering the C6 or a used 997GT3. The issues with the GT3 that have me looking at the Vette are engine replacement costs, as well as consumables costs.

I loved my 996TT and had a ton of work done to it, to include a complete suspension upgrade (GT3 control arms front and rear/toelinks/motor-trans mounts/custom valved PSS9s) and had to upgrade the gearbox ($11300) when first gear was beyond notchy. I upgraded the brakes as well, to the 6 piston calipers up front and custom Coleman Racing rotors. Everything about the car was great, except for the cost of consumables and repairs when things eventually wear out.

Figured the Grandsport would be worth a look... Z06 cylinder liner issues have me concerned about the LS7 motor.

Mike
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Looking at 2010 Grandsport models for a potential repacement for my Porsche 996TT. The package looks great on paper, with a drysump, all the coolers, and the bodywork/suspension/brakes of a Z06. What am I missing here?

Love to hear some feedback, guys!

Mike
Mike

The GS is a result of the GM engineers asking some of us at a NCM event what we wanted for a track day car?

First thing was a STEEL FRAME, ( to weld a roll cage onto )
then wider fender flairs for bigger tires.
Better brakes
Coolers and a DRY SUMP.
Better suspension.

If not a GS then find a decent C5Z.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

IMHO the GrandSport is the way to go. Almost all of the goodies needed are installed from the factory. Add headers, tune, safety equipment, tires and alignment and you are ready to rock !!!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Mike

The GS is a result of the GM engineers asking some of us at a NCM event what we wanted for a track day car?

First thing was a STEEL FRAME, ( to weld a roll cage onto )
then wider fender flairs for bigger tires.
Better brakes
Coolers and a DRY SUMP.
Better suspension.

If not a GS then find a decent C5Z.
that says it all
Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a T1 car then drive a simple Honda Accord on the street. F* buying a new car just to spend tons of extra money to turn it into a track car and destroy it's value. Even after turning your GS into a track car, I guarantee a T1 car will still eat it for lunch for less than 1/2 the price, and probably be just as or more reliable. The LS6 to me has proven itself as the most durable LSX engine.

I learned my lesson 3 Corvette's later. If I decide to track in the future, my next car is dedicated race car.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

For a track day fun car I would still look at a 2008-2009 Z06 I have seen some great buys. I love my 996TT as well but really miss how easy the z was to live with as a daily driver, cruising range and MPG, putting 6 bags of rock salt in the trunk then driving it to the track throwing on some scrubs and beating a bunch of full race STIs and evos with 400-450awhp at the Lapbattle with a stock LS6 and 110,000 miles on the clock and driving it home.

Last edited by z06801; 02-08-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love to hear some feedback, guys
What happened to the 240Z? :-)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm considering the C6 or a used 997GT3. The issues with the GT3 that have me looking at the Vette are engine replacement costs, as well as consumables costs.
was in a similar boat last year, ended up with a Viper I do not know any 996/997 GT3 drivers who had to buy new engines, for what its worth. I know a few C6 drivers who had to.
If you know you will not trust GM's take on a dry sump in a street car and are going to upgrade the oiling system anyway, and don't care about welding roll bar/cage to aluminium frame rails, I'd go with an older C6Z to start with.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette for track day

I think Longdaddy hit the nail on the head in his first post. I ran a Porsche for a few years then went to a corvette DE car which i now want to turn into a dedicated track car. Corvette is a great car no doubt but you will need to address brakes, oil issues and cooling. That being said buy one done! If you want a cage do not go with an aluminum frame.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Todd has it right.

You have the truck and trailer, go up to Phoenix Performance and buy a T1 car.

http://www.phoenixperformance.net/ph...s_for_sale.php
Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Isn't this what you built the Z car for?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Guys, The Zcar is in the middle of a conversion to FAST fuel injection... It will be THE dedicated track day car. That said, I'm looking at something I can drive day to day that would also fill in when the track car is down for maintenance. This would be a car I could throw a student in the passenger seat of and run around the course in.

Thanks for all the input so far and YES the Zcar is going to be the dedicated track day monster.

Mike
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And not to mention what a great chick magnet the Vette is.

I'd have the GT3 if money wasn't an issue.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Buy a T1 car then drive a simple Honda Accord on the street. F* buying a new car just to spend tons of extra money to turn it into a track car and destroy it's value. Even after turning your GS into a track car, I guarantee a T1 car will still eat it for lunch for less than 1/2 the price, and probably be just as or more reliable. The LS6 to me has proven itself as the most durable LSX engine.

I learned my lesson 3 Corvette's later. If I decide to track in the future, my next car is dedicated race car.
Word.
C5Z, w/bushings, sways, hoosiers and brake pads.
If you get serious, converted circle track car.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

can we hear more about your Z car? pics, sounds cool

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about coming back to a Corvette for track day fun...

Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Clearly a fully dedicated track/race car is the to be the "best" track car... But if some street driving is desired then a Z06 with a few go fast goodies will rule the roost.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Here's a few pics of the Datsun Track car...

383 stroker with FAST XFI ECU/harness and Cutler FI intake/1000CFM TB/42# injectors...

The car is ver minimalist and all business inside. The passenger Seat will be coming out for a cool suit cooler in the late spring. Car gets very warm inside! Also, all the "doodads" bolted to the car were generated directly from our testing at A2 in Mooresville, NC. back in 2007. If it's on the car, it's there for a reason...

We just installed a new lightweight flywheel and Braille Battery, and have a set of CCW wheels/hoosiers that should help keep the weight into the lower 2600-upper 2500 pound range... Unfortunately, getting below that would require removing some of the cage. Full custom suspension with coil overs, large sway bars, adjustable control arms and camber plates at all corners help. Brakes were sourced from Ford's SVO parts bin. The only things I haven't done myself on this car are the cage and the silver paint. Drivetrain is a TKO600 with RR gearing and an Infinity Q45 rear with custom Speedway Engineering axles.

So, I've got the whole track car thing coming to a wrap up here. I want a street car I can take to the track if the need arises. I instruct with a couple clubs and would opt to take the street car to some of those events.

Thanks for the input!
Mike
Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

^^ damn that is Hot Mike

For the occasional track day and driver, then the GS would get my vote.

Quick Reply: Thinking about coming back to a Corvette for track day fun...